Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
LS WON
CF Senior Member

Default Chevron Techron Fuel System Concentrate and Pro-Guard Fuel Injector cleaner

With the above additives from Chevron, can putting in too much of a good thing be bad for car with either of these two products?
LS WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Flame Red
CF Senior Member

Years ago when I had a car that had a chronic carbon buildup problem, I would use Techron a few times a year. The directions at the time said that one should treat the gas with the tank of gas before a scheduled oil change. I am assuming that the carbon buildup might partially get into the oil. Don't see that anymore. So perhaps if you used to excessively, one should consider changing the oil?
Flame Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
AORoads
CF Senior Member

We're not the ones who chemically formulated and (hopefully) tested either one to see the corrosive or negative effects of too much. For that reason, altho two bottles of either type of cleaner may not be bad, it could be, and more could be worse. After all, if it wasn't bad, why wouldn't they just write on the bottle: "Use one per 20 gallons, or more bottles if you wish to do an even better job." It'd be a good way to sell more product.
AORoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
jimmie jam
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AORoads View Post
We're not the ones who chemically formulated and (hopefully) tested either one to see the corrosive or negative effects of too much. For that reason, altho two bottles of either type of cleaner may not be bad, it could be, and more could be worse. After all, if it wasn't bad, why wouldn't they just write on the bottle: "Use one per 20 gallons, or more bottles if you wish to do an even better job." It'd be a good way to sell more product.
Exactly. More is not always "better"....except when taking about giving me cash
jimmie jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13
Support Corvetteforum!

The label on GM/ACDelco Fuel System Treatment Plus (re-packaged Techron, it seems) says to add one bottle to 20 gals of fuel, but also says "minor overtreatment will have no adverse effects on engine. Add to fuel tank at every oil change. To achieve maximum cleaning benefits, use once every 3,000 miles".

Note that the current wording does not say anything about adding it before the oil change, or after. Certainly, every 3k miles would not come just before each oil change.

I always use Top Tier gas, and add the Treatment once per year (15k-20k miles).

Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
toxin440
CF Senior Member

I usually try to put Chevron or Shell in my Z. Since my vette has been sitting for 2 years (back on the road in 1.5 weeks WOOHOO)

I will for sure be running a bottle of techron through my car. The fuel was treated for storage, still runs like a champ (did a test run and check of all systems over xmas) but after I burn through the rest of the old/treated gas in the tank I'm going to fill up with some Shell or Chevron and run a bottle through it. For a few bucks it can't hurt.
toxin440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
carpe dm
CF Senior Member

"Use as directed".................... If you have too much, just add fuel when you are 1/4 th down or so, to dilute the mixture. A little extra should be no problem.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
LS WON
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Red View Post
Years ago when I had a car that had a chronic carbon buildup problem, I would use Techron a few times a year. The directions at the time said that one should treat the gas with the tank of gas before a scheduled oil change. I am assuming that the carbon buildup might partially get into the oil. Don't see that anymore. So perhaps if you used to excessively, one should consider changing the oil?
I have to check instructions again as I remember on the ProGuard Fuel injector cleaner it says to use every 3,000 miles unless that has changed.
But there is also the other Chevron Fuel Concentrate that cleans up the whole system which comes in 10 ounce, 12 ounce and 20 ounce bottles. It just says it may take more than one bottle to fix problem. I am wondering what if you put in a bottle of the 20 ounce with half a tank of gas to make it even stronger if it works out that way.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
LS WON
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxin440 View Post
I usually try to put Chevron or Shell in my Z. Since my vette has been sitting for 2 years (back on the road in 1.5 weeks WOOHOO)

I will for sure be running a bottle of techron through my car. The fuel was treated for storage, still runs like a champ (did a test run and check of all systems over xmas) but after I burn through the rest of the old/treated gas in the tank I'm going to fill up with some Shell or Chevron and run a bottle through it. For a few bucks it can't hurt.
Which bottle the ProGuard Fuel injector cleaner or Fuel concentrate?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
Vette5.5
CF Senior Member

2-3 times a year, should be fine for most gasoline additives. As mentioned, stuff isn't really designed to be in the tank, all the time.
Vette5.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
Gary '09 C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxin440 View Post

I also alternate primarily between Chevron and Shell. I add a large bottle of Techron concentrate about twice per year.
toxin, good for you getting your Z back on the road...!
Gary '09 C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:13 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Chevron Techron Fuel System Concentrate and Pro-Guard Fuel Injector cleaner