C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette "the old mans car"

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 11:06 AM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

The Corvette is NOT too expensive for young people, as there is a huge inventory of used, low mileage C5 & C6's out there priced in the Camaro range. Some of these used cars are like new as certain retirees don't drive them much. Furthermore, the insurance is fairly reasonable due to the "older owner's" good driving records.

Yes, the Corvette (despite the large trunk!) is not a practical family car and lacks rear seats. Also, I wonder if young couples might perceive the Corvette as a little too "single and sexy" for an early marriage and raising a family.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:13 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
Since mommy and daddy gave them a 4 banger honda or toyota to drive at 16. Oh and you don't have to wash it or maintain it just buy another junker and continue on.
And the price for a vette is more than the younger Generation can afford. They are not into cars they are to busy texting and playing video games.This how they spend their time oh and working with computers they have nothing mechanical, they don't under stand it.
Nothing but 0's and 1's is how they think a thrill for them is texting and video gaming.
z51vett
I grew up spending most of my free time playing with computers (and during school time as well which led to me dropping out of high school and starting but not finishing college), as did my fiancée, we both turned it into rewarding careers young and thus we are able to afford the things we have. You say working with computers as if its a bad thing.

I also enjoy turning wrenches in the garage.

Last edited by SK360; 12-22-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Jackb0524
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 27 and just got my corvette recently. I used to have a Z28, but the corvette I found was in my price range, so I bumped up. My 98 Z28 is really cheap now. Around $10k or less everywhere. I bought my 2007 C6 with 30k miles for $25,000 before trade in price. I believe thats a great price and affordable to a lot of people. What gets me is,with corvettes so inexpensive, there still "rare" cars on the road.

I think the fact that it's a 2 seater has a lot to do with it since its not a family car. The picture of an "old man" is kids are out of the house, retired, etc... So now it's time for a 2 seater prize. I think eventually teens will start having Vettes more and more as years go by.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:33 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
Like I have said many times..... I could care less what labels people put on what I do. I've got one and they DON'T....They will NEVER know what it feels like to drive one....
I agree but one only has to walk near a Corvette Club to see how many older people drive a Corvette. Too bad most of those people won't be able to afford a new one someday.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:04 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by z06inVB
I bought my used C5Z06 in 2006 at age 46. It was not that I could not afford one earlier but that I had grown up assuming Vettes were truly old guys cars, they were expensive, hard to insure and difficult to maintain.

Only after a friend loaned me his to drive and told me the real deal and I researched it did I jump on the wagon. I regret I believed the BS all those years and did not get one earlier.

That all said when I pulled in the driveway with my new 2012 base coupe the neighbors boys came over and said..wow you got a geezer car.
Bring that "geezer" car down to the OBX this spring and meet some REAL "geezers". PS don't forget your trenchcoat...
Old 12-22-2012, 12:12 PM
jkeithv
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyLee
The Corvette is NOT too expensive for young people, as there is a huge inventory of used, low mileage C5 & C6's out there priced in the Camaro range. Some of these used cars are like new as certain retirees don't drive them much. Furthermore, the insurance is fairly reasonable due to the "older owner's" good driving records.
I agree that the argument that younger people can't afford them doesn't totally hold water. Yes they aren't practical for a family car and all that. But used ones can be had for a reasonable price. Also, many of the owners I know of Ferraris, Lambos, Lotuses, and Porsches are younger than the average age I see in the Vettes. Of course there are exceptions on both sides, but in general the Vette crowd does seem the oldest when compared to other expensive (usually more expensive), impractical sports cars. But who cares, really! I'm 47, so whatever age group that puts me in, and I love my Vette
Old 12-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Just remember 50 is the new 35!
Old 12-22-2012, 12:19 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My Vette belongs to an old guy.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:22 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by shaimerej
I don't think it's an older person's car. It's just that most people who own one are older.

I get compliments all the time from young people, like "Nice car", "Cool car", "Beautiful car".

Look at it this way, if you let a young person drive a Corvette, a Mustang, a Charger, and a Camaro and then offered them their choice of car afterward, how many would choose the others over the Corvette? Not too many IMO.

You have to remember that not many young people have had a hands on experience with a Corvette. They can't just go into a showroom and ask to test drive one. It's not going to happen.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

In reality, as we all know, the Corvette is anything but, an "old mans car"! However, due to the fact that the majority of Corvette owners are by older men... the tag sticks!
We all know the reasons why the majority of Corvettes are owned by older men and have been covered in this thread!
As for me, I am now 59, so I too, fit in the old man Corvette category! However, I have owned Corvettes since I was 18 years old and have had them in my 20's, 30's, 40's and now my 50's. I hope to be able to have one when I take my last gasp in life! Why? Because, I have always had a love affair with the Corvette since I was a very young kid!
A Corvette was not easily affordable for me at 18 (or anytime) and it still is not today at 59. Somehow, regardless of finances or practicality, a Corvette has always been a part of me...Young or Old!

Last edited by Supersonic 427; 12-22-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:13 PM
beaubear
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have had Corvettes since I was 18 and now that I am 67, wear gold chains and drive a 2013 427 convertible I guess I qualify as an old dude. But it is the car that gets the thumbs up as others pass by and admire its looks or is it my blond haired twenty something year younger wife?
Old 12-22-2012, 01:22 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

That brings up a good question. Are the gold chains a RPO and I just missed them or do they come from Chevy later like the drivers hand book.

If I just forgot to order them any idea who is the best vendor here to get them from?
Old 12-22-2012, 01:33 PM
DreamChaser 07
Intermediate

Im in my mid twenties and I get the old man car comment alot actually. I laugh it off and look at it this way. Its the best vehicle when you compare the specs, looks, and bang for buck. So it shouldn't be considered as an old man car, but a wise mans car. He who can differentiate the best bang for his buck ( hard earned bucks I might add) should not be considered an old man, but a wise one.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Union/NatBridge
Intermediate

I got a good deal on a two-year old 1965 convertible from a fellow university student when I was 22. I had saved enough to pay for both the car and the college tuition by working part time jobs since I was 14. The car cost me $2500 and a year's tuition was about the same. Over the years there have been a few more degrees and five more Corvettes. Each time, the price of every Corvette was about the cost of a year's tuition at a good private university (minus books and board). Each time, the Corvette would be about double the cost of a nice Chevy sedan. So some things haven't changed that much. I was taught early to earn, save, and do some good with what I made. The Corvettes just were a bit of frosting on my cake, never causing sacrifices from family or friends. But when I look around our local Corvette club membership, I see mostly gray (if any) hair. The only way my five kids will drive a Corvette of their own is for me to leave them mine. They have other priorities that I cannot argue with.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Union/NatBridge
Intermediate

I got a good deal on a two-year old 1965 convertible from a fellow university student when I was 22. I had saved enough to pay for both the car and the college tuition by working part time jobs since I was 14. The car cost me $2500 and a year's tuition about the same. Over the years there have been a few more degrees and five more Corvettes. Each time, the price of every Corvette was about the cost of a year's tuition at a good private university (minus books and board). Each time, the Corvette would be about double the cost of a nice Chevy sedan. So some things haven't changed that much. I was taught early to earn, save, and do some good with what I made. The Corvettes just were a bit of frosting on my cake, never causing sacrifices from family or friends.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I know from my 28 yr. old sons view point the corvette lacks refinement he desires. He likes the styling though.

He is looking into purchasing a 2011 or 2012 Lexus IS-F.

Presently owns a Lexus G35.

The C6 just does not offer enough passenger room, even though he is single still.

On the flip side I prefer the less tech approach.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:03 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Corvettes are very affordable in today's world. It probably kills some corvette owners that some kids could afford to buy a c5 at 18 working a minimum wage job. C6's are cheap now aswell. I have some friends that have cars/trucks worth double of what you could get a 05-07 C6 for. There are 2 worlds and types of corvette owners, there are those who keep them bone stock and never drive them and those who spend more in mods that equal out to the cost of the actual car. The "old man" corvette stereotype mainly goes out to those bone stock owners. I seen an old guy driving a slammed black z06 with a beefy cam the other day. Bet he doesnt get thrown into that stereotype.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette "the old mans car"

Old 12-22-2012, 02:06 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

And the problem is?....Mine is bone stock and driven...
Old 12-22-2012, 02:12 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Simple...to own a Corvette you must have EXTRA money to spend on a toy, A Lot of Extra money. MOST people....I'm not talking about the little rich kid that goes to Ivy League and daddy buys them a Vette, ya know the type born into money. I'm talking about MOST people the ones like me that come into this world with nothing and because we live in this Great Country of chance that if you work hard and do the right thing you can prosper. We spend most of our money taking care of our families most of our lives. Then you reach a point in your life where you feel comfortable and can AFFORD to spend some of that Extra money on yourself...and when you turn around and look in the mirror there is this old guy looking back at you lol. The Fact is these cars cost a lot of money that the average Joe just does not have.......New ZR1 $120,000 where I live I can buy a house for that. So all of you little rich kids do not be offended by this post....consider yourself MORE Fortunate than 99% of the people on the face of the earth. Yes I am an old man of 57 and yes I had camaros all of my life because I had More Important things to do with my money than to by a Corvette. BUT......I have one now and am loving every moment of it. to your original question.....YES the Corvette is an Old Mans car. lmao.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:16 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by bladex10
Corvettes are very affordable in today's world. It probably kills some corvette owners that some kids could afford to buy a c5 at 18 working a minimum wage job. C6's are cheap now aswell. I have some friends that have cars/trucks worth double of what you could get a 05-07 C6 for. There are 2 worlds and types of corvette owners, there are those who keep them bone stock and never drive them and those who spend more in mods that equal out to the cost of the actual car. The "old man" corvette stereotype mainly goes out to those bone stock owners. I seen an old guy driving a slammed black z06 with a beefy cam the other day. Bet he doesnt get thrown into that stereotype.
If you really feel this way you must have never been Hungry.

Quick Reply: Corvette "the old mans car"