C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Carbon World Challenge or MCM Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:31 AM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default LG Carbon World Challenge or MCM Hood?

I'm looking for a heat extraction hood for my 06-C6-Vert with Edelbrock SC. Considering either LG's new Carbon Fiber World Challenge Hood or the Motor City Mold hood for the C6. Both hoods offer heat extraction and improved aerodynamics over OEM.

LG's new Carbon Fiber World Challenge Hood comes bolt-on ready (per my conversations with LG) requiring no additional finish work if you want the clear coat carbon fiber finish. I have not seen or heard of anyone employing the use of this hood. The WC vent area appears to be greater than that offered by the MCM hood but not sure it offers any appreciable improvement in controlling IAT's (heat extraction).

The MCM Hood requires finish work and not certain if offers the same level of heat extraction offered by the WC Hood. However, overall cost of the MCM Hood is quite a bit less than that of the WC Hood.

I like the looks of both hoods. If there is no appreciable performance improvement of one hood over the other, I will go with the MCM Hood.

Any feedback or real world experience with either of these hoods is appreciated!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. The WC hood will definitely move more air then the MCM. The MCM hood opening is 14.5" by 2". You can also get a fiber glass version of the WC hood from ZIP Corvette: http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductD...L2-SR&CTitle=&.

My concern with the WC hood is all the water that will dump on the engine if it is parked in the rain or during washing the car.

BJK
Old 12-07-2012, 01:49 PM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree that the WC hood should move more air but will it provide an appreciable improvement in IAT control over the MCM Hood? If I go with the LG World Challenge Hood it will be the bolt-on Carbon Fiber version that requires no body or paint work.

The MCM Hood should work better for parked in the rain protection. There are a lot of folks with the WC Hood and I have not heard of anyone complaining of problems with water, either while sitting in the rain or when washing the car. I have a Master Blaster which will help with drying the engine compartment after washing.

If I cannot find a big difference in performance of the WC over the MCM hood, I will go with MCM.

Get notified of new replies

To LG Carbon World Challenge or MCM Hood?

Quick Reply: LG Carbon World Challenge or MCM Hood?