C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Tire Pressure

So, winter decided to arrive in the St. Louis area so it became painfully obvious that the GS isn't going to be driven until sometime in February.
Decided to go out and put 35psi in the tires.

Filled the fronts went to the rear and can't get air in, can't get air out either of the rear tires! Don't know if the valve stem is frozen (rear tires are closest to the garage door) or what is going on. Can get a psi reading if I use my digital gauge and press really hard.

Anyone else experienced this?
Old 12-21-2012, 12:46 PM
Gfrank
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No experirnce, bit i would warm it up with a hair dryer. Should work just fine. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gfrank
No experirnce, bit i would warm it up with a hair dryer. Should work just fine. Good luck.
Good idea, I may give that a shot.
THX
Old 12-21-2012, 01:05 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had this happen before (only on one tre) and it was a bad Schrader Valve. Got a new one and that correted he problem.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The factory valve caps (and some others) have a small O-ring inside, that can come loose and jam the Schrader valve also.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
The factory valve caps (and some others) have a small O-ring inside, that can come loose and jam the Schrader valve also.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the "O" ring out which got jammed down into the Schrader valve and all is well.

Can't believe that I didn't notice that before as this deal really didn't make much sense to me from the get-go.

Thanks,
Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

If you want to drive your grand sport in the cooler months, I've had excellent cooler/wet weather traction results with the Bridgestone Potenza RFs. Can't talk about snow, hopefully won't find out in my part of Florida either!!

It was in the mid 30's when I left home this morning, and I accellerated as hard as my foot would let me, getting on the interstate before daylight, and no rear end craziness that I was plagued with from the Goodyear GEN2 tires at this temp range last year.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Seadawg
If you want to drive your grand sport in the cooler months, I've had excellent cooler/wet weather traction results with the Bridgestone Potenza RFs. Can't talk about snow, hopefully won't find out in my part of Florida either!!

It was in the mid 30's when I left home this morning, and I accellerated as hard as my foot would let me, getting on the interstate before daylight, and no rear end craziness that I was plagued with from the Goodyear GEN2 tires at this temp range last year.
Thanks,
I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the car and have driven it when it was below 30 but dry. Haven't had a problem with the car swapping ends yet. Problem here is the first hint of weather they start putting salt and salt brine on the streets and that's when I decide to just cover it up.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Glad you found the problem. And thanks for giving me something to look for if I ever have that problem.

My Vettes have been setting outside under a carport for 8 years and have never had that problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Pressure

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure