C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ron Fellows School @ Spring Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:18 PM
sgd1201
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ron Fellows School @ Spring Mountain

I would like to share my recent experience at the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School at Spring Mountain. My entire experience was top notch from start to finish. I know this is a long post, but I just can’t cover it all in a few short words.

I just finished the Level one course and want to share my experience with anyone interested in learning more about the school, course and facility from my perspective.

I have no racing experience and very limited knowledge within the sport of racing. I like all things mechanical especially things that go fast!

I own a 2010 Grand Sport Coupe manual transmission. I have had my car for about a year. (I’m the second owner) I have loved corvettes and wanted one since I could remember. My car is completely stock. I would have bought myself a vette earlier in life but having married in my early twenties and starting a family in my mid twenties my budget did not allow for a corvette. This is not a poor me story just a little background for people to relate to and put into perspective.

I had been talking about this course for a few months with a friend of mine (also a corvette owner) and was saying that owning my car plus having one more child in college, I would need to wait another year or two before I could even think about fitting this school into my budget. My wonderful wife of 27 years keenly picked up on this and for my 50th birthday present she presented me with the level one course. WOW! what an awesome birthday gift.

Ok, back to Spring Mountain. The facilities were outstanding, and the people were great! ALL of the instructors were outstanding and I enjoyed learning from each and every one of them. Rick, Stan, Tom, Rocky, Vic, Rico and Todd you guys are awesome!

Day one we started with braking exercises which included no ABS and then with ABS. Then on to our introduction to Heel Toe shifting. My dad had taught me how to do this back when I learned to drive, but he taught me backwards, (toe on the throttle heel on the brake) That old technique I learned long ago created a real feeling of awkwardness for me at first. All of our instructors kept reassuring us to just keep practicing and that we would get it. Then out on the track! First day on the track no shifting, just follow the leader and learn the right line to take through the track.

Day two, car control exercises. Figure 8’s and an uneven oval with a wide radius and a narrow radius turn. Computer systems off..... just learn the feel of the car. I was pretty impressed with just how stable the corvette is! More heel toe shifting practice on the straight and then out to the track again. On Day 2 we got a demo ride with an instructor showing us just how easy it is, seriously though, these guys are so smooth they make it look easy. By the end of day two we had introduced the shifting points on the track and things were starting to come together.

Most of our track instruction came via radio (while solo) in the car and directly following the instructor. Each student had the chance to follow directly behind the instructor multiple times so that we were sure we were getting the right picture and learning the right way, and also receiving input based specifically on what we were doing right and wrong.

On Day Three, we had the chance to reverse position and lead through the track with the instructor right behind us. This time it was up to us to follow the correct line through the track, decide when to brake, how much speed to carry into a turn when to brake, when to add throttle. No instructor bumper or brake lights to carry you through. However we did have our instructor right behind us on the radio coach us through the laps. Finally, by the end of day 3 we did some “open lapping” Again, we were not just cut loose. It was a very safe and controlled environment and passing was called out on the radio and only allowed on the straight aways. There is no blocking anyone from passing.

Overall, the experience was fabulous! It was incredibly fun and I learned to be a better driver. However the best part for me is that I got to experience some of the capabilities of my car and I got to do it in a SAFE environment. I would love to drive my car here at home the way I got to drive on the track at Spring Mountain, but I know that would be a foolish decision and an error in judgement. Another important thing I learned is that the active handling and traction control system is an OUTSTANDING tool for novice drivers. The system won’t prevent you from losing control of your car but it will help you tremendously. It will make just the right input at just the right moment to help you get the car balanced and back on line. As our instructors told us turning the system off will not help a novice go faster but it will let us crash faster! As the days went on and I switched back and forth from the Grand Sport to the Z06, I began to notice the additional stiffness of the Z06. The Z06 was stiff enough where I would notice my mistakes mostly AFTER the computer system was helping me out, where as in the Grand Sport I could feel the a bit more motion or “roll” in the car and was able to make control inputs BEFORE the system was forced to help me out. At times I still needed and felt the computer helping me in the Grand Sport, its just that I was already starting my correction, and the computer inputs were less often in the Grand Sport than in the Z06.

I am considering looking into auto crossing, I have not wanted to do this because I have read about many buyers not wanting a car that has been “tracked”. This gave me a false sense that running a car on the track is abusive. These cars are made to be driven fast! One of the things we were taught is that we need to finesse our way through the track and that is how you gain overall speed. It really is amazing to see just how smooth the instructors are during the demo laps. I’d rather buy a car that was driven by one of Spring Mountain’s professional drivers on the track than a car that was never warmed up and had its owner stomping on the throttle as soon as it was pulled out of the drive way.... but it was never on a track!

As humans, when we first experience operating a vehicle that goes fast we naturally think we have to manipulate the controls “fast”, instead, we need to learn good technique and proper procedure, smooth and precise control input. Then, as we get proficient, you will gain speed, AND, you will notice everything slowing down, but you will actually be going through the track faster......

I had such a good experience, I would like to come back for a Level Two, and maybe even a Level Three, but that will require another budget adjustment. Another dream experience for me is to be able to experience this course with my son’s now that they are young adults. (I’m not gender bias, I have no daughters, in fact women, many times do better than men in these kinds of environments) I may have to start a Spring Mountain savings account LOL!

Unless you are already an outstanding driver who can take your car to its limits, the best modification you can make to your car is a driving school. A really good indication of this was seeing the instructors EASILY keep up with the students in the ZR1 while they were in the Grand Sport! Another indicator of this is that on some of the laps I was able to keep up with the students that were driving the ZR1. One of the ZR1 students even commented to me that he was surprised I was able to keep up with him given that I was in the Grand Sport. The ZR1 did pull away from me in the back stretch. On some of the other sessions when I was in the Z06 following the ZR1, I noticed it was even easier for me to “hang” with the guys in the ZR1. (I’m talking Students on Students of course)

If you are thinking of modifying your car and you are a novice driver, do yourself a BIG favor and put the money into a driving course! You will get WAY more bang for your buck! If you just want to brag about horsepower and torque, and sound cool, then by all means, go for the mods.

Once again, A big thanks to the staff at Spring Mountain and the Ron Fellows school for a great experience, and a very special thanks to my instructors Rick, Stan, Tom, Rocky, Vic, Rico and Todd for introducing me to Performance Driving! You guys were awesome!!

If anyone is considering this school and has any specific question or wants to just talk about it send me a PM, I'd be happy to talk about it with you.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:29 PM
BEASTC6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was Ron's school with you. You nailed in in your description, well said. By the way, I got home without getting stopped. I am not a complete driver yet but am on my way thanks to Rick, Stan, Tom, Rocky, Vic, Rico and Todd. You all had the perfect blend of knowledge and patience. Alba and I thank you.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Thanks for sharing, it is on my bucket list.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

good write up...agree with you...great experience
Old 02-18-2013, 06:19 PM
john malone
Heel & Toe

Default Do This First

I was in the same class as well. The OP did a nice job of describing the school.

I talked for years about going, and a while back I read this blog: http://sandiegobmw.wordpress.com/page/2/ and scroll down to BMW Modifications Do This First

I firmly believe owning fast car is with out proper training is not... smart.

The Level 1 course was outstanding. The instructors really make worth while and fun. Rick sets the tone, and his entire staff follows through.

Stay for all 3 days. I had periods where I did better, and worse, but on day 3 a lot came together. We drove so much I opted to have an instructor ride with me on the last session; I felt fatigue setting in and didn't want to be a dunb*** and have an incident at the end of an incredible experience.

So as far as modifications go: Do This First! Is it worth the $$.

JM
Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 PM
v.vet's Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 115 Posts

I attended Spring Mountain prior to Ron's involvement. The description you gave is very close to what we learned several years ago. Be careful though, when I attended, the school had just introduced the Z06s and after driving them, I thought I needed one!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:02 PM
redmanmd
7th Gear

I too just finished the 3 day Level 1 course. The course is an incredible opportunity to learn about driving these powerful machines. The course is awesome because of the people there. They put you first. They are invested in you learning some basic skills and advancing you quickly and comfortably. My driving experience has been greatly enhanced. I highly recommend this course to anyone who drives...

Get notified of new replies

To Ron Fellows School @ Spring Mountain

Quick Reply: Ron Fellows School @ Spring Mountain