C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharging - Any Regreats To Those Who Have?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

One guy posted about a belt being thrown twice in one day clearly means misaligned pulley/pulleys. Someone else posts about a motor blowing on a dyno clearly means borderline motor to begin with or unqualified tuner. You can buy the best equipment known to man and have a dummy install it bad things are bound to happen. Properly installed will give years and tons of happy motoring miles.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
One guy posted about a belt being thrown twice in one day clearly means misaligned pulley/pulleys. Someone else posts about a motor blowing on a dyno clearly means borderline motor to begin with or unqualified tuner. You can buy the best equipment known to man and have a dummy install it bad things are bound to happen. Properly installed will give years and tons of happy motoring miles.
Exactly!!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 PM
robertaj
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1quickTXVette
0! If anything mine got better!

I went from factory tune with headers to a dyno tune and the blower. I was on I-20 coming back from Dallas about a month ago and took a couple pics of the instant mpg. I can post it for the non believers but I was getting 37Mpg while cruise controlled at 83-85mph. I think I was slightly down wind but while I'm on the highway I'm never getting less then about 33 mpg

You may lose a little bit in city driving, for the simple reason you're gonna have a hard time staying off that throttle! Haha

Mine is a DD and is mostly city driving, my average on the DIC is 21

I THOUGHT mine got better too until I realized that they had to change the injectors to bigger ones... so even tho the DIC shows it got better, in reality it dropped several MPG

That being said ive put on probably 15k with the supercharger and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner!!!!!

Quality kit = GREAT FUN!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
A resent post on the Corvette Forum reflected the fact that his supercharged engine blew-up during the process of getting it "tuned", so all does not always go well, but don't expect many to admit to their monstrous failures due to installing a supercharger. Nobody likes to admit to their stupidity. At very best, your engine life will be reduced considerably. Want a reliable supercharged C6? Buy a ZR1. It comes with a full factory warranty, not only on the engine, but the whole power train that delivers all that extra horsepower to the ground.

Your post is the definition of human thinking errors straight from a psychological manual:

1. Overgeneralising: This is the error of drawing global conslusions from from one or more events. Instead of looking at the probability.

2. Mental filtering: This is a bias in the way you process information in which you acknowlege only information that fits with a belief you hold ...although once again it goes against the probability.

3. Unrealistic expectations: Holding rigid demands about the way things "have got to be" so you hear about one car having a problem and you dont want anything to do with a supercharger.

All cars have problems....I can find you brand new Zr1 Vettes that are lemons ...so does that mean we shouldnt buy Vettes?

Also let me fix your part on the ZR1:
"Nobody likes to admit to their stupidity. Want to spend over 110k for a slower car when you can have the same thing for 40 to 45k? Buy a ZR1. It comes with a full factory warranty that is not worth a crap and will eventually run out....and if you break something major they will always blame you for it and not do the repairs...."

Another stupid statement? "At very best, your engine life will be reduced considerably." Lets face it if you buy a car and drive like an idiot, race it every weekend and do not keep up with the maintenance. Well then , it doesnt matter what the car, you "engine life will be reduced considerably". But in all the research on S/C that I have done if you drive it like a man and not like a fool, maintain it correctly, and your not a complete idiot -when it comes to cars, then the life of the engine will last as long as any car.

Note: I like the ZR1...but realistically it does not look better then a normal vette, the interior is the same, its just faster. For the cost if you can get a base vette to go as fast there is NO advantage I can see to a ZR1 - your wasting money. But dont listen to me ....Im a CFP (Certified Financial Planner) by trade for over 20 years so maybe I am just focusing on the logical $$$$ and price/reward value side of it - and not getting caught up in the emotional midlife crisis "I have made it" side of owning a Zr1.

Last edited by Cor430vette; 01-09-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Audacious Nick
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

People whine about problems, but you're going to have problems if you're not doing it right.
A quality tuner will go
Old 01-09-2013, 01:12 PM
teuhl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an E-Force 1590 installed on my 08 a year ago and have had no problems. It was dyno-tuned rather than using the programmer. I have Stainless Works headers and high flow CATX along with the supercharger which gives me about 515 RWHP.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:22 PM
85mcss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a highschool buddy who put 60K hard miles on an 03 ZO6 w/ a 112 Maggie and never had ANY problems with it. He bought it in 02 and we were both 17 or 18 at the time.. had a TON of fun in that car.

Been contemplating another for the 06
Old 01-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by teuhl
I had an E-Force 1590 installed on my 08 a year ago and have had no problems. It was dyno-tuned rather than using the programmer. I have Stainless Works headers and high flow CATX along with the supercharger which gives me about 515 RWHP.
What size primaries did you go with on the headers? Any fitment issues?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 01-09-2013, 04:58 PM
teuhl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zap City
What size primaries did you go with on the headers? Any fitment issues?
C6Z06 Corvette Headers with 1-7/8" dia. 31" long primaries with "D" shaped port matched flange and 3" slip fit collectors. Includes 3" X-pipe, metallic substrate high flow converters, O2 extensions, Accuseal clamps, clamp/hanger assemblies, oil cooler lines, compression fittings, zip ties, cable clamps, etc. The most powerful LS7 headers available! For cars running mild head and cam packages, low boost superchargers or NOS. THESE HEADERS PICKED UP 29 RWHP AND 41 FT# on a bone stock C6Z06.

No fit issues.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

08 A6 with an A&A centrifugal installed at A&A's Ventura garage.

Comments relating to some issues in earlier posts in this thread. Engine longevity and fuel ecoomy. These two issues are not effected with a centrifugal supercharger. Driving even a little aggressively in normal street and freeway traffic, my engine rpm doesn't go above 2000 rpm. Below 2000 rpm, the centrifugal supercharger just doesn't produce any significant pressure, so even with the supercharger, the car drives pretty much the same as it does with the stock engine. With no significant pressure from the supercharger, there's no stress on the engine and fuel economy is pretty much not effected. At 70 mph, I cruise at 1700 rpm. I've been told that the centrifugal blower only produces 0.5 psi at that rpm. I can feel extra power at 2500 rpm and at 3000 rpm the nose lifts up and things really start happening. At 3000 rpm, I get 300 rwhp and at 6500 rpm, I get 580 rwhp.

My biggest frustration is trying to find somewhere to drive the car! Almost all of the 1/4 mile drag strips are now closed. I think there's still one in Bakersfield Ca. I'd like to get some practice runs at full power to make sure I can control the car....don't want to get wheel spin at say, 60, 70, mph and have the car start to fish tail.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Superchargers are the way to go yet please realize its almost heiracy to post a negative so jeep that in the back of your mind.

I like the edlebrock as it doesn't go all out to produce the most power on a stock block.

I might do it as well so thanks for posting reliabilty question on the forum and thanks to those who respond
Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 PM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette

Comments relating to some issues in earlier posts in this thread. Engine longevity and fuel ecoomy. These two issues are not effected with a centrifugal supercharger. Driving even a little aggressively in normal street and freeway traffic, my engine rpm doesn't go above 2000 rpm. Below 2000 rpm, the centrifugal supercharger just doesn't produce any significant pressure, so even with the supercharger, the car drives pretty much the same as it does with the stock engine. With no significant pressure from the supercharger, there's no stress on the engine and fuel economy is pretty much not effected. At 70 mph, I cruise at 1700 rpm. I've been told that the centrifugal blower only produces 0.5 psi at that rpm. I can feel extra power at 2500 rpm and at 3000 rpm the nose lifts up and things really start happening. At 3000 rpm, I get 300 rwhp and at 6500 rpm, I get 580 rwhp.

My biggest frustration is trying to find somewhere to drive the car! Almost all of the 1/4 mile drag strips are now closed. I think there's still one in Bakersfield Ca. I'd like to get some practice runs at full power to make sure I can control the car....don't want to get wheel spin at say, 60, 70, mph and have the car start to fish tail.
Is there a way to have your HP/TQ come on at earlier RPM's? I'd like to stay away from the higher RPM bands/higher stresses there.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
How many of you guys are running a h/c set up w/ your charger?
did heads/cam meth on my 03
Originally Posted by grayline
Bobafett you are the king! I'm about to take the plunge myself.....
hey good luck buddy-keep us posted
Old 01-09-2013, 06:27 PM
philip_g
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Superchargers are the way to go yet please realize its almost heiracy to post a negative so jeep that in the back of your mind.

I like the edlebrock as it doesn't go all out to produce the most power on a stock block.

I might do it as well so thanks for posting reliabilty question on the forum and thanks to those who respond
A sad reality of the way information is spread these days, it's on forums like this. Sponsors pay to advertise, and the forum allows discussion on their product. No pay, no talk. A nice side effect is the forum is motivated financially to steer business to what may or may not very well be an inferior product and to "moderate" any serious discussion about shortfalls of said product. There is no such thing as honest discussion on a "public" forum about a product when that company pays the forum to be there.
That's how I ended up with the system I ended up with on my GTO.... I was not a happy camper. To the extent that I sold the car.

It's much worse on other car forums, but admit it or not it's a motivating factor anywhere. Heck I've owned and admined forums, I've been there.

Last edited by philip_g; 01-09-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
Your post is the definition of human thinking errors straight from a psychological manual:

1. Overgeneralizing: This is the error of drawing global conclusions from from one or more events. Instead of looking at the probability.

2. Mental filtering: This is a bias in the way you process information in which you acknowledge only information that fits with a belief you hold ...although once again it goes against the probability.

3. Unrealistic expectations: Holding rigid demands about the way things "have got to be" so you hear about one car having a problem and you don't want anything to do with a supercharger.

All cars have problems....I can find you brand new Zr1 Vettes that are lemons ...so does that mean we shouldn't buy Vettes?
BRAVO!!! There is intelligent life on the forum!!! I could not agree more.

I like the Edlebrock as it doesn't go all out to produce the most power on a stock block.

I might do it as well so thanks for posting reliability question on the forum and thanks to those who respond.
It might be good timing that I post my EDELBROCK E-FORCE HOLIDAY SPECIAL tonight!

Chuck CoW
Old 01-09-2013, 06:51 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default CoW BOOSTER!

Originally Posted by J Christensen
Is there a way to have your HP/TQ come on at earlier RPM's? I'd like to stay away from the higher RPM bands/higher stresses there.
CoW BOOSTER!

Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharging - Any Regreats To Those Who Have?

Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

And what system was that??

Originally Posted by philip_g
A sad reality of the way information is spread these days, it's on forums like this. Sponsors pay to advertise, and the forum allows discussion on their product. No pay, no talk. A nice side effect is the forum is motivated financially to steer business to what may or may not very well be an inferior product and to "moderate" any serious discussion about shortfalls of said product. There is no such thing as honest discussion on a "public" forum about a product when that company pays the forum to be there.
That's how I ended up with the system I ended up with on my GTO.... I was not a happy camper. To the extent that I sold the car.

It's much worse on other car forums, but admit it or not it's a motivating factor anywhere. Heck I've owned and admined forums, I've been there.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette

^^^^Truth

centrifugal supercharger
Me too....also go with a known tuner and installer like England Green in Houston...and you will have no regrets!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Polar Jet
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by J Christensen
ECS uses a centri for their kit - a Paxton Novi. They use a smaller pulley (3.5") to generate more boost and install a restrictor plate that will provide roots-like bottom end power and restrict air flow on the top end to keep things safe. YOu will see that their kits have horsepower and torque numbers that are identical or very close. The only other way to generate lower end numbers is with a roots-style kit.

Last edited by Polar Jet; 01-09-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Supercharging - Any Regreats To Those Who Have?