C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear F1 Supercar's.. Is there a significant difference in the 2 tread patterns?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Goodyear F1 Supercar's.. Is there a significant difference in the 2 tread patterns?

Reason I ask....

When I had my blowout in the Mojave a week or so ago, the right rear tire was replaced with the a GY F1 of different tread design.. it was the only one available to get us back on the road and home!!

Now I have one brand new tire in one tread pattern, and 3 somewhat worn tires in the original pattern.

Is the more "traditional" tread GY as harsh riding, loud, etc as the more "performance-appearing" tread.

I will be replacing tires this spring, and would like to know if I should be shopping for ALL FOUR new tires (Michelin's, Bridgestones, etc) or only for THREE GY's to match my NEW right rear tire...??

I have already read about how unpopular the GY's are (not sure which tread design or are they BOTH just as unpopular?) and how great the other brands are considered...

Original tires...

Replacement tire...

Thanks!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Your replacement tire is the Gen 1 version of your original Gen 2 tires.
That's all I know. Did you notice any difference in the way the car handled with two different tread designs on the rear? Just wondering.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:24 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Joe B.
That's all I know. Did you notice any difference in the way the car handled with two different tread designs on the rear? Just wondering.
Not at all, of course the new tire was on the rear, so probably not as noticeable as if it was on the front..

Last edited by MakoShark72; 02-28-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:25 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

They're different tires. The G:2s are 'extreme summer' (G1s are 'max summer'), and reportedly a lot stickier. I'd change it asap, if only because car looks like crap . Plus it could get dangerous if you get on the throttle and that new tire breaks loose first, putting your car sideways in a hurry. And also if you start pushing the car in the twisties. Or in heavy rain. Why neuter the car like that? But it's your call. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Not sure how much difference there is in tread depth for you, but tire expert Wolfdogs once said that he would not want more than 2/32" difference between two tires. Especially on the rear, where it can also help wear out the clutches in your differential.

Fortunately, I have no personal experience there.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe B.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would shop for 4 new tires - non-Goodyear myself.

But it would be a fine option to get 3 new to match your 'new 1', most especially if you want to keep cost lower and if you are happy with the GY tires.

The 2 different rear tires currently on your car is something I would want corrected asap.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Not sure how much difference there is in tread depth for you, but tire expert Wolfdogs once said that he would not want more than 2/32" difference between two tires. Especially on the rear, where it can also help wear out the clutches in your differential.

That's important and good to know.. I am not driving the car (winter wet weather), and shopping for tires, but as I said in post #1, I can replace all 4, OR... I can replace the 3 remaining Gen 2's with new Gen 1's, so they all match.

I'm sure there is 2/32's or greater difference in the two rears, but I have not measured it..

Thanks...
Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
...Why neuter the car like that? ...
Read the original post!!

".. it was the only one available to get us back on the road and home!!"
Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I would consider replacing with Michelins. If you can live with non runflats a fantastic tire is the Michelin Super Sports. If you can't Bridgestone has a runflat. Both are around $1600 a set. The rear goodyear will set you back about $600 alone.

Any details/pics of the blowout. I've seen a few Goodyear runflats blown out, not a single Michelin for some reason.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:41 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I would consider replacing with Michelins. If you can live with non runflats a fantastic tire is the Michelin Super Sports. If you can't Bridgestone has a runflat. Both are around $1600 a set. The rear goodyear will set you back about $600 alone.

Any details/pics of the blowout. I've seen a few Goodyear runflats blown out, not a single Michelin for some reason.
Michelin's are not in my network, too pricey!! Considering the Bridgestone Pole Position RF..

The rear GY is actually about $450...close to $500 with install..

Ran over a cargo strap, obviously with a buckle attached!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

if not the Michelins, maybe the Firestone Firehawk W/O RFTs ?

several CF members have reported favorably about them...some recent threads/postings also.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
Michelin's are not in my network, too pricey!! Considering the Bridgestone Pole Position RF..

The rear GY is actually about $450...close to $500 with install..

Ran over a cargo strap, obviously with a buckle attached!

A cargo strap will definitely take care of a tire. I guess you can be glad that the front tire didn't run over it also.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 PM
strawboss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

i am amazed you found a tire in Mojave
Old 02-28-2013, 11:19 PM
strawboss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

btw your cost per mile with michelins is way less than a compareable tire....i got 15000 on michelins and they appear new versus 10000 miles on good years and the cords were showing
Old 03-01-2013, 12:45 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased a '95 Miata with one slightly more worn tire on the rear. With just 100 HP to the rear wheels, it would veer one way during acceleration, and veer the other way under deceleration, entirely due to the tire size difference. It had a high quality alignment that did not help, but the problem went away entirely with a new set of wheels all around.

I'd imagine the problem would be much worse with nearly four times the horsepower going to the ground, though it seems that the Miata's torsen limited slip is much more active under deceleration than the Corvette's limited slip.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:08 AM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Originally Posted by strawboss
i am amazed you found a tire in Mojave
I was near Baker in the Mojave Desert. Got towed 105 miles to Las Vegas! That was the closest and only tire available!

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis
I purchased a '95 Miata with one slightly more worn tire on the rear. With just 100 HP to the rear wheels, it would veer one way during acceleration, and veer the other way under deceleration, entirely due to the tire size difference. It had a high quality alignment that did not help, but the problem went away entirely with a new set of wheels all around.

I'd imagine the problem would be much worse with nearly four times the horsepower going to the ground, though it seems that the Miata's torsen limited slip is much more active under deceleration than the Corvette's limited slip.
We drove 1300 miles from Vegas to Bakersfield, to Seattle. There were NO noticeable handling issues, none at all.. I did not drive it "gingerly" either... very hard accelerations on interstate on ramps, higher speeds enroute (80+), aggressive downshifts... no problems.
We left Vegas at about 70*, hit VERY HEAVY rain in Bakersfield, and temps down to 25* at Mt Shasta. NO ISSUES.

Maybe I was just lucky....for 1300 miles?

Get notified of new replies

To Goodyear F1 Supercar's.. Is there a significant difference in the 2 tread patterns?

Old 03-01-2013, 02:03 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

e drove 1300 miles from Vegas to Bakersfield, to Seattle. There were NO noticeable handling issues, none at all.. I did not drive it "gingerly" either... very hard accelerations on interstate on ramps, higher speeds enroute (80+), aggressive downshifts... no problems.
We left Vegas at about 70*, hit VERY HEAVY rain in Bakersfield, and temps down to 25* at Mt Shasta. NO ISSUES.

Interesting. The Miata has a pretty high locking ratio for its Torsen, so maybe the Corvette's diff is just more tolerant. But that is good to know.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I was near Baker in the Mojave Desert. Got towed 105 miles to Las Vegas! That was the closest and only tire available!

We drove 1300 miles from Vegas to Bakersfield, to Seattle. There were NO noticeable handling issues, none at all.. I did not drive it "gingerly" either... very hard accelerations on interstate on ramps, higher speeds enroute (80+), aggressive downshifts... no problems.

Maybe you were lucky, or maybe Goodyear actually thought about that kind of possibility and tried to make the tires behave similarily.

But i would still try to get all 4 tires the same in both tread and wear.
Unfortunately, that may mean $$$$.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:00 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Maybe you were lucky, or maybe Goodyear actually thought about that kind of possibility and tried to make the tires behave similarily.

But i would still try to get all 4 tires the same in both tread and wear.
Unfortunately, that may mean $$$$.
The fact is that with your driving you never really tested the tires to their max performance. At that point you will find out the cons of having a different tire on the rear.

Unfortunately the time the tires are tested 100% is usually during an emergency. Goodyears are garbage for the rain/cold compared to any Michelin. Bridgestone is also a better option.

Quick Reply: Goodyear F1 Supercar's.. Is there a significant difference in the 2 tread patterns?