C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Ride, TC, and AH during wet weather

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Magnetic Ride, TC, and AH during wet weather

I have a 6-speed GS with Mag. Ride and I wondering what settings you guys use when its wet? I daily drive my Vette and I've noticed that MR feels a little be more forgiving in the soft setting after a initial rain or when it is damp out side. Am I imagining this or do others notice this as well?

Also in the same conditions what combination of nannies do ya'll run. I've started turning just the TC off because I don't want the engine cutting power when I might need to drive through a GY GenII inspired accidental drift.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

My 2011 is much more tolerant of NOT cutting the throttle when "fishtailing" from accelleration, so I leave all of the nannies on for normal highway driving. AND I usually run on the street in Tour mode too.

My 2008 was downright dangerous on pulling out on slippery damp roads, because it would almost stall when the traction control/active handling kicked in. I almost got run over a couple times with it.

This morning, in the 2011 GS, I came to work on 40 degree damp roads in the dark, and I accellerated hard in 2nd, but just drifted slightly, and quickly got up to interstate speed. My part of Florida has many road with no accelleration lanes (directly onto interstates), and drivers rarely let you in, but that is another story.

I now have Bridgestone Potenza RF's on it, and they grip MUCH better in the cooler temps than "worn" Gen2 tires. When my Gen2's were less than 10k miles, they held pretty good all the time on the highway.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:29 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

thanks. Can I ask why you went with the Bridgestones over Michellins and do you track your car any ?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:49 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

I went with the Bridgestones because there were many positive comments from the Z06 forum, and everything they reported have been true to me. I have about 15k on them, I still have 60 - 70% tread life left, they hold very well on 30 degree to 100 degree temps here in Florida (on both wet and dry roads). I can "make" it spin if I try hard in 1st, but from 2nd gear on up, I just get a very loud "bark" as I power shift up through the gears.

I've recreationally drag raced and tracked them, and I can push them as safely as I could the Michelin's that were on the vettes at Spring Mountain driving school. I hit 88 - 90 mph in the 1/8 portion of the 1/4 mile, on a 100 degree day at Orlando Speedway, with 30 psi in them, and no water burnout. And, I can hang with other vettes on the track, the tires are not the limiting factor.

They were significantly less expensive than the Michelin's, so I took a risk. It looks like I'm gonna get a couple years out of them, since I put about 15k a year on my GS as a daily driver.

BUT, you can't go wrong with Michelin's either, because if the price was comparable, I personally would by either tire. I'm a runflat guy too, just because I travel long distances at times, and I've had several flats, and all were easily repaired, and the vette drove as if the tire still had air in it, for all practical purposes.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic Ride, TC, and AH during wet weather

Quick Reply: Magnetic Ride, TC, and AH during wet weather