C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 Tire - Not for Cold Weather Use

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

its funny you see knuckleheads all winter long driving around on low profile performance tires...I usually give them extra spacing....
Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Heck Mad Max and I can tell you how crappy a set of A/S tires can be. My daughter's Sonic's OEM Hankook all season tires were crappy in the cold/snow/ice especially for a FWD car. Replaced them with Michelin Defenders and she said she felt like she gained 10 years of experience driving.

But you would think someone dropping $50k or more on a car would do so some research for their needs.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:42 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
True, but the notice in the OP doesn't say not to drive the car, it says "If the ambient temperature in your location is at or below -7°C (20°F), DO NOT MOVE THIS VEHICLE." So, not only can you not drive it, but if it's parked outside and the temp drops below 20* you can't even move it or put it in the garage or the tires will crack? That's beyond stupid for a tire that comes on a car from the factory.

The wife's Shelby has these tires and they truly suck. They're getting replaced by Michelins ASAP.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
anyone with a brain and more than a years experience driving a car knows that high performance tires and cold weather do not mix...
Did you know that Spring Mountain operates year round? When I was there in early December, the track and air temps were in the 20's at the beginning of the day, and we were lapping before the temps got above freezing. This was not even the coldest time of year for them, yet the Michelin tires they use have no such problems, and no problems with grip either.

Tires should not be damaged by being driven in those types of temps, period. I sense a recall in the works.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Steve_R
True, but the notice in the OP doesn't say not to drive the car, it says "If the ambient temperature in your location is at or below -7°C (20°F), DO NOT MOVE THIS VEHICLE." So, not only can you not drive it, but if it's parked outside and the temp drops below 20* you can't even move it or put it in the garage or the tires will crack? That's beyond stupid for a tire that comes on a car from the factory.

The wife's Shelby has these tires and they truly suck. They're getting replaced by Michelins ASAP.
I saw what it said...and I agree that is pretty bad

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis
Did you know that Spring Mountain operates year round? When I was there in early December, the track and air temps were in the 20's at the beginning of the day, and we were lapping before the temps got above freezing. This was not even the coldest time of year for them, yet the Michelin tires they use have no such problems, and no problems with grip either.

yes I do...and I also know from my own experience on the street in Florida when the temp drops you better be damn careful with quick manuvers or you will find yourself facing the opposite direction especially if the tires are still cold....I imagine you did a few laps before you were out running at speed. That being said I also venture to guess that those cars receive new rubber pretty frequently...
Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Heck Mad Max and I can tell you how crappy a set of A/S tires can be. My daughter's Sonic's OEM Hankook all season tires were crappy in the cold/snow/ice especially for a FWD car.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:57 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
yes I do...and I also know from my own experience on the street in Florida when the temp drops you better be damn careful with quick manuvers or you will find yourself facing the opposite direction especially if the tires are still cold....I imagine you did a few laps before you were out running at speed. That being said I also venture to guess that those cars receive new rubber pretty frequently...
The tires were cold first thing in the morning (I checked), though the cars were outside idling to warm up the engine. We usually did one lap at about 60%, then one lap at about 80%.

And the tires probably last a week or two. So, you think the problem is that the Goodyear rubber gets hard as it ages? I hadn't thought of that and that might very well be. But the scary thing is that these tires are fairly new so I don't think there's any G2 tire that's more than a couple of years old.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:23 AM
jgallcny
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Summer" means different things to different folks in various parts of the country. I'd usually consider road conditions the primary issue in that no snow... don't need all season tires! However the F1s on my C5 were loosing their grip when the temps got onto the 50s. After getting a bit sideways a couple of times, they got my attention. A GOOD LESSON LEARNED here though. Aside from tire damage, the traction in the dry at moderate temps should be highlighted by the tire manufacturers for us "amateurs" to consider.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis
So, you think the problem is that the Goodyear rubber gets hard as it ages? I hadn't thought of that and that might very well be. But the scary thing is that these tires are fairly new so I don't think there's any G2 tire that's more than a couple of years old.
I've been told by a Goodyear tire engineer that certain tire compounds for lack of a better term "crystallize" from repeated cold/hot heat cycle, and that is what I believe happens most dramatically with the Goodyears, including the GEN2's. I would break traction with "cold" tires at any temp below 60 degrees, in 3rd gear, straight line accelleration at about 4k rpms, when I had about 14k miles on mine, so I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza RFs, and the issue was history.

The Bridgestones continue to grip very well cold (from the mid 20's cold traction on WV trips), to the low 100's here in parts of Florida. Meaning, very consistant traction cold, hot, wet, dry, etc. Cnsistancy is very important to me, so that you can predict how the car will handle, especially with a daily driver like mine.

A year and a half later, I now have over 20k plus miles on the Bridgestones, and the temp in my part of Florida was in the mid 50's this morning. I could barely get a chirp shifting hard to 2nd this morning, so they continue to grip well in the cooler temps, with many miles on them too.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:46 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

My Super Sports are great down to 5 degrees or so (low as I had them) as long as it is dry. I even did a max power accel onto the interstate and had no issues.

But if someone looks at the G2's tread, or even the Michelin Cup tires tread one should be able to figure out that they are not made for cold weather driving. Run flats tend to be jumpy in the cold anyway, and that is the A/S ZP tires I had on my 08 before.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Force Corvette
Z06
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement tires

What replacement tire is recommended for the Z06
Old 10-27-2013, 11:53 AM
tominohio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Okey, but for the other 95% that buy cars off the showroom floors totally ignorant of such things, it seems GM has screwed up big time by not posting warning lables on their G/S, Z06, 427 Convertibles, or ZR1 models that clearly states "this car, because of it's summer performance tires is unsafe to drive at temperatures below 50 degrees F. and in substantial rain."
G/S, Z06, 427 Convertibles or ZR1 models are designated as such so the "High Performance Customer" can buy a car which is intended for let's say spirited driving.
I want tires on my G/S that are agressive when hot that's why I bought it. If you want to look cool and drive the car for mundane transportation.....buy a base model and leave the ZL1 camaro's to the people who know what the "ZL1 has ALWAYS stood for...."Maximum Performance with NO compromise."

Quick Reply: Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 Tire - Not for Cold Weather Use