C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help!! Gluing my rocker cover and inner fender on

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 PM
dieselfever1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!! Gluing my rocker cover and inner fender on

I have a project car i'm working on and i have to glue the rocker panel (apperature panel) on and the front inner fender. There are 2 different types of glue, the soft set which is mostly used for the rocker cover, and the Hard set which is used to hold the biggest part of the inner fender on. The soft set i think i am going to use windshield sealant because it looks and feels to be about what came off the car, it has about the same strength. The hard set stuff i think i can go to auto zone and get, it should be the epoxy that has that fancy mixing spout on it (don't remember what it is called off hand).

My biggest issue is i know that these 2 panels need to be dead nuts on or the panels wont fit up right, so how do i do this, is there some type of spec sheet out there?
Old 02-17-2013, 04:00 PM
dieselfever1
Advanced

ttt
Old 02-17-2013, 05:19 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

If you post this in the paint and body section of the forum I'm sure you'll get an answer.

Tom
Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I had my passenger side rocker panel replaced by a local body shop. They are very experienced and did a great job. I can't say for sure, but I think that the glue that is used takes many hours to set firmly, so I think they use clamps to hold it in place and then fit the front and rear panels on the car and make adjustments to get it just right (while the glue is still workable) and then re-clamp it and let it cure for a day or two.

Obviously it has to be just right for the front fenders, rear quarter panel, and the door to fit and have good gaps. It's not an amateur project, that's for sure.

I will give you one tip though, make sure whoever does it doesn't put glue right where the holes are on the front of the door opening (where the door hinges are). There is a weather strip that has plastics clips that go in those holes. Ask me how I know.

Here's a photo of mine in progress.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:10 PM
dieselfever1
Advanced

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
I had my passenger side rocker panel replaced by a local body shop. They are very experienced and did a great job. I can't say for sure, but I think that the glue that is used takes many hours to set firmly, so I think they use clamps to hold it in place and then fit the front and rear panels on the car and make adjustments to get it just right (while the glue is still workable) and then re-clamp it and let it cure for a day or two.

Obviously it has to be just right for the front fenders, rear quarter panel, and the door to fit and have good gaps. It's not an amateur project, that's for sure.

I will give you one tip though, make sure whoever does it doesn't put glue right where the holes are on the front of the door opening (where the door hinges are). There is a weather strip that has plastics clips that go in those holes. Ask me how I know.

Here's a photo of mine in progress.

Thanks alot man, this is very helpful. i wish i knew what kind of glue this is. Im having a body shop do it but they arent corvette guys, i do not know how any corvette guys in my area.

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help!! Gluing my rocker cover and inner fender on

Quick Reply: Need Help!! Gluing my rocker cover and inner fender on