Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
fnbrowning
CF Senior Member
 
fnbrowning's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis MO
Default Shameless fine for missing front plate.

Disclaimer: Running without a front plate, for aesthetic reasons, is a violation of law in 2 plate states, and I acknowledge the legal risk of doing this.

Since I purchased the Vette in ‘09, I’ve passed staties, county police, big city po-po, sheriffs, all without incident. Last week, I received my first missing license plate ticket.
Oh, I always knew it could happen, but it was the circumstances of the ticket that got me steamed.

There is a podunk little town in my metro area well known for 60% of the municipal budget coming from traffic citations. The city has been ranked in the top 2 or 3 highest top traffic ticket towns in Missouri. They are known for hiring LEOs that are shiny new, or LEOs that have employment problems with larger, more professional departments. The last police chief was a controversial figure, acquitted in civil cases of sexual misconduct and tried on a misdemeanor charge of employing an unqualified officer.

Last week I was in a hurry to get to a client, and took the shortest route - forgetting I was passing through traffic revenue enhancement central. So when I was pulled over I was perplexed at first. I was doing 34 in a 35mph, good driving habits, etc.

So this baby LEO walks up. He told me why I was being stopped. Ok, got that. But he returns with an electronic ticket with a fine schedule. “Unsecured load” $112.00!! WTF?!!
Then I lost my temper, and without swearing, I told him that he was nothing more than a uniformed tax collector. Having recently read in the local paper an article about another of their officers that lost his license, I pointed asked baby LEO how long he thought he was going to keep his license! ! I could tell that last comment hit the mark! What could he say but a terse “Have a nice day” and stomp off!

The rest of the day I was as I thought about a missing front plate citation being written for a more expensive “Unsecured load” violation. (About a 40% increase in fine $$) After the 2-day waiting period, I called the court clerk to find out what the court costs were for fighting a ticket. Yes I was polite - the court clerks have a thankless job.

Guess what? When I mentioned I was planning to contest a expensive “Unsecured load” charge on a Corvette, she “checked on something” and said the charge was now a “Missing license plate”! Now you all know that was not because of my sterling performance. You all KNOW that court challenges are not handled over the phone - by clerks! Someone in the office may have figured that they were not going to get a fine for an idiotic violation.

In conclusion, I paid the proper fine for a missing plate the next day, and will not drive the Vette through that municipal revenue trap again. But it was what the first egregious violation the officer tried to charge me with, and the general unprofessional conduct of the entire municipality that is a sad issue.
fnbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Dave S
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Dave S's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Jackson NJ
Default

Happens all the time (ticketing for "no front plate") but in your case, I might have been tempted to plead not guilty & have the LEO justify "unsecured load" in traffic court. I know, I know....sometimes it's just not worth the hassle & that's what a lot of the local traffic courts count on.
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
FAsnakes
CF Senior Member
 
FAsnakes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: SoCal
Default

Don't even know what you're crying about..
Just pay the fine.
FAsnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
fnbrowning
CF Senior Member
 
fnbrowning's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAsnakes View Post
Don't even know what you're crying about..
Just pay the fine.
You don't read very well, do you?
fnbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
AORoads
CF Senior Member
 
AORoads's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA
Default

yes, I know what you mean...
AORoads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
MikeyTX
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!
 
MikeyTX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Maypearl TX
Default

"Unsecured load" .............. Priceless. That has to rate as the worst piece of paper written. Talk about abuse of power.
__________________
Bearcreek, MT Sept. 2012 across from the Hungry Bear Cafe. Great eats, great hosts.
MikeyTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
JockamoIPA
CF Senior Member
 
JockamoIPA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Default

I've owned my Vette for a year now. I've gotten 3 speeding tickets already, all of at least 20mph over posted speed.

You pay to play indeed, and all I do is go to the DAs office prior to the court date and plead to a non-moving just to avoid the insurance increase.

However, in your case I would have considered that jack-*** cop's unsecured load ticket a gift and would have definitely fought it. I would have been pissed as well.

And for those on here that are always like "blah blah blah pay the fine..." it's a freaking discussion forum. Let the folks vent for Chrissakes.

Good Driving to all...


Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbrowning View Post
Disclaimer: Running without a front plate, for aesthetic reasons, is a violation of law in 2 plate states, and I acknowledge the legal risk of doing this.

Since I purchased the Vette in ‘09, I’ve passed staties, county police, big city po-po, sheriffs, all without incident. Last week, I received my first missing license plate ticket.
Oh, I always knew it could happen, but it was the circumstances of the ticket that got me steamed.

There is a podunk little town in my metro area well known for 60% of the municipal budget coming from traffic citations. The city has been ranked in the top 2 or 3 highest top traffic ticket towns in Missouri. They are known for hiring LEOs that are shiny new, or LEOs that have employment problems with larger, more professional departments. The last police chief was a controversial figure, acquitted in civil cases of sexual misconduct and tried on a misdemeanor charge of employing an unqualified officer.

Last week I was in a hurry to get to a client, and took the shortest route - forgetting I was passing through traffic revenue enhancement central. So when I was pulled over I was perplexed at first. I was doing 34 in a 35mph, good driving habits, etc.

So this baby LEO walks up. He told me why I was being stopped. Ok, got that. But he returns with an electronic ticket with a fine schedule. “Unsecured load” $112.00!! WTF?!!
Then I lost my temper, and without swearing, I told him that he was nothing more than a uniformed tax collector. Having recently read in the local paper an article about another of their officers that lost his license, I pointed asked baby LEO how long he thought he was going to keep his license! ! I could tell that last comment hit the mark! What could he say but a terse “Have a nice day” and stomp off!

The rest of the day I was as I thought about a missing front plate citation being written for a more expensive “Unsecured load” violation. (About a 40% increase in fine $$) After the 2-day waiting period, I called the court clerk to find out what the court costs were for fighting a ticket. Yes I was polite - the court clerks have a thankless job.

Guess what? When I mentioned I was planning to contest a expensive “Unsecured load” charge on a Corvette, she “checked on something” and said the charge was now a “Missing license plate”! Now you all know that was not because of my sterling performance. You all KNOW that court challenges are not handled over the phone - by clerks! Someone in the office may have figured that they were not going to get a fine for an idiotic violation.

In conclusion, I paid the proper fine for a missing plate the next day, and will not drive the Vette through that municipal revenue trap again. But it was what the first egregious violation the officer tried to charge me with, and the general unprofessional conduct of the entire municipality that is a sad issue.
JockamoIPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
Tech
CF Senior Member
 
Tech's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis Missouri
Default

Rock Hill?
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
01VETTECOP
CF Senior Member
 
01VETTECOP's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2003
Location: Bethlehem Pa
Default

dam cops !
01VETTECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
Don-Vette
CF Senior Member
 
Don-Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2011
Location: Tonawanda New York
Default

Here we go again,ignorance of the law is no excuse. Speaking down to a LEO like that I would have written you up for everything I could. Boo fkn' Hoo. Lol
Don-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
phileaglesfan
CF Senior Member
 
phileaglesfan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Location: Northern Utah
Default

I would have been nice and then fight it. Chances are the judge is corrupt also though.
phileaglesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
Tom45
CF Senior Member
 
Tom45's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Location: Buena Park CA
Default

You have just given an example of a small town that cannot raise enough money by taxing the few people that live there so they find other ways to do it such as traffic tickets on people passing through. They may be ticketing people legally (pehaps borderline legally), but they are not giving anyone a break.

You would have also probably gotten a ticket if you were one mile over the speed limit, didn't use a turn signal or any number of minor things. From what you said, I am also guessing that they have an area on the main road where where the posted speed limit drops very quickly (speed trap) and they just sit and wait for unsuspecting people.

I know it is frustrating, but it was a relatively inexpensive lesson learned.
Tom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
JIMSC62006
CF Senior Member
 
JIMSC62006's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2010
Location: SAN RAMON CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-Vette View Post
Here we go again,ignorance of the law is no excuse. Speaking down to a LEO like that I would have written you up for everything I could. Boo fkn' Hoo. Lol
When was the last time you saw an 'UNSECURED LOAD' on a Corvette? He is complaining about the abuse of power not the fact of getting a ticket for no front plate. He got pulled over for one thing and written for something completely different. It would be like jaywalking and getting a sentence for bank robbery. I have never had a front plate on any corvette and don't plan on it. I carry my extra plate with me but no way to mount it.

Have a great day.
JIMSC62006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
2thousand2
CF Senior Member
 
2thousand2's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2009
Location: STL MO
Send a message via AIM to 2thousand2
Default

Bella Villa?
2thousand2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
sxs191
2013 NRB GS vert
Support Corvetteforum!
 
sxs191's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Rochester NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-Vette View Post
Here we go again,ignorance of the law is no excuse. Speaking down to a LEO like that I would have written you up for everything I could. Boo fkn' Hoo. Lol
Ignorance; lack of knowledge, education, or awareness.

I don't see how the OP is ignorant of the law being he gave the disclaimer before his story. If anyone is ignorant (based on the definition of the word) it is the LEO.
sxs191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
VET4LES
CF Senior Member
 
VET4LES's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: San Clemente CA
Default

The front plate law is the dumbest one on the books. The only thing the plate is good for is revenue from tickets.
VET4LES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #17
JJPonzini
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: May 2012
Location: Temperance MI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-Vette View Post
Here we go again,ignorance of the law is no excuse. Speaking down to a LEO like that I would have written you up for everything I could. Boo fkn' Hoo. Lol
And that would help the streets stay safer how?? Or would it just make your cop ego get even more inflated?? Or did you take an oath to enforce the law to a greater extent on those that speak down to you?

And you wonder why voters are cutting your pensions?
JJPonzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #18
ptroxx
CF Senior Member
 
ptroxx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Rohnert Park/Sonoma Co. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach
https://www.facebook.com/CorvetteSyndicate
Default

No matter what ticket he got, you wanna play you gotta pay..

This is how I run my car so as to not see if I have a plate or not.. Its worked so far and I Was just pulled over a fe weeks ago by Barney Fife and no ticket

Click the image to open in full size.
ptroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
fnbrowning
CF Senior Member
 
fnbrowning's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thousand2 View Post
Bella Villa?
fnbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #20
ptroxx
CF Senior Member
 
ptroxx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Rohnert Park/Sonoma Co. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach
https://www.facebook.com/CorvetteSyndicate
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VET4LES View Post
The front plate law is the dumbest one on the books. The only thing the plate is good for is revenue from tickets.
Actuallt it helps get you speeding tickets..
The police use your front plate to get a radar reading and without one it makes it harder to get you ....
ptroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:37 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Shameless fine for missing front plate.
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 tips to avoid speeding tickets tempest62 Politics, Religion & Controversy 64 11-11-2014 02:23 PM
Front Plate Ticket ZZ C6 Corvette ZR1 2 07-23-2013 01:42 AM
New laws in Illinois in 2013 Quick Silver Z Great Lakes 6 01-04-2013 01:41 PM
Beat my Speeding Ticket - Useful Info RoatanMan Off Topic 85 05-27-2010 03:29 PM
Is the ticket I got got invalid because the cop didn't sign the ticket? Traffic Hater C5 General 64 06-24-2005 07:17 PM



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Emails & Password Backup