C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which "used" Inferno Orange Grand Sport should I buy?? Two choices here.. 3LT or 4LT

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:13 AM
bigsteff
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good choice on the 4LT & F55! Your car is fully optioned which will impact resale down the road. You CAN buy a painted top / tires but you could never ADD 4LT or F55.

Congrats

Last edited by bigsteff; 02-15-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:25 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rcwsound
Great, 4LT.
I would get new tiers before the trip if they have 19k on them.
Mine had thread showing on inside front @ 14.5k when I bought it.
You have to turn wheels to see it. Just a heads up!
Thanks, I will take a very close look before heading out.. From the close-up photos they sent me of the tires, I am thinking maybe they aren't original, though they are the GY's... They will be inspected as part of the GM Cert Pre-owned, so that should catch anything...

Last edited by MakoShark72; 02-15-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
Thanks, I will take a very close look before heading out.. From the close-up photos they sent me of the tires, I am thinking maybe they aren't original, though they are the GY's... They will be inspected as part of the GM Cert Pre-owned, so that should catch anything...

Congrats on the new ride
Trying to imagine which one I would pick, I leaned heavily towards getting the 4LT/F55
Note, not to be Negative towards the Dealer but don't take anything for granted with the GM Certification.
Do your home work and make sure they do what they're supposed to
Especially with the tires, you should realize that even if there's fairly good tread on them, age and heat cycling of the tires with 19K on them can make them hard.
Grip on those tires if they've hardened can be worse than simply having a shallow tread depth.
Either way good luck and Enjoy your new ride
Old 02-15-2013, 12:01 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dif
Congrats on the new ride
Trying to imagine which one I would pick, I leaned heavily towards getting the 4LT/F55
Note, not to be Negative towards the Dealer but don't take anything for granted with the GM Certification.
Do your home work and make sure they do what they're supposed to
Especially with the tires, you should realize that even if there's fairly good tread on them, age and heat cycling of the tires with 19K on them can make them hard.
Grip on those tires if they've hardened can be worse than simply having a shallow tread depth.
Either way good luck and Enjoy your new ride
Will do, thanks for the advice..

Old 02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

4lt
Old 02-15-2013, 03:14 PM
1 of 220
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Have a great trip bring it home!

Let us know all about it when you get back.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:16 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

3LT here...I don't really care for the all leather trim. The 146 miles does it for me...

MT
Old 02-15-2013, 04:46 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The F55 option is a deal breaker IMHO. For those that say they would not miss it all I can say is you drive on the conservitive side of the line. I have had several cases where turning it on helped my stability in really fast parts of the road. Also have seen a base model w/o F55 go through some corners with chatter bumps spin off the road and my car didn't loose stability and tracked through. This may have been due to tires or driver but I saw the wheels start hopping then it spun. I know it makes a BIG difference IF you drive hard. That said if your plans for the car don't envolve pushing things a bit then I would say you won't know the difference and you will not have to face the replacement costs of the F55 when they go bad.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:18 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Enjoy The Beast...Smart choice on not getting that parking/garage queen
Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by MakoShark72

Maybe it's just the lighting/pics, but those tires don't look so good (to me). Likely to be the GY F1 Supercar Gen:2s
(G/S with F55 & manual tranny would get them as OEM; you've already said the tires are GYs)

Even if not original, they could have 8K-10K miles on them ? (not a lot of tread depth). Lots of heat cycles/hardening...
If you can't change them until you get home, be careful in the areas of your trip with the colder temps, or in the wet,
or both...you could lose road grip unexpectedly.

just sayin'...

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 02-16-2013 at 12:08 AM. Reason: sp
Old 02-16-2013, 01:24 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

we are headed south and taking it easy..

Thanks
Old 02-16-2013, 01:30 PM
SenseiDave
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course once you get it home but before you replace those tires, you need to find an isolated parking lot to light 'em up and do some drifting. Right after a rain is a good time to play so you acquire a good feel for the car and can control skids. Turn off the DSC and and do some J turns with the parking brake! Fun and educational but tough on rubber.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:18 PM
rcwsound
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SenseiDave
Of course once you get it home but before you replace those tires, you need to find an isolated parking lot to light 'em up and do some drifting. Right after a rain is a good time to play so you acquire a good feel for the car and can control skids. Turn off the DSC and and do some J turns with the parking brake! Fun and educational but tough on rubber.

I was thinking about this the last few days. Only had the car a few months. Need to break the rear out to the left "weak side" to see how to handle it.
Comp Driving school later in the year.

Quick Reply: Which "used" Inferno Orange Grand Sport should I buy?? Two choices here.. 3LT or 4LT