C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Mountain Experience 7/8/9 Jan 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 AM
AWARE02
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Spring Mountain Experience 7/8/9 Jan 2013

Some words for all of the Corvette Forum folks on my AWESOME experience at the Ron Fellows School of Performance Driving at Spring Mountain Motor Resort and Country Club this past week. (My birthday present to myself)

First and foremost a special thanks to the instructors; Rick Malone, Rico Apolinar, Tom Lovelady, Stan Yoshihara, and Victor Resendiz, these guys optimize the words “courtesy” and “professionalism”!

My son and I arrived on Sunday after an all day trek across the United States to find our condo accommodations to be first class, including a fridge stocked with official Spring Mountain Ron Fellows water….you can’t beat that!! That being said we arrived at the clubhouse on Monday AM for a cooked to order breakfast and to meet our fellow participants (Mike, Mark, Harry). After breakfast off to registration, which by the way was painless, everything was ready to go a couple of signatures and lunch order and off to the classroom.

Day 1 began with a warm welcome by Chief Instructor Rick Malone and then some serious classroom instruction on what we could expect for the next couple of days. At first it was like WOW we are doing all of this in three days, but as we went along everything fell into place and I realized the course is very structured and builds your confidence as you progress through each stage. First and foremost we learned proper clutch engagement and how to avoid that all too embarrassing stall, then off to the paddock for some car control handling exercises….how to properly brake…yes there is a right way and a wrong way and then some figure eights on the wet pad (they use an GS with an automatic transmission so I had a hard time finding the clutch) but got through it all fine. Then some laps around an oval track in 2nd gear to get a better understanding of just what the car/computer will allow. After lunch into a Centennial ZR1 for some lead follow laps with the instructors. This was two-fold, one to familiarize us with the cars and learning the techniques required to navigate the track (braking points, turn in points, etc.) During this stage we left the cars in 3rd gear the entire process until towards the end of the day when we went into 4th on the back straight away. I can’t help but comment on the willingness for all of the instructors to give one-on–one instruction and to work with any skill level with the utmost patience. GREAT JOB, Guys!!

Day 2 began again with a cooked to order breakfast and then short classroom sessions and off for some more lead follow, learning the lines, breaking points, turn in points and I forgot to mention a lengthy exercise on heel and toe shifting (how could I have forgotten that important exercise). At this time we are slowly but surely increased our speeds and tried to stay within the limits as we learned the handling characteristics of the cars and how all too important active handling can be. BTW active handling on a ZR1 is the next best thing to sliced bread. After an amazing lunch, off to the cars again for more driving finesse, learning shift points on the track and instructor ride alongs. One thing of note, the instructors were there to providing instant feedback, which I found to be very positive and non distracting! The rest of the afternoon was spent preparing for day three when WE would be turned loose with the most powerful cars build in the US.

Day 3 what can you say…..two days preparing for open lapping, doesn’t get any better for a Corvette owner. First session was a lead follow working the lines, warming up the tires, fluids, and yourself. Then a lead follow with the instructor following the student observing your driving from the rear (did you all know these guys have eyes in the back of their heads) when they do the lead follow, they are watching you behind them, telling you your hands aren’t in the correct position, your head is not looking in the right direction, your entry point/braking points, all while driving with one hand and talking to you on the radio) you can’t beat that!! Anyway we spent the rest of the day having more fun than a man should be allowed to have driving America’s Icon Sports Car, the Corvette!!

After 3 unforgettable days at Spring Mountain it was time to come back to reality, “red-eye” back to Florida and to work. Two things that I heard over and over and that will be forever etched in my mind are….SCANNING and BALANCE!!

Bottom line, for the time of your life……GO FOR IT!!! You will learn things that will only make you a better driver! Again thanks to the entire staff for making my dream happen. To quote the Terminator….”I’ll Be Back”
Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Great story. Thanks for sharing. I've been to Spring Mountain twice and it is definitely something every Corvette owner should experience. There's nothing like a ZR1 flat out on that back straight!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for your insight. I'm considering going there with my dad. It would a great learning experience.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:52 PM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience! As you said, our staff from the time you call to book, to the last briefing of the day, they exemplify professionalism and enthusiasm. We aim to be the best!
Happy birthday and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Vic.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

All the guys were great and the digs were spectacular when my buddy and I were there last week of July. Even the wives enjoyed riding with the instructors in the lead follow. How can you not enjoy this experience?

Get notified of new replies

To Spring Mountain Experience 7/8/9 Jan 2013

Quick Reply: Spring Mountain Experience 7/8/9 Jan 2013