C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire shop question

Old 01-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,439 Likes on 778 Posts

Default Tire shop question

When you guys get a new set of tires on your vette, are you concerned about the tire shop knowing how to properly put the car on a hoist? Do you tell them about the lift points etc? I plan to get new rubber this spring, and want to make sure the shop knows what they are doing.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:25 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Spoke to some local Corvette guys and got recommendations, went from there. Shop I picked I NEVER would have picked if not for friends input, guy did a fantastic job.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:26 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Yes they would have to convince me that they have raised a Vette before I let them raise mine. BTW, knowing this information (the lift points) myself would also be a benefit. You gotta know yourself before being told that 'sure, they know'.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:29 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

absolutely!!!!

first thing i did is hand the desk dude a puck. i ask if he knows what this is. no, i would have walked out. then i ask if he will use my pucks. if yes or says they use their own or some other good answer i let them do the car.

i have only used 2 places and they both have understood i will NOT allow mistakes and both places assured me that they were fully aware of what could go wrong if not done properly.

oh, also.. i keep printout showing lifting points along with the pucks in my cubby, and handed them a copy of the liftpoints if they wanted a copy.

so short answer... absolutely

copy of the lift points i keep in cubby..

Last edited by ChevyDave; 01-26-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLo
Spoke to some local Corvette guys and got recommendations, went from there. Shop I picked I NEVER would have picked if not for friends input, guy did a fantastic job.
Great advise. I completely agree.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Be very concerned about it. I just had new tires installed a few weeks ago and here's what happened: When checking in at the front counter (America's Tire), I specifically asked if they knew about the need for using lifting pucks. The advisor assured me that the installer was well-versed on the procedure and that they had several sets of pucks on hand for the cars that need them. I then watched as they pulled my car into the bay and began positioning the four portable hydraulic jacks at each corner. The technician placed a puck on each jack and that's where the problem began. With the pucks on the jacks, there wasn't enough clearance to slide the jacks under the rocker panels. Luckily, I had my own set of pucks that I bought from a CF vendor, the ones that attach to the underside of the car before sliding the jacks underneath. From that point on, all was fine. My point is twofold: If you haven't already done so, invest in your own set of pucks; when you have your tires installed, watch the entire process!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Road Rage
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually do my own tire mounting. But for those that aren't mechanics, just lift the car at your place and remove the wheels amd take them to the shop.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I jacked my Vert up in my Driveway....took the tires off myself and brought them to the tire store to put the tires on. I explained to the installer that they are RUN FLATS with very stiff sidewalls and extra LUBE is needed to take off and on and that ....OOOPS and I'M SORRY DON'T GET IT.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I don't worry about it at all, because I either stand there and tell them how to do it (most don't know), or take in the unmounted wheels and put them back on the car myself.

Sometimes, you need to be firm about getting things done right and don't worry about hurting people's feelings.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Thanks all for the input. I am actually thinking of taking the wheels off in my garage, and take the tires to the shop for changing out. A guy I know from church took his C5 in to a local shop for new tires last fall, and they busted off a lug bolt with their impact driver.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

I have the luxury of having extra sets of wheels/tires, so I just take the tire/wheel assemblies off and bring them "loose" into my favored tire store. Fortunately I have a good relationship with the, so I just drop them off in the morning, pick them up in the evening, and I've never had an issue with scratches or the like.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Cyberwar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mistake was with Big O Tire. Won't happen again. They assured me they knew how to use jacking pucks & how to remove run flats. I brought them a new set of rims to move the tires to from the stock wheels. They managed to scratch the hell out of the original stock wheels and put the rubber on the new wheels without issue.

How the hell does that happen? They said of course they didn't and COULDN'T have done it. Yet the car had less than 200 miles on it and never been parked by a curb. They denied everything and left me without recourse. Won't make that mistake again.

Just make sure you get a good recommendation from a local club and watch them like a hawk.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 PM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
first thing i did is hand the desk dude a puck. i ask if he knows what this is. no, i would have walked out.
Cool, so in other words you determined a shops ability to work on your car by evaluating the knowledge of the last person who actually matters?

Next time talk to someone who actually works on the cars, not the guy who does the paper work.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:19 AM
TW14
Intermediate

I always instal my lift pucks upon arrival. I also monitor them lifting my wife! I insure the individual working on my car has experience and knows if they put a scratch on my wheels which they are famous for they will replace it. Good luck. I go to a discount. Just remember the larger the shop (corporate) the more likely the will take responsibility and repair or replace any issues. This goes for anything from performance, body work, tire, and maintenance.

Last edited by TW14; 01-27-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:12 AM
hawkandersonjr
Burning Brakes

Location: US-ARMY 1974-1996 Retired ; Oklahoma, City ; Atlanta, Ga: Hephzibah, Ga
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

I just recently had some new tires installed at a well known chain tire store and they didn’t have a clue about the jacking points on the vette or the hockey pucks. I showed manager where and how to use the pucks. I told the manager if they damage it they pay for it. So I assumed he told the guy that drove the car into the shop to stall the tires. Something told me to just walk around the back where they took my car. Sure enough there were three guys standing around the car scratching their head trying to figure out how to get the car up onto their lift. It was obvious that their lift was too high. So I asked them did they have a low profile jack and they didn’t. They ended up driving the car up onto two pieces of 2x6 and using a floor jack. They took one tire off at a time. Do not assume they known what they are doing. I left happy and they learned something new.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 AM
rr2115
Heel & Toe

Just had new tires put on which is the 1st time my vette needed them. I had an agreement with shop to get me when it was to be driven into the bay. They agreed. Good thing. I notice that the bay had the wrong lift and had to show them the bay that had the right lift, the correct adapters and the lift points to be used. Disaster averted. The shop let me stay with the car through the complete change of tires.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If your new tires are directional, make sure they are installed on the correct sides.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire shop question

Old 01-27-2013, 02:43 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Bought the last set from Tire Rack; had them delivered to me and then took them with my wheels and old tires (which I had removed) to the Tire Rack recommended installer. Everything came out as planned and no worries about inept car lifting. Just make sure to keep track of which wheel goes where or your TPMS will not show the right locations.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

I stopped in to visit with the local Tire Rack authorized tire installer, and told them that I would be installing run flats, and wanted to get a price, and confirm they were a Tire Rack authorized installer. They told me they were, but that they once had tried to install rft's, and wouldn't do it again.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 766 Likes on 703 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I have used the same tire shop when I replaced the tires on my C5 and later the C6. Both times I made sure the knew about the jacking points, including providing a diagram. Fortunately, no problems and I received excellent service.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire shop question