C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A fast question regarding using a clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 03:01 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Default A fast question regarding using a clay bar

So I am getting ready to strip the wax off my C6 and get it ready for Rejex. My plan is to wash the car with Dawn, then clay bar, and a second wash prior to the Rejex treatment.

My question is that I have heard you can use Dawn as the clay bar lubricant. Usually I use spray detailer to lubricate, but if I can use Dawn instead then rinse, that could save me a step. If I can use the Dawn, I plan to use it full strength.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-17-2013, 03:03 PM
1BADLS3
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the detailer spray, but I have heard you can use dish soap too...but not full strength. Put about a tbsp in a spray bottle and fill with water.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:04 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I have used Dawn to wash and remove the wax and you can use a teaspoon mixed with water in a spray bottle to lubricate the clay bar although I have been using detailing spray...no need for full strength dawn
Old 02-17-2013, 03:05 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 916 Likes on 452 Posts

Skip the dawn and just use your car wash soap
Best bet would be to machine polish after the clay.

Last edited by steve8; 02-17-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:50 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
So I am getting ready to strip the wax off my C6 and get it ready for Rejex. My plan is to wash the car with Dawn, then clay bar, and a second wash prior to the Rejex treatment.

My question is that I have heard you can use Dawn as the clay bar lubricant. Usually I use spray detailer to lubricate, but if I can use Dawn instead then rinse, that could save me a step. If I can use the Dawn, I plan to use it full strength.

Any thoughts?
I don't see why the Dawn wouldn't work, but I would cut it with water as other have suggested. Straight soap would make for a pretty sludgy lubricant.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Audacious Nick
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Dawn is a degreaser. By using it to wash the whole car, you can dry out the weather stripping, causing cracking. In my opinion, it's not worth the risk. But it can be used as a lubricant, when diluted, for claying. I still wouldn't recommend it, but you can do it.

Last edited by Audacious Nick; 02-17-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM
P0234
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The real risk with dawn is it doesn't provide encapsulating lubrication like a good car wash. Ideally you want to wash with a good quality wash, then once all the dirt is off the car, use the dawn. In reality, the clay is going to strip whatever wax you have on it so you'll be fine even without the dawn wash. I'd still use a good QD for claying. Its no fun having to polish out marring due to carelessness while claying.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:57 PM
arrie
Simplify
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: forging ahead...making up for lost time and embracing each day thankful to be alive.... nj
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15
~~~ CFOT Book Folder ~~~
NCM Sinkhole Donor

At the risk of a good thrashing I will ask anyway...(and I did search "clay bar" and found nothing useful)

What is a clay bar....

Why would you strip wax....

What is Rejex.....

What is the desired end result?

Any and all help would be appreciated....
Old 02-17-2013, 05:59 PM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

WASH THE CAR WITH CAR WASH SOAP, THEN CLAY BAR WITH DETAIL SPRAY AS A LUBRICANT,THEN POLISH,AND SUCH..............GO TO ADAMS WEBSITE AND THEY HAVE MANY VIDEOS THAT SHOW YOU HOW TO DO IT
Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arrie
At the risk of a good thrashing I will ask anyway...(and I did search "clay bar" and found nothing useful)

What is a clay bar....

Why would you strip wax....

What is Rejex.....

What is the desired end result?

Any and all help would be appreciated....
CLAY BAR: Clay bars are used in removing embedded and desposited "crud" on car's painted surfaces. Found in most auto parts stores, rubbing the wetted surface with a clay bar smooths the surface noticably. We use this to prepare the car for wax or protectant,

STRIP WAX: We strip the old wax as preparation for applying new wax.

REJEX: Product that protects surfaces and discorages stuff from sticking. Supposedly developed for aircraft, many use it on their cars and / or wheels. Works well for helping keep chrome wheels looking good. Crud rinses off easier.

END RESULT: Having the shiniest and cleanest Corvette, of course!

Last edited by florida john; 02-17-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 PM
arrie
Simplify
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: forging ahead...making up for lost time and embracing each day thankful to be alive.... nj
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15
~~~ CFOT Book Folder ~~~
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by florida john
CLAY BAR: Clay bars are used in removing embedded and desposited "crud" on car's painted surfaces. Found in most auto parts stores, rubbing the wetted surface with a clay bar smooths the surface noticably. We use this to prepare the car for wax or protectant,

STRIP WAX: We strip the old wax as preparation for applying new wax.

REJEX: Product that protects surfaces and discorages stuff from sticking. Supposedly developed for aircraft, many use it on their cars and / or wheels. Works well for helping keep chrome wheels looking good. Crud rinses off easier.

END RESULT: Having the shiniest and cleanest Corvette, of course!
thank you. Crystal clear...no pun intended. I was reluctant to ask as I have taken a licking or two....your response was greatly appreciated. Guess I'm off to autoparts store tomorrow. My red vette looks all scratched up no matter how many times I wax her. Hopefully this will help. I have to wax by hand,...does that matter?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:34 PM
1BADLS3
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arrie
thank you. Crystal clear...no pun intended. I was reluctant to ask as I have taken a licking or two....your response was greatly appreciated. Guess I'm off to autoparts store tomorrow. My red vette looks all scratched up no matter how many times I wax her. Hopefully this will help. I have to wax by hand,...does that matter?
I too was a clay/Rejex newbie last summer. I was amazed!

1. Wash thoroughly
2. Clay Bar using detail spray as lube (I bought Macguiers sp? clay bar kit and followed directions...comes with detail spray).
3. Polish (I did it by hand)
4. Rejex...available online...not sure any auto parts stores carry it.
5. Wax if desired (I did not).

Old 02-17-2013, 06:44 PM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

ARRIE.YOU NEED TO CLEAN THE PAINT FIRST AND REMOVE ANY SWIRL MARKS AND SUCH..WAX IS DONE LAST
Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

use a car wash soap as a lubricant. . its got to be slick..thats why i use Zaino's z7 as a lube..its has some of his polish in it.. and i use distilled water in the the spray bottle..only 2 tea spoons of soap in a quart... using distilled water rules out mineral contamination.. just a little extra fix for a job well done.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:16 PM
DASHZNT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
use a car wash soap as a lubricant. . its got to be slick..thats why i use Zaino's z7 as a lube..its has some of his polish in it.. and i use distilled water in the the spray bottle..only 2 tea spoons of soap in a quart... using distilled water rules out mineral contamination.. just a little extra fix for a job well done.

I was gonna say the exact same thing, but thanx to WOLFDOGS, all I have to say is... DITTO!

Get notified of new replies

To A fast question regarding using a clay bar

Quick Reply: A fast question regarding using a clay bar