C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protecting car from idiots?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Alpha Buck
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protecting car from idiots?

I recently purchased a C6 corvette in pristine condition. This is my first and maybe my only one so I want to baby it.
The car is currently in storage but when it's summer time we plan on taking several road trips to enjoy this beautiful vehicle.
I may be a little paranoid but I concerned about some ******** keying or doing some other malicious act to this immaculate paint job when we have it parked in motel parking lot or stop at a mall, etc.
I know the car needs to be used and if something bad happens, it happens but do any of you have some tips on how to better protect it? I already planned on parking it on the far side of a parking lot away from other vehicles but I also see a value in parking in a well lit area. I have a cover for it that I use when it is in my garage but thought that might also attract attention if I use it in a motel parking lot. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. I would also like to know if many of you have experience vandalism to your vehicles. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I've been lucky and not had any vandalism so far. But there are some basic rules.

1. If at all possible, don't leave the C6 parked in a public place for very long, meaning no more than 15-20 minutes.

2. Absolutely, don't take up multiple parking spaces, even if you're parked half a mile from the nearest car.

3. Do park away from other cars if possible.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I always park as close as possible to where ever I'm going and mixed in right there along with all the other cars. Have done this for nearly 2 years with no incidents. I figure if you park way out by yourself it will attract attention and vandals.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 PM
06C6REDVETTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by JimTN
I've been lucky and not had any vandalism so far. But there are some basic rules.

1. If at all possible, don't leave the C6 parked in a public place for very long, meaning no more than 15-20 minutes.

2. Absolutely, don't take up multiple parking spaces, even if you're parked half a mile from the nearest car.

3. Do park away from other cars if possible.

But I also need to add, no matter how far away you park SOMEONE will park next to you.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I always park as close as possible to where ever I'm going and mixed in right there along with all the other cars. Have done this for nearly 2 years with no incidents. I figure if you park way out by yourself it will attract attention and vandals.
This is exactly what my wife tells me, but I continue to park out by myself and haven't had an issue yet. But I ALWAYS cover my car. I figure that most incidents are quick key jobs or bash and dash. The car cover deters that behavior.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:47 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
This is exactly what my wife tells me, but I continue to park out by myself and haven't had an issue yet. But I ALWAYS cover my car. I figure that most incidents are quick key jobs or bash and dash. The car cover deters that behavior.
I think of it this way. Some azhole will see it covered out in the back lot alone and thinks to himself "this rich guy thinks he's special with his fancy car that I cant have so I'll just scratch the hell out of it cause I'm jealous of him." Mixed in with everyone else and it will go unnoticed alot easier.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 PM
NoRuls
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

If your in a parking lot park next to the nicest most expensive car you can find. They won't open the door carelessly and ding their own ride. Or park 20 spaces away!
Ron
Old 01-20-2013, 12:56 PM
JohnAE455
Racer

I would add to JimTN, if at all possible park so that no car can park next to the right side, ie. have your right side be at the end of a parking area, up against a post or wall etc. You will notice that almost all door dings are on the right sides of cars because that is the side that will be hit when the driver of the car that parks next to you opens their door.

Yes, if you park far away from all others someone will nearly always park next to you and a lot of the time it is some beater driven by someone that just wants to scare you. I had one new car that I would park in a nearly empty parking lot and one day found someone leaning up against it while they waited for a bus.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:14 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Since you store it, obviously it isnt a daily driver. Dont take it to the mall, or food shopping. Do drive it and enjoy it as you do. As far as hotel parking when traveling, just use your best judgement and dont take up two spaces or park in dark areas if possible. Dont park near a spot where there is a lot of foot traffic if possible.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:25 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

This is what I do when on road trips.

1) I don't ever cover the car in parking lots or in hotel lots.
2) I don't park in the middle of nowhere, where the car stands out like a sore thumb.
3) I park next to a curb, leaving only 1 side of the car open for dings.
4) In hotel lots, I try to have the car as close to my room as possible, in a nicely lit area.
5) Lastly, I don't worry about it..that's what insurance is for...and yes, I really like this car, and it's in pristine condition as well. If it does get banged up, and I don't like the repairs, then I sell it and find another garage queen
Old 01-20-2013, 01:32 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Unless these motels that you are going to visit are in downtown Chicago, they would not be anywhere near the top of the list of places to be concerned about.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Join your local Corvette club and take trips with them. Safety in numbers.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:05 PM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my new to me 2008 with 3,000 miles and one month of ownership get keyed down the entire drivers side in a church parking lot. Follow the guidelines given here but there are no guarantees.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRuls
If your in a parking lot park next to the nicest most expensive car you can find. They won't open the door carelessly and ding their own ride. Or park 20 spaces away!
Ron
I do agree, but I always wonder if that nice expensive car is Leased ??
Old 01-20-2013, 03:43 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan0324
I do agree, but I always wonder if that nice expensive car is Leased ??
If it's a California car, chances are that it is leased. The lessee still has to pay for any damage, he can't ignore it as an owner can.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:55 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I'm crazy about my Vettes too, but remember, these are just cars. There are a lot of cars out there that are more expensive than yours. Drive it and enjoy it. Don't honk at anyone and don't cut anyone off.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

If you concerned with out of town trips, I have taken mine all over the place and have stayed in so many different motels across North America - so far I have not had an issue, not to say you can't, but I would not lose any sleep over it - just enjoy the car!

Get notified of new replies

To Protecting car from idiots?

Old 01-20-2013, 04:21 PM
VETTEPLAY
Instructor

Everyone has an anti-******** hater plan, lol. Mine: Park away from everyone else since there is more risk that haters/lazy/uncaring people will bang your car when they get into theirs. And while yes a car parked way out by itself is noticeable. It's for just that very reason I park it out by itself. People notice a expensive car and that means anyone dicking with it will be clearly visible out there all by himself too,lol. But like others said I don't leave it alone any longer than absolutely necessary and ALWAYS in a well lighted semi safe area.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRuls
Ron
I find just the opposite, most people with high end cars tend to lease them and get a new vehicle every 3-5yrs so they just don't care. There’s not a whole lot of people that appreciate and love cars as I do in the general public.

Last edited by Red Devil; 01-20-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:33 PM
offthehook1
Advanced

You have got to get over that paranoia or you will never enjoy the car. At first I felt the same way. Now I travel, take it everywhere, pick good spots when I can, but never worry. Life is short and I know my wife would not really enjoy travelling with me if all I did was worry about the car. And, by the way, I paid more for my pickup truck than I did for the Corvette.

Quick Reply: Protecting car from idiots?