C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you fully use the capabilities of your C6?????????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

For most of my driving, not more than a fraction. But we do have some "spirited" cruises out in the Hill Country where acceleration, braking, and handling can be... um... "tested". Go out in a small organized group and feel a few G's and have a little fun.

And there may or may not be a once in a great while, middle of the night meet on the deserted highway: Line up, honk 3 times and go... but I wouldn't know anything about that.

Most of the time, when I am at the wheel of my Corvette the performance potential is like money in the bank... I am not using it, but it's nice to know it's there.

I fully intend to take the Corvettes out on a road course every once in a while. Problem is finding the time. But I'll consider it wrong if I don't at least do it once or twice a year.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:39 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,249 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklync5
Its kind of a shame but I really dont. I drive it to work nearly every day and find myself sitting at traffic lights more than actually on the throttle. Havent taken it to the track and really dont use more than 50 percent of its capabilities even on the open highway. Its a shame but I still enjoy looking at it. After all the cosmetic mods its certainly a pleasure to look at especially when I dont owe a penny on it knowing its mine and no one elses is nice.
That's kinda where I'm at. Mine is paid for, I like looking at, and I don't use the capabilities it has. Yet, I still feel the "want" to have a C7

I guess the older I get I have a hard time spending so much money on something that depreciates so fast, with capabilities I will never use.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Nope

I just feel good being seen in it.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I will be the first to admit it. I don't race or track my car, so I probably only use 60% of the performance capabilities my car has less than 10% of the time. Everyone is touting the performance number of the new C7 but at what point is all that complex and expensive technology just a waste of money for those of us that just street drive these cars? I understand some of you race your car and that's totally different. I do like the C7 and hope to have one someday, but for me its not about being a better performing car, our C6's already have more performance than I ever use. JMHO
Isn't like installing a mod that comes into play say at 5,000 rpms but if you don't go up in that neighborhood you won't notice a difference.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I will be the first to admit it. I don't race or track my car, so I probably only use 60% of the performance capabilities my car has less than 10% of the time. Everyone is touting the performance number of the new C7 but at what point is all that complex and expensive technology just a waste of money for those of us that just street drive these cars? I understand some of you race your car and that's totally different. I do like the C7 and hope to have one someday, but for me its not about being a better performing car, our C6's already have more performance than I ever use. JMHO
I don't race mine but I have done quite a few track days with it. Big difference between the two.

If you haven't done any track days or any autocrossing you haven't even come close to 60% of the capability of the car. The vast majority of street drivers don't use 60% of the capability of their econobox grocery getters let alone the higher capabilities of any sports car. They have no idea how well narrow high sidewall tires can hold in a corner and the cornering capability that comes from high performance low profile tires is beyond their imagination. As an instructor I have taken neophytes for easy rides at 80% around the track and they are just dumbfounded by the capability of the car. I rarely give them 100% rides since if I get close to 100% they usually get green around the gills and I have to worry about them barfing in the car.

Think of it this way. Go for a ride on the wildest roller coaster in the country and then take a full bore ride around a track in any C6 and then go back to the roller coaster. The coaster will seem tame and you will wonder why you spent money riding such a tame ride.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-18-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 PM
schneid
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my vette 3 months ago with only 1 speeding ticket to my name. 3 months later, I have three speeding tickets. :/

Every time I attempt to 'use the capabilities' of my car i get a ticket. haha
Old 01-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by schneid
I bought my vette 3 months ago with only 1 speeding ticket to my name. 3 months later, I have three speeding tickets. :/

Every time I attempt to 'use the capabilities' of my car i get a ticket. haha
Don't speed. Just don't slow down for the corners.

Bill
Old 01-18-2013, 12:46 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS WON
Isn't like installing a mod that comes into play say at 5,000 rpms but if you don't go up in that neighborhood you won't notice a difference.
I need a new lawnmower this spring and if I use the same criteria as we do with Corvettes, I'll need to buy a 200hp four wheel drive John Deere, when a 5hp push mower will do the job...
Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 191 Likes on 165 Posts

I only approach full potential at the track. Public road are way too dangerous and unpredictable.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I don't race mine but I have done quite a few track days with it. Big difference between the two.

If you haven't done any track days or any autocrossing you haven't even come close to 60% of the capability of the car. The vast majority of street drivers don't use 60% of the capability of their econobox grocery getters let alone the higher capabilities of any sports car. They have no idea how well narrow high sidewall tires can hold in a corner and the cornering capability that comes from high performance low profile tires is beyond their imagination. As an instructor I have taken neophytes for easy rides at 80% around the track and they are just dumbfounded by the capability of the car. I rarely give them 100% rides since if I get close to 100% they usually get green around the gills and I have to worry about them barfing in the car.

Think of it this way. Go for a ride on the wildest roller coaster in the country and then take a full bore ride around a track in any C6 and then go back to the roller coaster. The coaster will seem tame and you will wonder why you spent money riding such a tame ride.

Bill
I wish I lived closer to a guy like you. I would love to be taught how to really drive these cars.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:54 PM
RODXL1200
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
Not even close....I didn't buy my Corvette to race it, take it to the track, or to push its limits. I bought it because I have always liked the Corvette and its nice to know that if I need to use the power I have it.
The only thing I would add to the above for me would be to occasionally look back at someone in the mirror with a big smile on my face!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:06 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

I need a new lawnmower this spring and if I use the same criteria as we do with Corvettes, I'll need to buy a 200hp four wheel drive John Deere, when a 5hp push mower will do the job...
Old 01-18-2013, 01:07 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

No, I haven't.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
Not even close....I didn't buy my Corvette to race it, take it to the track, or to push its limits. I bought it because I have always liked the Corvette and its nice to know that if I need to use the power I have it.
\\

Same here. I haven't even spun the rear tires on mine. I just love the looks and ordered mine as a 'touring car'. And a great one it is. Eight years now and never looked back.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:10 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Perhaps that's why the base model Corvette is usually sufficient for the majority of buyers. Save the Z-06 or Z-51 option for those who use Corvette specifically for the track and take into account these options will stiffen up the ride which might be undesireable to alot of buyers who will be using these cars on public roads that are less than perfect compared to the ideal track conditions.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
\\

Same here. I haven't even spun the rear tires on mine. I just love the looks and ordered mine as a 'touring car'. And a great one it is. Eight years now and never looked back.

styling and profiling. If you spun them rear tires alot it would cost you some $$$ to replace them and they aren't low cost tires for the most part.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:11 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess the older I get I have a hard time spending so much money on something that depreciates so fast, with capabilities I will never use.
Then what ARE you going to spend your money on? You can't take it with you, and we only live once.

Life is short. Buy the most gnarly Corvette you can afford.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you fully use the capabilities of your C6?????????????????????

Old 01-18-2013, 02:29 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
That's the way it's been since the introduction of the first muscle car

Ken is right 99% of us do not and I fall in the 99%
Old 01-18-2013, 02:30 PM
ebf2k
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-14

Part of the capabilities are putting a smile on my face and making others' turn heads, those i use every time!

I do drag race it occasionally too.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Prime Target
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
I don't know about you...but I use every bit of it each time I take it out..whether it be to the track or starbucks. Shifting at 7000rpms, taking turns at 1.2Gs, etc. What fun would it be if you just moped around in one?

Quick Reply: Do you fully use the capabilities of your C6?????????????????????