C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance:Dazed and Confused Grundy vs. Heacock vs. NCM

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Default Insurance:Dazed and Confused Grundy vs. Heacock vs. NCM

So my "collector car" insurance is up for renewal and I was a bit surprised that it seemed to go up by a surprising amount. No claims, tickets or accidents that would lead me to expected increases.

So I figure I would go out and get some quotes, which is hard to do as they force it to be apples vs. oranges to confuse on purpose.

I had my insurance with American Southern Home, which seems to be the same underwriter that the NCM and Heacock uses.

The quick quotes for NCM and Heacock came out identical, which is not surprising since they use the same underwriter, but the quote was $79 less than my current insurance which uses the same underwriter. Not sure why the same underwriter would give me two identical costs that were $79 less than what I am paying now from the same underwriter, from a different agency.

Grundy was $175 less, but I am not sure about their definition of "pleasure use". They use a different underwriter. I am not sure if Grundy has unlimited milage which my current policy is only 3K miles as are all the other quotes.

Hagerty was more than my current daily driver insurance company wanted for covering it as a daily driver. Hagerty wanted double my current rate - but I guess that include "agreed" value that my daily driver would not.

So I guess that I should call my current agent and find out why the same underwriter might quote less than them if I change agents. I suspect that there is something "missing" in the quotes I am not seeing.

I see lots of good posts about NCM Insurance, but since NCM uses the same underwriter as I currently have as does Heacock, I would expect them to all be about the same cost wise and service wise. Or am I wrong?

Any comments about Grundy? I remember looking at them like a decade ago but I don't think I met all the qualifications at that time.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

you could also look at american collectors, they have a website too so you can compare prices.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:08 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Cut my premium in half by switching from Farmer's to GEICO.

I have been with Farmer's and the same agent for over 30 years with no tickets or accidents during that entire time but my car insurance kept creeping up and up every six months. Finally decided it was time to shop and found that with GEICO I could get more coverage with zero deductible glass for half of what Farmers wanted. Same car insured and have never had a claim other than two windows in 30 years with them.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by flange
you could also look at american collectors, they have a website too so you can compare prices.
Thank you, I had never heard of them. They were $170 more than what I am currently paying for less coverage.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Give us a call directly and let's see what our system says. 877.678.7626
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

I'm talking to Adam and perhaps the Museum will work out.

Did some more research on Grundy. I know a lot of forum member have Grundy, and they did quote me, but I found this statement on their web site:

http://www.grundyworldwide.com/pdf/EligibilityReqs.pdf

9. Corvettes, Porsches, Ferraris and other Exotics 1974 or newer are not
considered unless part of a “collection” of collector vehicles or are legitimate
collectable show cars (not show off cars).
Plus, as posted on other threads, Grundy does not include "pleasure use". Makes me really uncomfortable that if I should have an accident on the way to an ice-cream store and they won't cover since it was an "errand". That and a few threads about their customer service declining since they were bought out earlier this year.

Last edited by Flame Red; 12-13-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Insurance:Dazed and Confused Grundy vs. Heacock vs. NCM

Quick Reply: Insurance:Dazed and Confused Grundy vs. Heacock vs. NCM