C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoping C7 will cause C6 prices to drop! (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Since the C7 would be a big step down in hp from the Z06, the Z06 will command a premium when people realize this simple fact. On the other hand, the base C6 will decrease.
No one knows what the HP will be, all that was said was 450+
Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
I too noticed Kerbecks discounts on new Vettes are substantially lower than they were prior to Jan 2. Glad I bought when I did in October!.

I don't believe we will see substantial discounts on the C6 when the C7 is introduced. Keep in mind the C7 will have a price increase and few if any will be discounted for the first year.
when arent you buying?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Johnny_B_Good
Of course the C6 is NOT going to increase in value….but then again a new ’13 C6 that I purchased back in October would cost me $3,500 more if I purchased it today. Some say it would cost $5,500 more if you factor in the loss of the 1.59 financing. Right now I’m enjoying my C6 and I don’t have any intention of acquiring a base C7 so resale value for me is not much of an issue.
I look at this and think 3000 for dealer cash or like incentive and 500 for another incentive that was no longer offered in Jan
Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM
evilmonkey
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
A great thread. Every contributor has given the subject considerable thought, and every last one has made valid points. This restores my faith in the average Corvette owner, who at times on this Forum has frankly not appeared too swift.
Corvette sales got hammered in the last four years because it is a toy, and apparently many who bought them were using their highly inflated home equity for financing leverage, which suddenly disappeared. The C6 Corvette especially the LS3, however was the high water mark in styling, value, and performance. Faults?, yes, but nothing that couldn't be corrected with aftermarket mods and/or knowledge imparted on the Corvette Forum, a phenomenal resource for enthusiasts. The C7? Well we are all now all speculating. However, I suspect it will fail for the same reason many other rather good cars have failed to sell well. At introduction the marketing types decide the company should introduce the new model with the smallest engine that will be available, and then "extend" the product life cycle of the car by introducing "improved", higher performance models with more horsepower. Problem is, if the initial model falls flat on it's face, as I suspect the C7 will, mostly due to a really stupid attempt to provide a uniform thread of styling throughout the product line, in this case everything from the Cadillac down through Buick, and into Chevrolet models, the same idea which gave birth to the GM chicklet on every GM car, even their European models, nobody will give a damn if later models have more horsepower. Problem is, GM styling is still very iffy, as it has been for the last fifty-five years, some good, some really bad. For instance, the Chevrolet Camaro is widely considered by many to be a rather ugly cartoon car. And now it seems they may "carry over" the hideous Camaro *** end to the the Vette, for the sake of "corporate uniformity", for for the sake of attracting younger buyers, whose idea of styling is a ricer with a big hood scoop and fart car exhausts. By the time they fix that double-ugly rear end on the Vette, and increase the horsepower to former levels, now enjoyed by the lowly Camaro, the Corvette may well have died due to GM marketing stupidity.
Message aside, this giant block of text was a painful read wherein you referenced some forum members as "not appeared too swift".
Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 AM
nate1121
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
A great thread. Every contributor has given the subject considerable thought, and every last one has made valid points. This restores my faith in the average Corvette owner, who at times on this Forum has frankly not appeared too swift.
Corvette sales got hammered in the last four years because it is a toy, and apparently many who bought them were using their highly inflated home equity for financing leverage, which suddenly disappeared. The C6 Corvette especially the LS3, however was the high water mark in styling, value, and performance. Faults?, yes, but nothing that couldn't be corrected with aftermarket mods and/or knowledge imparted on the Corvette Forum, a phenomenal resource for enthusiasts. The C7? Well we are all now all speculating. However, I suspect it will fail for the same reason many other rather good cars have failed to sell well. At introduction the marketing types decide the company should introduce the new model with the smallest engine that will be available, and then "extend" the product life cycle of the car by introducing "improved", higher performance models with more horsepower. Problem is, if the initial model falls flat on it's face, as I suspect the C7 will, mostly due to a really stupid attempt to provide a uniform thread of styling throughout the product line, in this case everything from the Cadillac down through Buick, and into Chevrolet models, the same idea which gave birth to the GM chicklet on every GM car, even their European models, nobody will give a damn if later models have more horsepower. Problem is, GM styling is still very iffy, as it has been for the last fifty-five years, some good, some really bad. For instance, the Chevrolet Camaro is widely considered by many to be a rather ugly cartoon car. And now it seems they may "carry over" the hideous Camaro *** end to the the Vette, for the sake of "corporate uniformity", for for the sake of attracting younger buyers, whose idea of styling is a ricer with a big hood scoop and fart car exhausts. By the time they fix that double-ugly rear end on the Vette, and increase the horsepower to former levels, now enjoyed by the lowly Camaro, the Corvette may well have died due to GM marketing stupidity.

Bottom line up front: NOBODY introduces their top performing model during the innitial production run of a vehicle. It's not a smart move for anybody. First run cars quite often have bugs, kinks, gremlins... whatever you want to call them. First run cars are used to develop the top models. It takes thousands of hours of tuning, tweaking, and testing to turn a base vette into a Z. I, for one, am perfectly fine with GM taking their time to get it right the first time. The base C7 will be a beast... 3000lb car with 450hp? You're talking low 12's at worst and would not be the least bit surprised to see an 11 second base model. What's not to like about that? (*** end be damned haha)
Old 01-11-2013, 11:02 AM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

How much lower can the prices go? I saw Tommy at Macmulkin Chevy giving over $10k discount on a 2LT GS..Take away another 3k in loyalty and 2k more if u have a GM card..over $15k on new is killing the values of used..
Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

There will be a shortage of new Corvettes for a few months. Low mileage cars should increase in value until the new car pipeline starts to flow.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Prices on ALL C6's will continue to decline just like cars always do. If anyone thinks their C6, regardless of model is going to go up in value within the next 30+ years they are simply dreaming.

Even after the cars become "classics" in 30+ years no one knows what will be popular with collectors who will ultimately determine their value.

If you need proof, research prices on C5's now and when they were new.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Dre01SS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C6Tim
Prices on ALL C6's will continue to decline just like cars always do. If anyone thinks their C6, regardless of model is going to go up in value within the next 30+ years they are simply dreaming.
Absolutely... It'll drop and that is a completely normal/expected market behavior. Not that there's anything wrong with the vehicle - I'm waiting on the right car/price to jump into a C6Z myself - but it'll no longer be the current model, etc...

Those saying the C7 will do poorly... the same talk happened at launch of the C6... yet it had the highest sales numbers of its run in 2006, bottomed out in 2010 and has been slowly recovering since. Of course the economy today isn't what it was back then, but it'll still do fairly well, regardless of the styling.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:03 PM
nate1121
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dre01SS
Absolutely... It'll drop and that is a completely normal/expected market behavior. Not that there's anything wrong with the vehicle - I'm waiting on the right car/price to jump into a C6Z myself - but it'll no longer be the current model, etc...

Those saying the C7 will do poorly... the same talk happened at launch of the C6... yet it had the highest sales numbers of its run in 2006, bottomed out in 2010 and has been slowly recovering since. Of course the economy today isn't what it was back then, but it'll still do fairly well, regardless of the styling.
Well said...
Old 01-11-2013, 04:12 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I don't know, If the C7 has an up to date stereo system I'll probably be in...
Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Dre01SS
Burning Brakes

Still think your C6 will go up in value with the new release?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:18 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

The prices of these new cars keep going up and up naturally. Glad I bought mine years ago and ordered it from factory the way I wanted it. Now a 2013 Dodge Challenger SRT with 6 spd. manual cost what I paid for my 2005 brand new.
New C-7 will debut in a few days?

Last edited by LS WON; 01-11-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:20 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RLSebring
I don't know, If the C7 has an up to date stereo system I'll probably be in...

That's your deal-breaker?

I gotta have a button to open the garage door.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:19 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by StanNH
Having just sold my 2009 vert, I can tell you that the market for the C6 is strong. NADA and KBB give different values, but most low mileage C6's are being sold for the upper retail range of pricing.

Given that this is the worst time of the year to sell a car like the Corvette, that's pretty impressive.

I have no idea whether or not the C7 will be a success for GM, but it's getting decidedly mixed reviews based on the pre-introduction renderings. Unless there's something dramatically different when the actual car is unveiled, I'm not convinced that the C6 will be seen as the less desirable option. It wouldn't surprise me to see C6 values actually increase.
Stan what are you getting next since you just sold your vert ?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Stan what are you getting next since you just sold your vert ?
I did not want to even mention this, since I know I'll regret ever bringing it up, but ....

I just ordered a 2013 Porsche Boxster S with 6 speed manual and the 20" wheel and tire package. Silver with an all leather dark grey and light grey interior. Definitely not as fast as the C6, but still capable of sub 5 second 0 to 60 times. It should be fun and a blast to drive in the mountainous and twisty local roads. I really liked both my C6's, but figured it was time for a change. Give it a couple of years and I wouldn't be surprised if I trade it in for a C7 vert.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

If that is the real deal.......why not just take a Viper and put a Corvette symbol on it?

Get notified of new replies

To Hoping C7 will cause C6 prices to drop! (Merged)

Old 01-12-2013, 07:39 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evilmonkey
Message aside, this giant block of text was a painful read wherein you referenced some forum members as "not appeared too swift".
A classic and total misquote. Part of "at times appearing not too swift", is probably due to the fact that many have very poor reading comprehension skills; hint, hint.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:58 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

After seeing the new pics of the c7... Yes the c6 will take a huge drop. The corvette didnt just take a step forward like the c5/c6.. Its a huge leap forward. Once the flood of low mileage c6's hit the market, the mid/higher mileage ones will be the ones taking the huge drop in price.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by StanNH
I did not want to even mention this, since I know I'll regret ever bringing it up, but ....

I just ordered a 2013 Porsche Boxster S with 6 speed manual and the 20" wheel and tire package. Silver with an all leather dark grey and light grey interior. Definitely not as fast as the C6, but still capable of sub 5 second 0 to 60 times. It should be fun and a blast to drive in the mountainous and twisty local roads. I really liked both my C6's, but figured it was time for a change. Give it a couple of years and I wouldn't be surprised if I trade it in for a C7 vert.
Congrats on the new car. You will enjoy it. I have driven the Boxter and Cayman and was impressed with the overall package.

Quick Reply: Hoping C7 will cause C6 prices to drop! (Merged)