C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 park adjustment

Old 11-26-2021, 05:46 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,042 Likes on 574 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default C6 park adjustment

My C6 goes into pork but the computer is not recognizing that it is in park and the car will not shut down. Is there some kind of adjustment on the bottom of the shifter that connects to the neutral safety switch. It is an automatic transmission. I did not have any luck in the search.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:40 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

No one?
Old 11-27-2021, 05:01 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

There's a linkage adjustment on the transaxle end but I think it's more likely that one of your 2 shifter cable bushings is failing. I'd park it until you can check it out. If you search for shifter bushing you will find a lot of posts. There's also a micro switch at near the bottom end of the shifter that could be the issue but I don't hear too much about those failing.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:49 PM
gdmoore01
Burning Brakes

Received 543 Likes on 375 Posts

I submitted the following information in another thread. The auto trans would shift to the park position, but the DIC message kept displaying "Shift To Park". You do not mention this symptom. However, this may be causing your problem so check your shifter **** mechanism.

"Something very similar happened to my shifter. The plastic silver removable top on mine had broken retention pieces and would dislodge easily. This plastic piece holds the shifter trigger button in place. I was not aware that my trigger button had slightly popped out of place. The shifter button pushes a small white plastic lever down onto a pin within the shifter shaft that must engage some switch internally that indicates to the system that park is engaged. In my situation the DIC kept displaying the message "Shift to Park" and I could not turn the engine off unless I moved the shifter to neutral. I was able to temporarily solve the problem by realigning the trigger button to engage the plastic lever and depress the internal switch. I promptly ordered a replacement shifter ****, as that is the only way to obtain the plastic retention piece on top of the ****.

There is some missing information from your experience that doesn't exactly match my scenario (DIC message?), so it may not help. But this may help someone else in the future that experiences a similar problem to mine.

Good luck & keep us informed as to your findings and solution.

GD
Old 11-27-2021, 06:31 PM
DR-08C6Z51
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Check this thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...use-found.html

That thread isn't exactly your issue. But the picture and information are helpful. I have your issue and it was the other micro switch seen on the left side in the picture I attached, circled in yellow. The fix is basically the same as in that thread. Add material to the contact surface. I was able to bend the contact on mine enough to make the connection. It still isn't perfect. Sometimes I still have to "bump" it forward to make contact. But it'll do until I make a more permanent repair. There may be a more involved solution involving bushings and/or the cable.

The one circled in yellow causes the "shift to park" issue. It's just like the one circled in red.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:27 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I had this problem when my 2005 was much newer so I had it repaired under warranty. I believe they replaced the whole unit.
The "Shift to Park" shows up on display and have problems engaging auto trans selector.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:22 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,002 Likes on 2,166 Posts

The 2005 a4 is a little different, since there is am external switch under the car by the trans shifter linkage as well.
On the a6 since the TCM is in the trans, most of the switches out side the trans are in the shifter assembly instead.

So without knowing the ops car year, hard to tell him where to go after to resolve the switch problem.

But if the trans is shifting fine, then does sound like the cable linkage is in adjustment correctly to begin with.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:00 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It is a 2007 with an automatic transmission and I am getting the Message on the information center that says to shift the car in park the shifter **** is new it was just put in before I bought the car so I’m assuming there must be an adjustment after they put it in that was not done.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:38 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DR-08C6Z51
Check this thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...use-found.html

That thread isn't exactly your issue. But the picture and information are helpful. I have your issue and it was the other micro switch seen on the left side in the picture I attached, circled in yellow. The fix is basically the same as in that thread. Add material to the contact surface. I was able to bend the contact on mine enough to make the connection. It still isn't perfect. Sometimes I still have to "bump" it forward to make contact. But it'll do until I make a more permanent repair. There may be a more involved solution involving bushings and/or the cable.

The one circled in yellow causes the "shift to park" issue. It's just like the one circled in red.
this is the information that I was looking for thanks for your help now I just need to get access to those switches it does not seem to be that big of a deal. It just looks like you have to take your time so you don’t break the plastic.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:38 AM
DR-08C6Z51
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

No problem! have a 2008. I replaced my shifter **** because it was broken when I bought the car. But that was a separate issue from the "shift to park"

This video is the best one I found for getting access:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xDJTQWj6XFE

Good luck!

Old 11-28-2021, 11:07 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

I literally just went through with this issue last week and posted a thread about it. If you put it in park does it still roll on an incline? You are having the same issue I did and it ended up being the shifter cable.
The following users liked this post:
Dave Carney (11-28-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To C6 park adjustment

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 park adjustment