C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those of you storing a Corvette with rear battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 PM
JJKJ
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Question for those of you storing a Corvette with rear battery

With my GS now comfortably resting in my storage building with a CTEK charger hooked up for the winter, I started wondering about a warning in the CTEK brochure. It's a common warning and one that I've heard before, but didn't really think about before storing my car.

All battery chargers state that batteries should only be charged in a well-ventilated area. While those batteries located under the hood may not be technically well-ventilated, it's probably better than the ventilation on my completely closed up GS interior.

So here's the question: do any of you other guys storing your car for the winter leave a window or other venting open to dissipate the battery off-gassing during it's trickle charge? I have no idea how much a battery actually puts off during a maintenance trickle charge but I am curious since the CTEK manual does mention it. Needless worry or actual concern?

Thanks!

Oh, p.s. forgot that there will probably be several guys from the south taunting us with comments I've seen in other storage threads like, move south and drive it all year round, blah, blah, blah. Thanks for the advice but for now, I'll stay where I'm at.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The gas should be vented through the vent tube hooked to the battery. No need to open a window.

Bill
Old 01-04-2013, 07:55 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by JJKJ
With my GS now comfortably resting in my storage building with a CTEK charger hooked up for the winter, I started wondering about a warning in the CTEK brochure. It's a common warning and one that I've heard before, but didn't really think about before storing my car.

All battery chargers state that batteries should only be charged in a well-ventilated area. While those batteries located under the hood may not be technically well-ventilated, it's probably better than the ventilation on my completely closed up GS interior.

So here's the question: do any of you other guys storing your car for the winter leave a window or other venting open to dissipate the battery off-gassing during it's trickle charge? I have no idea how much a battery actually puts off during a maintenance trickle charge but I am curious since the CTEK manual does mention it. Needless worry or actual concern?

Thanks!

Oh, p.s. forgot that there will probably be several guys from the south taunting us with comments I've seen in other storage threads like, move south and drive it all year round, blah, blah, blah. Thanks for the advice but for now, I'll stay where I'm at.

Our Brothers in the warmer climates feel an obligation to give us a weather report every once in awhile. I personally think that all 310 million of us should move to those states and bring our pets also. Its all in good fun but sometimes requires a thick skin.

Clif
Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 PM
JIMSC62006
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only reason we give you a weather update is because you might not see it on TV if you are on the forum. Sunny and 55 degrees today.

Get notified of new replies

To Question for those of you storing a Corvette with rear battery

Quick Reply: Question for those of you storing a Corvette with rear battery