C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Harmonic Balancer thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Otherslost
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Another Harmonic Balancer thread

Well my 07 C6 started "chirping" last week but it would go away after a minute or two but today is did not go away.

I called RPM in Santa Clarita and will be taking my car to them next week so I guess I am driving my truck for the week.

the car only has 27,380 on the clock and I can't believe I need to replace the HB. My Silverado has almost 200,000 miles and I have never had a problem this expensive.

I know this has been asked many times but how could GM not do a recall when this is so common? I am out of warranty so it's my dime. RPM quoted me a very reasonable price and they were recommended on the board.

I am considering an aftermarket HB but I want one that is a direct replacement for stock but will actually last. The only mod done to the car is a Borla exhaust so any suggestions on which HB to get?
Old 12-26-2012, 11:52 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Google ATI harmonic balancer. That seems to be the replacement part of choice!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:06 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Just because you are out of warranty doesn't mean you have to pay for it. My 06's balancer had to be replaced a few months back. I too was out of warranty and with a little conversation with the service manager knowing this was such a common issue I had all the work warrantied, all I had to pay was 250 for a warranty deductible. Also had the water pump fail at around the same time so I got that changed as well included in the 250. Good luck either way.

Gave him a nice tip after all was said and done to keep him happy should I ever need I'm again but that was after all was said and done just my way of saying thanks.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 AM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklync5
Just because you are out of warranty doesn't mean you have to pay for it. My 06's balancer had to be replaced a few months back. I too was out of warranty and with a little conversation with the service manager knowing this was such a common issue I had all the work warrantied, all I had to pay was 250 for a warranty deductible.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:13 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

ATI...Google is your friend.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:29 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

it may be worth a shot to try it out on your dealer. the newer version works for some people, and for some it has failed relatively soon. ATI seems to be the choice as well as SLP and one other, powerbond. the ATI's been said to cost around $450.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:56 AM
narfdanarf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an ATI on the last car and the current one has a powerbond. I would buy either one again and since the powerbond is cheaper....
Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

One more vote for Powerbond.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Otherslost
Pro

thanks for all of the info.

I will start by talking to the dealer today, should I be talking to the service manager?

will let you know how it goes.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:43 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

that's who I would start with, the service manager. and just be non-aggressive but state your case that this is a known issue, happens frequently since they changed the design, etc. and ask him/her what he can do for you.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:45 PM
TexasInferno
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best of luck. Just had mine replaced on an '11 with 6,000 miles. *(Under warranty thank god.) Fixed---hopefully for good......

I would think the ls motor has a 5yr/100K powertrain warranty. Not sure on the ls2 falls under this warranty. Hopefully didn't throw salt on your wound with an '07 (just out of warranty). Think you are getting good advice to just talk with the Service Advisor. I'm sure they are 'aware of the problem.'

Me, I've taken mine to 2 different dealerships. The 2nd (much larger dealership) had a master-tech install under warranty a new OEM HB....hopefully this fixed it for good. If not, I'm hoping even after the warranty expires, I have some paperwork ...hence, "leg to stand on." Best of luck. ATI or SLP may be your friend.

On a different note, I saw the c7's 'new' LT1 motor....Looks to be a similar HB design whereby the two-pieces are bonded together....uh, oh......ATI/SLP stock just shot up.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Mine spent the night at the dealer last night getting a balancer. 7K on the clock. My squeak started at 900 miles and the dealer starter out with a new belt and tensioner. Obviously that didn't fix it. Gotta love warranty.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Otherslost
Pro

taking the recommendation of several people here I took my car over to Rydell in Northridge and I just got a call confirming that the HB is "wobbly". Unfortunately they said that after talking with the GM rep they will only cover 30% of the replacement cost. this is still going to be about $600 out of my pocket. Needless to say I am quite dissapponted that on a car with low miles that they would not cover more of the cost but what can I do?

I have owned quite a few GM vehicles over the years and stuff like this really turns me off. IMO GM should have done more to resolve this issue for all C6 owners. A similar situation with a Ford made me never set foot on a Ford lot again.

oh well at least it is going to be fixed but will only have a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty on the part.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Otherslost
taking the recommendation of several people here I took my car over to Rydell in Northridge and I just got a call confirming that the HB is "wobbly". Unfortunately they said that after talking with the GM rep they will only cover 30% of the replacement cost. this is still going to be about $600 out of my pocket. Needless to say I am quite dissapponted that on a car with low miles that they would not cover more of the cost but what can I do?

I have owned quite a few GM vehicles over the years and stuff like this really turns me off. IMO GM should have done more to resolve this issue for all C6 owners. A similar situation with a Ford made me never set foot on a Ford lot again.

oh well at least it is going to be fixed but will only have a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty on the part.
What HB are they using as the replacement part?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Otherslost
Pro

Originally Posted by Cyber Greg
What HB are they using as the replacement part?
don't know the exact part # but I will get it when I pick the car up tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:11 AM
TexasInferno
Intermediate

Originally Posted by otherslost
taking the recommendation of several people here i took my car over to rydell in northridge and i just got a call confirming that the hb is "wobbly". Unfortunately they said that after talking with the gm rep they will only cover 30% of the replacement cost. This is still going to be about $600 out of my pocket. Needless to say i am quite dissapponted that on a car with low miles that they would not cover more of the cost but what can i do?

I have owned quite a few gm vehicles over the years and stuff like this really turns me off. Imo gm should have done more to resolve this issue for all c6 owners. A similar situation with a ford made me never set foot on a ford lot again.

Oh well at least it is going to be fixed but will only have a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty on the part.
"A.D.D." -- belated response ---that is ridiculous...so, it's roughly a $1,800 repair at 30% to you. Wow, great sales 'technique' on their part. This is what turns me off as well. On, the positive side, you'll have 'paperwork.' It has been roughly 800 miles since mine was replaced, still a 'very faint' HB 'chirp' noise, but i can live with it. It is amazing given how many of these engines they built that this is a recurring problem. Particularly since my wife's C6 is an '11--and essentially driving an engine that came out in '05, thousands made, that they can't find a better supplier of HB's?? This issue never came up in testing? Hmm, that gen v viper is looking pretty good down the road dare i say it... My Gen III has been 'bullet-proof' for 10 years......

Last edited by TexasInferno; 03-30-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:29 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by TexasInferno
"A.D.D." -- belated response ---that is ridiculous...so, it's roughly a $1,800 repair at 30% to you. Wow, great sales 'technique' on their part. This is what turns me off as well. On, the positive side, you'll have 'paperwork.' It has been roughly 800 miles since mine was replaced, still a 'very faint' HB 'chirp' noise, but i can live with it. It is amazing given how many of these engines they built that this is a recurring problem. Particularly since my wife's C6 is an '11--and essentially driving an engine that came out in '05, thousands made, that they can't find a better supplier of HB's?? This issue never came up in testing? Hmm, that gen v viper is looking pretty good down the road dare i say it... My Gen III has been 'bullet-proof' for 10 years......
no, about $860 (probably not incl tax) which is a bit lower than the norm I've seen for dealer replacement cost. usually about $1K at dealers. ($600 is 70% of cost he is covering)

that said, it's better than nothing considering you are out of warranty. and this, too: see post #167 for what sales does at that dealer---http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3241455-700-miles-on-a-new-car-help-9.html

Get notified of new replies

To Another Harmonic Balancer thread

Old 03-30-2013, 12:04 PM
TexasInferno
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aoroads
no, about $860 (probably not incl tax) which is a bit lower than the norm i've seen for dealer replacement cost. Usually about $1k at dealers. ($600 is 70% of cost he is covering)

that said, it's better than nothing considering you are out of warranty. And this, too: See post #167 for what sales does at that dealer---http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3241455-700-miles-on-a-new-car-help-9.html
wow, amazing thread on what 'that given dealership' will do to get a sale.....i was always amazed at cases like this.....why turn 1 sale, when......if you just were honest, you make make 3 or 4 'repeat customer' sales??? Seems that would be a better long-term sales strategy.......But...as we know, the guy/gal selling you the car will move on to the next dealership in a year or two........sign of the times i guess and 'caveat emptor'.......

Last edited by TexasInferno; 03-30-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:18 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^ agree completely, but it must make sense to the dealers and sales staff because they keep doing it. if it didn't work, they wouldn't do it, or they'd go out of biz.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:39 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

After it's fixed, I would send a letter to Mark Reuss, the pres of GM north america...explain the situation and why this could turn someone off to purchasing a GM car in he future...he is a Corvette enthusiast...it couldn't hurt.

Quick Reply: Another Harmonic Balancer thread