C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 - Report at 102,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:25 AM
hawkandersonjr
Burning Brakes

Location: US-ARMY 1974-1996 Retired ; Oklahoma, City ; Atlanta, Ga: Hephzibah, Ga
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

I have an 05, Coupe and got over 93,000 miles. Just took a 12 hour trip and she drove like a champ. Replaced the battery, fix the popping roof and new tires. My question is when do know the front and rear end links need to be replaced.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Right there with you 4thC4at60. I also have a 07 (94,000) and it has been my most reliable car.

I ordered Bilstiens HD yesterday and new rotors and ceramic pads.
Wore out my Pfadt sport shocks and car is sitting too low now.

Car has had 2 problems besides reg maint, fuel pump and diff leak at halfshaft, both fixed under powertrain warranty.

Good luck on your next 100,000 miles.

Last edited by wayback; 01-20-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
My '07 A6 is a daily driver and has been one of the most trouble free cars I've owned in more than 54 years of car ownership.

During the past six plus years I have:

Solved the creaking/popping top by replacing the latches.

Had a wheel bearing replaced under warranty

Replaced front and rear end links, also under warranty

Did not like the seats so I had the seat bottom rebuilt by a custom trim shop - $65: this was not my first Corvette so I had a comparison - I have owned four previous Corvettes - and have more than 600,000 miles total in Vettes. The seats in the C4 were vastly better than those in the C6. (I'm hoping the seats in the C7 are improved.)

I had the first brake job done this past week (January 6-12) at 101,000+ miles. There was still 30% of pads front and rear remaining - changed them and the rotors anyway.

I'm replacing the shocks for the second time (Bilstein HDs) this coming week.

Am doing the first tune up this week as well. Car runs strong and gas mileage is close to normal on trips - 28+ - but down a _little_ from the usual 29 - 30.

I have used one dealership for all my maintenance and the service has been superb. Mobil 1 oil change with proper filter $53.

Looking forward to the next 100K miles... leaving February 1 on a 5,000 mile road trip. BTW, I'm 71.
Way to go I'm 69 and looks like my 2012 z06 with 16000 miles maybe my last one so we will see how good z's are.
z51vett
Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats and enjoy many more miles.....................
Old 01-20-2013, 10:33 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Originally Posted by hawkandersonjr
I have an 05, Coupe and got over 93,000 miles. Just took a 12 hour trip and she drove like a champ. Replaced the battery, fix the popping roof and new tires. My question is when do know the front and rear end links need to be replaced.
Old style endlinks (05-07 I think) would make a popping noise. Clunck. Mine sounded like it was coming from the rear, but it was the front. I changed endlinks twice with stock GM ones. Noise kept coming back after a few thousand miles. Went to LG and had them install their heavy duty quiet end links. No more problems!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

GERING - now, you're _my_ hero.....

I traded a '94 C4 in on the C6 - it had 186K on it and still ran and LOOKED great - was sold to a friend of mine. She's still driving it. It has more than 240K on the clock now. She did have to have a tranny rebuild, and I had to replace the water pump and had two of those "icky" distributors (Opti spark).... otherwise it was a great car.

I had four C4s, thus my _4thC4at60_ "moniker".... all four of my C4s were rock solid, though the '89 left a bit to be desired in the power department.

wayback - good to know about the LG end links... thanks!

To the others - go drive your cars! For, they are exactly that, cars.

If I had the money, and I don't, I'd not be on this forum, other than as a reader. I'd be over on a Ferrari forum telling _them_ how many miles were on my DD Ferrrari
Old 01-20-2013, 11:21 AM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded a '94 C4 in on the C6 - it had 186K on it and still ran and LOOKED great - was sold to a friend of mine. She's still driving it. It has more than 240K on the clock now. She did have to have a tranny rebuild, and I had to replace the water pump and had two of those "icky" distributors (Opti spark).... otherwise it was a great car.

I had four C4s, thus my _4thC4at60_ "moniker".... all four of my C4s were rock solid, though the '89 left a bit to be desired in the power department.

If I had the money, and I don't, I'd not be on this forum, other than as a reader. I'd be over on a Ferrari forum telling _them_ how many miles were on my DD Ferrrari
Have you had the tranny fluid replaced and if so, what did your dealer charge you for that.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:33 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
Have you had the tranny fluid replaced and if so, what did your dealer charge you for that.
You didn't read my original post where I said I'd had the tranny serviced _twice_ but it really didn't need it.

Owner's manual says to service tranny every 50,000 miles.

I don't remember what it cost to have the tranny serviced. But I did not feel it out of line. Just a routine part of service to the car.

I also consider respraying the front clip every couple of years another routine part of owning the car. I'm about to do that again, plus am going to replace the windshield as it has several rock chips (repaired) and looks, at certain angles, as if it has been lightly sandblasted.

Ferrari daily drivers consider a respray every couple of years to be the norm.

No one could run fast enough to get me to put one of those _butt_ ugly bras on my car. As I said, respray it every two, three years. It'll only run about $500.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I am with you, I looked at a used Lamborghini Gallardo and after doing the math on repairs and maint, I went with the Vet, it is a lot cheaper to repair and maintain. I could not justify paying that much if I could not drive it all of the time. Also it makes it easy to rack up the miles when the weather is nice most of the time.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Sir,

I replace all fluids & filters every 30,000 miles. As for the price I am not sure, Corvettes of Houston does all of my work, they have always done a great job.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:56 AM
wayback
Team Owner

My dealer charged $275 for my A6 fluid flush and refill.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Grat thread.

I have a 2005 C6 (with F55) with approx. 240,000 km's (149,000 miles) that I drive year round as my daily driver in Canada. In the winter I put on winter tires and keep on going.

It has not been trouble free, but I love this car. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

For me, routine maintenance consists of oil changes when remaining oil life gets to 50%, anti-freeze, transmission and differential fluid changes every two years and brake fluid change/flush every year. Also changed plugs and wires at about 100K miles.

I fixed the popping noise from the top with e-clips in the latches and keep the latches and connection points lubricated with a dry lubricant. The solid roof was subject to the GM recall, and it has been replaced with a new roof.

In terms of repairs........the list is long and quite expensive:

- replaced steering rack (blown seals)
- replaced water pump (leaking consider this norma maintenance)
- replaced heater core (leaking)
- replaced a suspension position sensor (sheared shaft)
- replaced clear targa top (cracked at edge - bought a used one)
- replaced two rear wheel bearings
- replaced shafts and bearings in torque tube (worn at pilot bearing end and bearings shot)
- replaced the clutch and flywheel with a RAM twin-disc/aluminum flywheel when the torque tube was replaced. We initially used a RAM slave/throwout bearing but that had to be replaced within 7 months as fluid was free flowing past the seals. Replaced with a stock GM slave.
- replaced differential half shaft seals
- re-built worm gear drive on drivers seat (to get rid of clunking/moving seat)
- replaced key fob receiver control module (this resulted in the NAV unit having to be replaced as the dealer badly scratched the screen. This was a fight at the dealer...wound up settling at about 50/50)
- re-built transmission at same time as torque tube replacement (5/6th gear issue). The re-build was a disaster as 2nd gear was grinding within 2 months of re-build. Replaced the transmission with a RPMTransmission level IV transmission. Very very nice unit.
- replaced sway bar end links 3 times (rattling)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but you get the idea.

The mod's I have made to the car are minimal with Z51 sway bars (huge improvement), HID fogs, LED lights in the interior, and leather wrapped interior pieces from Carskinz. I also installed a clear bra kit on the front end.

Looking forward to a lot more fun-filled miles.

BTW, my wife had '94 C4 that had over 200,000 miles on it, but unfortunately it burned to the ground last fall. It has been replaced with a 2006 C6.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

FireRoc: Congrats!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure most of us will see the same results. The few who don't, usually let us know afterall, that's one of the reasons for consulting a car forum. These engines are incredibly reliable...I had a '04 2500HD pickup that went 440,000 miles with absolutely no drivetrain problems except a transmission rebuild at 275,000 miles. It was the 6.0 gas engine. It's still out there somewhere, working for someone else.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:11 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by wayback
My dealer charged $275 for my A6 fluid flush and refill.
$209. here in CA.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:25 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Nice to hear about a C6 that is driven. Mine is at 54,000 and has only had the oil changed a few times and the rear gear oil changed under warranty...and the glovebox latch replaced under warranty.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

I really like this post - especially the part about your age

My '07 A6 is a daily driver and has been one of the most trouble free cars I've owned in more than 54 years of car ownership.

During the past six plus years I have:

Solved the creaking/popping top by replacing the latches.

Had a wheel bearing replaced under warranty

Replaced front and rear end links, also under warranty

Did not like the seats so I had the seat bottom rebuilt by a custom trim shop - $65: this was not my first Corvette so I had a comparison - I have owned four previous Corvettes - and have more than 600,000 miles total in Vettes. The seats in the C4 were vastly better than those in the C6. (I'm hoping the seats in the C7 are improved.)

I had the first brake job done this past week (January 6-12) at 101,000+ miles. There was still 30% of pads front and rear remaining - changed them and the rotors anyway.

I'm replacing the shocks for the second time (Bilstein HDs) this coming week.

Am doing the first tune up this week as well. Car runs strong and gas mileage is close to normal on trips - 28+ - but down a _little_ from the usual 29 - 30.

I have used one dealership for all my maintenance and the service has been superb. Mobil 1 oil change with proper filter $53.

Looking forward to the next 100K miles... leaving February 1 on a 5,000 mile road trip. BTW, I'm 71.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 - Report at 102,000 miles

Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Red12
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Awsome.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow congrats. Proves that maintenance is a key factor to longevity.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, base coupe. I'm not sure what you're asking me when you say fluids? I've had the transmission serviced twice, unnecessary, but I wanted to do it.

Coolant? No problems. Was flushed once.

But I consider things such as "fluids" and "oil changes" as regular maintenance.

Oil's been changed in the neighborhood of every 5,000 miles, so, around 20 oil changes.
Thanks, I was curious about coolant, trans, rear diff., brake, power steering fluids. I saw your post on the transmission and coolant service

Quick Reply: C6 - Report at 102,000 miles