C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Auxillary in C6 (via XM) - Detailed Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:53 PM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default DIY: Auxillary in C6 (via XM) - Detailed Instructions

For those of you (like me) who do not have the option of having an auxillary plug in your stereo (and don't use XM). As mentioned in the file, you are not limited to what kind of headphone plug you use (in my example its the 3.5mm aka 1/8 inch)

I know some one else made a thread on how to wire a headphone extension into your XM module to plug into a media device, but I felt it was not detailed enough for the "less smart" people like myself.

Of course lots of nice pictures are available...
Word Document 2007 (DOCX) 2.55 MB: www.radford.edu/kwhall/site_content/aux_to_xm.docx

Hopefuly this is good enough to added to the site's FAQ

EDIT: For some reason when you try to download the file it will try to save it as a ZIP/RAR file. Rename the file extension to DOCX

Originally Posted by jrpedraza
I don't know why it's being saved as a zip file, it was created in word 2007, anyone with an earlier version of Word will need to download the compatibility back from Microsoft (there's a link to it when the file trys to open).
JR

Last edited by ls2kev; 05-22-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:19 PM
kev1n
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is AWESOME! Thanks for the details pictures going to put this in when I install my NAV.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:31 PM
jrpedraza
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's the sound quality, any loss in signal strength/volume? It's a very good and detailed write-up, thanks.

I don't know why it's being saved as a zip file, it was created in word 2007, anyone with an earlier version of Word will need to download the compatibility back from Microsoft (there's a link to it when the file trys to open).

JR
Old 05-22-2009, 05:44 PM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrpedraza
How's the sound quality, any loss in signal strength/volume? It's a very good and detailed write-up, thanks.

JR
Yes and no... I can't tell you in detail because I don't have the knowledge. But what I did notice is that you have to turn the volume up more than you would on a CD or the radio stations... maybe my volume is low on my MP3, not sure. I don't see this as a siginificant problem unless you like to blast your music very loudly.

Last edited by ls2kev; 05-22-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:33 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Well done tutorial. Unfortunately, with it written in MS Word 2007 you can count on more than half the viewers not being able to read it. I've taken the liberty of converting it to pdf for you which is a much more widely accessible format. I've attached the file below.

Enjoy,

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C6 aux_to_xm.pdf (338.6 KB, 1385 views)
Old 05-22-2009, 06:42 PM
RRVettes
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Well done tutorial. Unfortunately, with it written in MS Word 2007 you can count on more than half the viewers not being able to read it. I've taken the liberty of converting it to pdf for you which is a much more widely accessible format. I've attached the file below.

Enjoy,

Paul
Thanks to the OP and Paul. Added to the C6 FAQ.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:24 PM
kd6awa
Cruising

If you don't want to permanently alter the factory wire harness as a result of cutting and splicing in the audio cable, here's what I did: purchase the Peripheral PXHGMTX harness for PXDPGMT ($15 from Upstate Auto Sport but some other automobile audio vendors probably stock it) and then alter this $15 harness. It has the connectors that mate with the 'vette's XM radio harness.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:59 PM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kd6awa
If you don't want to permanently alter the factory wire harness as a result of cutting and splicing in the audio cable, here's what I did: purchase the Peripheral PXHGMTX harness for PXDPGMT ($15 from Upstate Auto Sport but some other automobile audio vendors probably stock it) and then alter this $15 harness. It has the connectors that mate with the 'vette's XM radio harness.
LOL wish I knew abotu that. Oh well, there's no turning back (kind of) not like I ever want XM anyway.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:05 AM
jrpedraza
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ls2kev
Yes and no... I can't tell you in detail because I don't have the knowledge. But what I did notice is that you have to turn the volume up more than you would on a CD or the radio stations... maybe my volume is low on my MP3, not sure. I don't see this as a siginificant problem unless you like to blast your music very loudly.
I think signal volume is a common problem when using the xm side, when I had it activated in mine I'm pretty sure the volume level was much lower than when I played a CD. On my list is to get rid of the factory Nav and buy an aftermarket one, there's just no comparison what is available now versus what the factory uses.

JR
Old 06-24-2009, 01:33 PM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Default connection

talon90 im going to do this but you said that it keeps the xm from working? is that only when you use your device?
Old 06-24-2009, 01:38 PM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Default xm sound

to those who are having a problem with the loudness when listening to xm. i have disconnect my center speaker and i cannot believe what a difference it made . the sound seperation is great! also to the guys wanting to change out there head units for soemthiing different you may want to think about that one! ihave heard that if you have the bose xm dvd nav head unit and you decide to go to an after market head unit you probably will lose your HUD. remember when you change stations it shows up on your hud display... i was told that the nothing will show on your HUD. anybody know about this problem?
Old 06-24-2009, 01:43 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Thanks for this!!
Old 06-24-2009, 03:55 PM
RedHot
Le Mans Master

Location: Recovering from a tragic boating accident in Jacksonville Fl
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet

Good info.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:23 PM
kyle0k
Burning Brakes

I just did this and it turned out great! Took less then an hour, and probably would take 20 minutes if I had to do it again. I tucked all the wiring underneath the carpets and behind the seat, so i just have the end wire poking out where the handbrake is. I do not have any volume problems that everyone else experiences. In fact, anything past 3/4 would require me to turn down the bass just so I dont feel like the speakers are gonna blow. Im not sure why I had such great results but the only thing I did differently is use a different wire. Instead of the $9 dollar radioshack wire, I used a 15ft one from frys electronics that I bought for under $4 dollars! Also I used an Iphone 4 if that makes any differences.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Where is the XM module on a convertible?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 AM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
Where is the XM module on a convertible?
Behind the "waterfall" between the seats.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:45 AM
vetteheart1
Advanced

Is it required to disconnect the battery? Don`t you have you reset everything like your window indexing?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:46 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Will this work on a NAV, XM, Bose unit?

Get notified of new replies

To DIY: Auxillary in C6 (via XM) - Detailed Instructions

Quick Reply: DIY: Auxillary in C6 (via XM) - Detailed Instructions