C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my wheels powder coated and ended up with...

Old 12-21-2012, 01:14 AM
islandstyle22
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my wheels powder coated and ended up with...

....damage to my rocker panel!!! Sorry I do not have pics to show, but this is my story...

Went to a powder coating company here in SD. They do not have the equipment to remove tires and rims so they bring it to a small wheel mechanic shop to remove and unmount and remount after the powder coat is finished. I drove to the wheel shop to watch them remount and noticed my vette on the scissor lift. My first though when I saw it was.. I need to check the rocker panel when it comes off. They lowered it and drove it off the lift and I asked for a flashlight bc it was night time and what do you know!! A small gash about the size of a half dollar!! They were actin confused and didn't know what to say and saying that the lift didn't do it! So I called the owner of the powder coat company and told him what happened and he was kinda saying there's no way to know if they did it or not. All I know is that i know my car and the damage was not there. The owner of the powder coat company talked to the wheel shop guys and they are totally denying it. I just have this feeling nothing is gonna come of it... He told me to get an estimate from the dealer, and go from there. However this guy is pretty shady and I feel like its not gonna be fixed by them. . What would you guys do. Can I dispute the charge if they dont want to fix it bc it was paid at the wheel shop and not at the powder coat company. Help please!!

Last edited by islandstyle22; 12-21-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:39 AM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by islandstyle22
....damage to my rocker panel!!! Sorry I do not have pics to show, but this is my story...

Went to a powder coating company here in SD. They do not have the equipment to remove tires and rims so they bring it to a small wheel mechanic shop to remove and unmount and remount after the powder coat is finished. I drove to the wheel shop to watch them remount and noticed my vette on the scissor lift. My first though when I saw it was.. I need to check the rocker panel when it comes off. They lowered it and drove it off the lift and I asked for a flashlight bc it was night time and what do you know!! A small gash about the size of a half dollar!! They were actin confused and didn't know what to say and saying that the lift didn't do it! So I called the owner of the powder coat company and told him what happened and he was kinda saying there's no way to know if they did it or not. All I know is that i know my car and the damage was not there. The owner of the powder coat company talked to the wheel shop guys and they are totally denying it. I just have this feeling nothing is gonna come of it... He told me to get an estimate from the dealer, and go from there. However this guy is pretty shady and I feel like its not gonna be fixed by them. . What would you guys do. Can I dispute the charge if they dont want to fix it bc it was paid at the wheel shop and not at the powder coat company. Help please!!
I am surprised that the mechanic shop doesn't have some form of garage keeper's liability insurance; if they don't it must be quite a fly-by-night operation.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:50 AM
islandstyle22
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Revette
I am surprised that the mechanic shop doesn't have some form of garage keeper's liability insurance; if they don't it must be quite a fly-by-night operation.
I don't know if they do or not, they just not taking responsibility for their actions. The hard thing about it is that there's no proof that they did it.... Regardless I know it wasn't there. It's their word against mine. It all comes down to their level of customer service. One very hard lesson learned.... Before you leave your car for any repair, do a complete walk around w them present that way you really have something to go off. CRAP!!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 03:03 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Sorry you had to learn this all too familiar lesson the hard way.

I'd stop any payments you can. You could argue that the mechanic's shop was working as a sub for the powder coater.

Good Luck
Old 12-21-2012, 03:22 AM
islandstyle22
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
Sorry you had to learn this all too familiar lesson the hard way.

I'd stop any payments you can. You could argue that the mechanic's shop was working as a sub for the powder coater.

Good Luck
Thanks man it truly does suck. Just hoping they will fix it. If they still want to deny it.... How would the argument of them working as a sub to the primary company be of any help in disputing the charge.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:47 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I was assuming you just paid the powder coater and not the mechanic directly.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:18 AM
islandstyle22
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
I was assuming you just paid the powder coater and not the mechanic directly.
Well this is what happened... I was gonna pay the powder coat company directly but they didn't take credit card so they worked it out with the wheel place so I can pay them the entire amount and the would cut the powder coat company their share. And they charged me extra to do that. I can't wait to yelp this shady A$$ business.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:49 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Is it scratched or broken....If the former fix it yourself and move on...When you first sensed shadiness is when you should have stopped...but hey lesson learned imo..

good luck.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:55 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Lesson learned
Old 12-21-2012, 05:57 AM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

if its on your credit card, dispute the charges when the bill comes, and they will have to talk to you or risk not getting paid.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:59 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by flange
if its on your credit card, dispute the charges when the bill comes, and they will have to talk to you or risk not getting paid.
yeah, right
Old 12-21-2012, 06:15 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a set of pucks that snap in place and tell any shop that they are there and for a reason. That is what I did and do every time my car is going to be lifted. A vendor on this site sells them.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Consider yourself lucky....a small gash the size of a half dollar where you can not see it.

Like some of the posts mentioned, lesson learned.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you think they may have had the lift to high to put underneath the car? Im thinking they prob did and kicked the frame/post and it ended up hitting the rocker panel instead of going under.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:53 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

I think in the end you are screwed. Just from what they are saying it is going to be a lost cause.
Obviously in hindsight you should have had jacking pucks and spoke with them on how to properly lift a Vette before trusting them to do so without damaging your Vette.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:59 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Where is "SD?"

And why, if you watched them do it, didn't you stop them, or go in and tell them first?

"I drove to the wheel shop to watch them remount and noticed my vette on the scissor lift."

Am I missing something?

As to shady biz, you picked them first. They steal your car.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:06 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

bummer

Get notified of new replies

To Got my wheels powder coated and ended up with...

Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks man it truly does suck. Just hoping they will fix it. If they still want to deny it.... How would the argument of them working as a sub to the primary company be of any help in disputing the charge.
Because you're paying and would be disputing the charge, the poor quality of workmanship, the damage and the repair expense with the powder-coating company....the company you contracted with directly for the work to be done. If the powder-coating company 'subbed' part of the work to another company there are now two responsible entities. The powder-coating company may not have caused the damage directly but they also have liability in the matter. Presumably, both companies carry liability insurance. If the powder-coating company's insurance paid on the claim they would subrogate their damages with their sub-contractor's insurance carrier.

Sadly, without actual proof they caused the damage I rather doubt you'd prevail in any claim. I'm sorry about the damage and I'm not trying to beat you up but did you install your jacking pucks prior to the car being raised and explain to the companies what the jacking pucks are for? Being a small shop I would have assumed they don't have experience lifting Corvettes. I would have made sure beforehand they knew why the jacking pucks are there and I would have instructed them to exercise caution when lifting the car. Hell, year's ago when I first took my C6 to the dealership I stopped the mechanic from lifting the car while I snapped the jacking pucks in. The mechanic said "cool." He didn't have a clue what jacking pucks were. When I asked if he wasn't worried about damaging a customer's Corvette without using pads or pucks he just said "that's how we always do it." (meaning without pads or pucks).

Just like when you rent a car it's best to do an inspection of the car first with both parties noting any pre-existing damage. It's kind of the PITA but it eliminates any quesswork if damage is found after the work is done. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:10 AM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well this is what happened... I was gonna pay the powder coat company directly but they didn't take credit card so they worked it out with the wheel place so I can pay them the entire amount and the would cut the powder coat company their share. And they charged me extra to do that. I can't wait to yelp this shady A$$ business.
in many states, charging extra for credit card use is not legal -- including the up-charge it results in an effective interest rate higher than the state allows-- might be worth checking

as far as the damage, is it just in the paint? .. if its under the rocker might as well just do touch-up and move on.

sorry this happened to you - it does suck.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:42 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by flange
Originally Posted by glenB
yeah, right
Disputing the charge through your CC company is usually VERY effective.

Every time I have had an issue Mastercard has found in my favor and acted quickly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got my wheels powder coated and ended up with...