C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key in the Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Jharms
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Key in the Trunk

I learned a lesson, the hard way. I went to the gym to work out. When I was done, I walked out to the car with my gym clothes on and my street clothes (along with my Corvette key) in my gym bag. Since I was holding my gym bag in my hand, the trunk opened with no problem. I threw the bag in the trunk and slammed it shut. I tried to open the drivers side door, it wouldn't open. When I realized that I had locked my key in the trunk, I tried to open the trunk. It wouldn't open. I was out of luck! I couldn't open the door or the trunk! I had to call my wife to come and bring her key so that I could open the trunk and get my key.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? It seems like the trunk would have opened since the bag (any my key) was close to the push button.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

actually, i read one some time ago, that was IDENTICAL, bag and all as yours. at first i thought i was reading an old post, nope, yours is new.

OnStar to have them unlock if you have that. Or second key made, you know, the ole hidden key under car on frame, i used to do that for all my old cars.

There was also a post someone made where they (in their garage) removed a tail light and did something to open trunk.. lol

Then again, humble call to wife works too
Old 02-02-2013, 07:19 AM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

There have been many posts on this unfortunate topic over the years. It does SEEM like the rear hatch would open. Hiding an extra key seems like a prudent solution.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 AM
ejbrace
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jharms
I learned a lesson, the hard way. I went to the gym to work out. When I was done, I walked out to the car with my gym clothes on and my street clothes (along with my Corvette key) in my gym bag. Since I was holding my gym bag in my hand, the trunk opened with no problem. I threw the bag in the trunk and slammed it shut. I tried to open the drivers side door, it wouldn't open. When I realized that I had locked my key in the trunk, I tried to open the trunk. It wouldn't open. I was out of luck! I couldn't open the door or the trunk! I had to call my wife to come and bring her key so that I could open the trunk and get my key.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? It seems like the trunk would have opened since the bag (any my key) was close to the push button.
exact same thing but I had to walk 1.5 miles home to get the spare
Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

That's why I went and had second truck key made, and hidden under the car. Incase it happens to me, I get into the car, and drive home.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Goatdad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

Another "trick" is to have a blank key ( flat w/ no plastic) cut and put it in your wallet.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 AM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Goatdad
Another "trick" is to have a blank key ( flat w/ no plastic) cut and put it in your wallet.
unless your wallet is in your gym bag with your fob
Old 02-02-2013, 03:17 PM
chops
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this. But in a parking garage far from home, three levels deep surrounded by cellular network blocking concrete.

First locksmith I call says he can't do it, then calls back 5 minutes later and says he can. He arrives 45 minutes late because he is lost in his own city, and does nothing but scratch up my window tint. As he's leaving he has the nerve to ask for his $30 travelling fee. This is probably the only occasion in my life I've ever told a stranger, to their face, to go f*** themselves.

Second locksmith I call tells me there isn't a car he hasn't been able to open in 7 years. Cool. Now, I'm a straight man, but this was the most handsome locksmith I've ever seen and I'm pretty sure my girlfriend would've gone with him if I let her. He opened it in a jiffy, spared the other window's tint, and was well on his way $180 richer.

I now have key fob location PTSD.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Goatdad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

$180 sounds steep, what other services did this "handsome" locksmith provide?

What is PTSD?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Goatdad
$180 sounds steep, what other services did this "handsome" locksmith provide?

What is PTSD?
post tramatic scratched-tint disorder
Old 02-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

this is one of those mistakes that until you don't do it once you can't prevent it from happening (speaking from experience)
Old 02-02-2013, 05:27 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I've had a key hidden on the C6 and one in my wallet for almost eight years and never needed them. I'm ready if I do. I also have the spare fob hidden in the car with the battery out and in the glove box.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:44 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

It seems like it's always a gym bag....
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 PM
rado63
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems that this happens often to C6 owners. I suggest you turn the passive door locking feature off. Press the options button and scroll to passive door locking and set to off. Now when you exit the car, You will have to press the key fob to lock the car.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:23 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
actually, i read one some time ago, that was IDENTICAL, bag and all as yours. at first i thought i was reading an old post, nope, yours is new.

OnStar to have them unlock if you have that. Or second key made, you know, the ole hidden key under car on frame, i used to do that for all my old cars.

There was also a post someone made where they (in their garage) removed a tail light and did something to open trunk.. lol

Then again, humble call to wife works too
I am the one who had to remove a tail light to open the trunk. Removed the battery cables (battery in rear compartment) and had all windows up. Closed the doors and trunk and now no power to open anything. Key slot above license plate would not work (cable had come undone for some reason). Removed drivers side tail light and drilled a small hole through the rear hatch. Used a clothes hanger to catch the manual door opener. Door opened.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rado63
Seems that this happens often to C6 owners. I suggest you turn the passive door locking feature off. Press the options button and scroll to passive door locking and set to off. Now when you exit the car, You will have to press the key fob to lock the car.
Not to be critical, but none of what you suggested would've prevented the OP's problem. It doesn't matter how the car was locked.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:54 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
It seems like it's always a gym bag....
Or a briefcase.

Spare keys are cheap insurance. Under $10 at most key shops. Tell 'em to use key blank B-106 (same as a Saturn).

And try your key to make sure it actually works!

Get notified of new replies

To Key in the Trunk

Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by rado63
Originally Posted by Al Gumby
Not to be critical, but none of what you suggested would've prevented the OP's problem. It doesn't matter how the car was locked.

Popping the hatch does not unlock the doors. Locking the doors from the inside button or the FOB or automatically makes no difference as far as the doors being locked. If you put your FOB (or keys) in the trunk of a locked car it makes no difference how the car was locked or even if this is a key or FOB car. I've never been close to locking a FOB in the car because I keep the FOB in my pants pocket. I've locked keys in cars several times because you have to take them out of your pocket and insert them in the ignition where they are "forgettable".
Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 AM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I always have a hidden key somewhere in my cars
Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZO ZICK
I always have a hidden key somewhere in my cars
+1

With the vette needing a coded key -- it's actually "less risky" vs a regular car, to have a spare key under the body somewhere.

I don't have onstar anymore - so this is even more important to me. I've never locked myself out of my vette - but my emergency spare came in handy a few times on my old S10 truck, and now my new Kia.

Hell the hide-a-key thing saved me 2 hours of driving one time. Parked my car at a buddies house and caught a flight to houston (to pick up my Z06 funny enough) and instead of driving over to his place to give him a key and have him follow me back I just told him where the spare was and he was on his way.

Quick Reply: Key in the Trunk