C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance upgrade suggestions from base coupe?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
How do you intend to use the car....are you into drag racing, parking lot autocross events, road course racing or will it be strictly a street car? You're not going to modify and setup a car for the drag strip the same as a track (road course) car. If you're into road racing you probably won't want to use forced induction. You can make certain 'all-purpose' performance modifications but having a specific use or goal really helps define what you do to get the most from your car.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:10 PM
SeeFiveOhFun
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
If you are in Calif. will it pass emissions with hedders and tune.Do they do visual you will fail with hedders.
z51vett
Doug
This is something to consider for sure. I've read on here that some headers will pass the sniffer just fine but fail visuals because the oxygen sensors aren't in the same place - at least on the long tubes. No matter what, smog testing will be an issue you face every 2 years here in Cali so choose your parts wisely. A&A Vortech blower has a CARB # so is the best way to get huge gains and stay CA compliant.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:27 PM
NY Chief
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
If you are in Calif. will it pass emissions with hedders and tune.Do they do visual you will fail with hedders.
z51vett
Doug
Not sure. Probably not. In K alifornia everything ahs Big Brother watching out. What's funny is that they could give a crap about safety inspection like in NY where you had to get an insp for brakes, tires, light's, wipers, etc. In Kalifornia all they care about is a smog check. You can limp inot a smog station with three wheels and no headlights but it it passes smog you're good to go....I have a K&N on my truck and the guy wouldn't smog it without the Kalifornia legal sticker on the intake!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:29 PM
NY Chief
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wayne O
How do you intend to use the car....are you into drag racing, parking lot autocross events, road course racing or will it be strictly a street car? You're not going to modify and setup a car for the drag strip the same as a track (road course) car. If you're into road racing you probably won't want to use forced induction. You can make certain 'all-purpose' performance modifications but having a specific use or goal really helps define what you do to get the most from your car.
All around driveability and get up and go. No real purpose.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 PM
SeeFiveOhFun
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NY Chief
All around driveability and get up and go. No real purpose.
Then the A&A Vortech makes even more sense if you have the $ and want a "no headache in California" solution for adding big hp. . .
Old 02-14-2013, 01:03 PM
NY Chief
Advanced

You guys are probably right. Maybe I'll just go for an NPP exhaust and a tune so it "sounds" like I'm going somewhere! (with no Kalifornia smog issues...
Old 02-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mundo
Watch your step adding power. I added a bunch of power to my C5, upgraded the intake, heads, exhaust, sway bars, etc. The lost control and wrapped it around a tree. Forgot to widen the tires. The extra torque to the rear wheels and C6 Z06 sway bars on 275 tires caused a major amount of over steer and fish tailed all over the road and straight into a tree.

BE CAREFUL my friend! Make sure you can keep it on the ground and control it.
I'd suggest the driver mod before you go crazy there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Performance upgrade suggestions from base coupe?