C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1,000 mile C6 falling apart...what the heck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

As Bill said check plug wires I had one with a skip tech tool showed misfire tech couldn't not figure out why. I went home waited on Corvette to cool down and started checking plug wires #8 fell off in my had put it back on good and tight no problem but tech had no clue.
z51vett
Doug
Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 AM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Plug wires was the first thing I thought of. Running great, stomp on it, runs rough. Forces shakes of loose plug wire. Easy to check. Happened to me on the C5.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 AM
FullyVetted
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

misleading thread...Just get your garage queen fixed...period
Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
Sounds like the previous owner might have done something to/with it. Did you have the service record checked before you bought it?

Be sure to tell us what you found out after you have it serviced to fix all the problems.
Another reason to purchase brand new with little mileage on it so you are the original owner and don't have to worry what someone else did or modified.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:15 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

This condition can be induced by a sudden surge of cold or turbulant air that the sensors can't rectify quickly enough. The car goes into limp mode like you described.

First, disconnect the battery for at least 15 minutes to reset the entire electrical system.

If no cure, check battery load test and alternator output. replace as necessary.

If no cure, get codes read to narrow the search.

If no cure, PM me to trade even up for my good running '08 with only 106K miles.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Black LS2
My money is on Service Active Handling too....when the dealer did my SAH recall fix, they had to clear a bunch of codes that were a result of SAH and DBS.
AH has no ability to cause an engine misfire whether it is on or off. SAH just means there is a code that has caused the EBCM to disable AH. When AH is turned off by the EBCM it just means you don't have AH and in the grand scheme of things is not a big whoop te do since the car is still driveable and can be driven forever that way. It is more important than a Service Radio message (if the car had the ability to display such a message) but not that much more important. Don't let the pile of falsehoods in the SAH sticky mislead you.

Not the same with a misfire which can be indicative of a major engine issue or if not resolved the cause of a major engine issue.

Misfires are usually caused by a problem in the ignition or fuel systems. In this case fixing the misfire will probably make the Service messages disappear.

Bill
Old 02-14-2013, 02:27 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jetske
Guys...ok, maybe the new battery is bad??? Your comments plus I'm still getting a "service charging system" message? Maybe I need to get the battery tested.

Car runs and shakes really bad. It all went to $hit after I hit the gas tonight...would that also be battery?
sure could be. a low battery will not have the power to operate the ignition system correctly.

the car is a 2008 which means the battery is 5 years old and due for replacement. if it has been ran low a time or two or sat {as i'm sure the car did} without a battery tender it's shot
Old 02-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,994 Likes on 1,678 Posts

I had something similiar happen last summer in my 2012 GS Vert. It was an accelerator pedal sensor...did clear up once service.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...n-the-dic.html
Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

All the symptoms of a "reduced power "status . Ive had this and it was a bad battery

Clif
Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

problems willl cease once you remove the logo off the windshield
Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Crank sensor?

I have a 06 C6 A6 F55 NAV and I had the CRANK SENSOR act up coming home from vacation at 9K miles. Here are the symtoms:

1. Engine stopped running - coasted to side of road with dead engine, tack, etc. quit working,
2. Car restarted but ran like on six (6) cylinders or so and tack crazy and jumping,
3. Limped on to store near house and turned off engine and picked up few groceries near house,
4. Car started up immediately and RAN NORMALLY, and
5. Drove home and drove to dealer next morning.

They found CRANK SENSOR BAD and replaced and no problems since driving 60K+ miles.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default Take to dealer for sure!

Originally Posted by tonysrep
I started reading this post thinking parts were actually falling off the car, then come to find via your post that it's not charging and throwing codes... Thats not falling apart.....the charging problem alone could be the whole issue by its self...take it to a shop or dealer and find out what the issue is ...asking opinions here is guesswork at best ..
TOO MUCH SPECULATION! Take it to a respectable dealer and let them resolve the problem.

As the above poster stated, that the OP sounded like the car was falling apart (body parts falling off, etc.) and this was not the actual problem, misrepresented the problem. Now, there may be other misrepresatations which may also confuse CF members trying to help. Therefore, take it to a dealer who most likely can resolve the problem and take the guess work out of it.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:35 PM
jetske
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

OP here; posting a follow up to this thread. Thanks to everyone that had productive and helpful suggestions. CF is awesome and you guys rock. Thank you!

I tried everything you guys suggested. From checking battery, to seating fuses under hood and behind passenger foot well, checked if spark plug wires were tight, battery is brand new and tested fine, pulled the codes and best I could see was a oxygen sensor error but ultimately...no luck. Gas was fresh and windshield banner had nothing to do with it. Finally took it to my Chevy dealer.

And the verdict is (drum roll............)
Bad Spark Plug Wire on #3 cylinder

$271 fix (including diagnosis and synthetic oil change). Car runs great! Took it out tonight and pushed it a little hard (110mph) and no errors, shifts fine, runs fine, very strong car. Cost me 43 miles while at the dealership (they must have had fun test driving) which sucks when your car has 1,170 miles on it. But overall, I'm glad things are fixed.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

P.S. dudes...stop ragging on the windshield banner! That's one of the ways you can tell a "Festive/Parade" track-used Indy 500 pace car from a plain "dealer" replica. Like it or not it's part of the collectability of the car.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:50 PM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to hear it. $271 for plug wires, and an oil change
Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Is the 5/100k powertrain warranty all done on it?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:35 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't panic buddy, that Vette has been sit ting for some time. Get it running and give it a good flogging

Get notified of new replies

To 1,000 mile C6 falling apart...what the heck?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

I am no stranger to Corvette and have C3, C4, C5, and C6 Vettes in my collection. We just found this 2008 Corvette Indy 500 Pace Car Festival #1 for sale and bought it one week ago (picture below at the track in 2008, on the left). Car had 1,056 miles (yes, one thousand fifty six) and is automatic transmission. Decided to drive the car to work today, for the first time driving it anywhere, with paper license plate in the window just to have fun. But this afternoon the car is falling apart and I need advice.

When I stopped by a friends house on the way home to show him the car we went for a ride and I hit the gas a little aggressively; nothing too bad. Car ran strong for a split second but then then flipped out and ran horribly. Check engine started flashing, "service traction control" errors, "service electrical system" flashing...car runs like absolute $hit at all speeds. Idle or on the drive home after my visit, the car is shaking like a 1976 Ford Granada about to die. Down shift approaching a stop sign, transmission is knocking through gears...it's not good. Check engine flashing and traction control lights still on.

I bought a 2005 C6 with 517 miles on it 3 years ago which also sat at NCM for 5 years with no use, and I never had any technical issues like this. Anybody have advice on my next steps?

Bad Battery, Very Old Fuel!! repalce battery and clean fuel system, car will be perfect. Sitting can kill a car, drive it!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 AM
FullyVetted
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neil Baker
Bad Battery, Very Old Fuel!! repalce battery and clean fuel system, car will be perfect. Sitting can kill a car, drive it!
So can a "Bad Spark Plug Wire on #3 cylinder"
Old 02-20-2013, 06:44 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

OP here; posting a follow up to this thread. Thanks to everyone that had productive and helpful suggestions. CF is awesome and you guys rock. Thank you!

I tried everything you guys suggested. From checking battery, to seating fuses under hood and behind passenger foot well, checked if spark plug wires were tight, battery is brand new and tested fine, pulled the codes and best I could see was a oxygen sensor error but ultimately...no luck. Gas was fresh and windshield banner had nothing to do with it. Finally took it to my Chevy dealer.

And the verdict is (drum roll............)
Bad Spark Plug Wire on #3 cylinder

$271 fix (including diagnosis and synthetic oil change). Car runs great! Took it out tonight and pushed it a little hard (110mph) and no errors, shifts fine, runs fine, very strong car. Cost me 43 miles while at the dealership (they must have had fun test driving) which sucks when your car has 1,170 miles on it. But overall, I'm glad things are fixed.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

P.S. dudes...stop ragging on the windshield banner! That's one of the ways you can tell a "Festive/Parade" track-used Indy 500 pace car from a plain "dealer" replica. Like it or not it's part of the collectability of the car.

Update your orig post #1 refer them to your fix above. Thanks, glad you got it fixed. Some members don't read ALL origional posts and immediately jump in to help when fix has been determined and completed. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 1,000 mile C6 falling apart...what the heck?