C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on handeling my dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:58 PM
vette4mud
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need some advice on handeling my dealer

Guys, i need some advice on what to do. Ill give yall the run down and see what yall think
Bought my 08 vette from the dealer feb '12
March '12 - Had a leak in my clutch line, lost pressure got stranded about 3 miles from my house and had to get it towed to the dealer to get it fixed. Warranty covered it. Stayed in the shop for about 3 weeks.
November '12 - started noticing 3rd gear and reverse grinding trying to go into them. Think it was my syncros, knowing warranty was still good i took it to them then. they kept it for a month, spent 1100 on a new clutch bc it was "advised" that i get it replaced. It wasnt 30 seconds after leaving the dealer i felt reverse grind a little again. was FURIOUS but couldnt stand bringing it in before christmas so i waited until after vacation to bring it in again. Warranty run out Jan '13. This whole time I'm very patient with everyone just wanting it fixed. Plus working out of town and so forth. Anyway I took it back up there last month to get it fixed again and i was told it would be fixed 2 weeks, then 3 weeks then 3 1/2, 4, and twice on the 5th week. They told me to come pick it up wednesday and i took off work, drove 3hrs to pick it up and it wasnt ready, said to come back friday and i calmly told them that i took off for this reason to pick it up, they never once called me to tell me that it wouldnt be ready. So i wait until friday, he said come pick it up at noon friday. Im at the office waiting, co worker takes me up there and they said its not ready yet, its not even put back together. This whole time im moving to a different state literally the next day and it would have been a week earlier if my car would have been ready. Finally, after 8 more hours i take a test drive with the mechanic and he tells me all the crap thats been going on, service sales fault, etc. he tells me they never asked him when it would be done. I get back to the dealer, car seems good. The service rep tells me that instead of giving them bad marks on the survey ill get in the mail, instead just have a meeting with their manager and let him know my dissatisfaction. I'm like yea right, ill think about it. I give the service "middle man" a little advice next time he "promises" a customer to pick up a car when it was days off from being ready. Before i left we got the manager involved and hes going to get the GM rep involved to see if they can refund my 1100 on a new clutch i paid for a few months before. It would take a few days to get back to me. i said your little survey will be directly related to if i get my money back on the clutch. So, i left packed what i had left, drove up to my new place and sure enough, reverse is back grinding like mother just as bad as it was. What on earth do i do now? lemmon law? demand my money back plus new tranny? new car? lol any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:09 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

well... i would ensure you are at least familar with..

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 (it at least makes you sound smart when/if you have to throw out that term)

and at read the information about 4/5 way down that says..
Alternatives to Consumer Lawsuits

armed with the law never hurts, you know, just in case
Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 PM
mlsins
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Call GM directly and tell them how unhappy you are and what you want them to do. I had an electrical problem with a different GM vehicle a few years ago and kept getting the run around BS you've been getting. Made a couple of calls over the dealers head and finally got some results.

Good luck !!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Arthur6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lemon Law only applies to a NEW car purchase and is VERY specific on what a Lemon is, yours is not even if it was a new purchase.
If you go in yelling and making demands you'll get no where.
Good luck tho
Old 02-25-2013, 07:33 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

How is it possible for it to take weeks?
My dealer here in podunk, NC can get any part next day.
The mechanics are pretty quick.
Car sales aren't really the bread and butter of dealerships anymore.
Service has to make up the difference.

I personally would cut my losses and move on.
My time is worth more than a three hour drive to pick up a car.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 AM
BOO666
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Advice : ask to speak to the general manager or gsm . Voice your complaint to that person along with your dissatisfaction . Tell them rather than call gm or give you a bad survey you want it resolved rather quickly . I'm confident it will get handled . A bad survey is bad for the dealership and the individual . Techs and sales get caught up in things from time to time . Even though they did nothing wrong . Sounds like communication break down. The gsm would rather handle the issue than get a bad survey . For the record most vette trannys grind from the factory . Adjust the shifter and torque down the bolts accordingly . That sounds unusual and I'm sure there is a reason but talking to gsm is best bet . I work for Chevy .
Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Well I'm a bit surprised that a grinding gears situation is only a clutch; seems like it may be more than that, and even if they refund that money you may be paying more.

As to the dealer thing, I only know that CF has a dealer that probably sells quite a few Corvettes, Ross Downing (http://www.rossdowningchevrolet.com/...and-directions) --and it is in Hammond about 50 miles from Kenner. I don't know if the dealer you go to does much work on Corvettes.

I'd do:
- as the suggestion above said and get Chevrolet involved (most likely worth zero) with one, 1-800 call from your Owner's Manual;
- know that the Lemon Law almost always applies only to new cars (some states do let it apply to used cars, but not many);
- call Ross Downing Service Mgr. and tell him your issues and ask who is his/her best C6 technician.

Now, since most likely your car is out of all warranties, you may want to check around and see if there is a less-expensive indie shop that does work more or less exclusively on Corvettes. They do exist. (I think there used to be at least one on here---write up a request for shop names in your regional CF forum.)

Matter of fact, I don't know what kind of reputation they have, but a quick check shows there is a Bowtie Automotive in Kenner (http://bowtieautomotive.com/) that seems to know something about Corvettes. A quick call to a local Corvette club prez may tell you just how good (or not) they are with C6s.

My suggestion is to not look for the easiest solution or you may be throwing more money at fixing the problem(s) and not really fixing them. Good luck with it and tell us how it turns out.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The lemon law wouldn't apply and I wouldn't give a favorable response on a customer satisfaction survey depending on whether or not they refund money. Getting a refund doesn't change the problems and lousy service you experienced. Don't sell out.....tell it like it is!

Also, find another more competent dealership to use.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 AM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

OP: Which dealer was it? We like to share this information among ourselves. (Good stories as well as not-so-good).

Tell us how it turns out.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:42 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by vette4mud
Guys, i need some advice on what to do. Ill give yall the run down and see what yall think
Bought my 08 vette from the dealer feb '12
March '12 - Had a leak in my clutch line, lost pressure got stranded about 3 miles from my house and had to get it towed to the dealer to get it fixed. Warranty covered it. Stayed in the shop for about 3 weeks.
November '12 - started noticing 3rd gear and reverse grinding trying to go into them. Think it was my syncros, knowing warranty was still good i took it to them then. they kept it for a month, spent 1100 on a new clutch bc it was "advised" that i get it replaced. It wasnt 30 seconds after leaving the dealer i felt reverse grind a little again. was FURIOUS but couldnt stand bringing it in before christmas so i waited until after vacation to bring it in again. Warranty run out Jan '13. This whole time I'm very patient with everyone just wanting it fixed. Plus working out of town and so forth. Anyway I took it back up there last month to get it fixed again and i was told it would be fixed 2 weeks, then 3 weeks then 3 1/2, 4, and twice on the 5th week. They told me to come pick it up wednesday and i took off work, drove 3hrs to pick it up and it wasnt ready, said to come back friday and i calmly told them that i took off for this reason to pick it up, they never once called me to tell me that it wouldnt be ready. So i wait until friday, he said come pick it up at noon friday. Im at the office waiting, co worker takes me up there and they said its not ready yet, its not even put back together. This whole time im moving to a different state literally the next day and it would have been a week earlier if my car would have been ready. Finally, after 8 more hours i take a test drive with the mechanic and he tells me all the crap thats been going on, service sales fault, etc. he tells me they never asked him when it would be done. I get back to the dealer, car seems good. The service rep tells me that instead of giving them bad marks on the survey ill get in the mail, instead just have a meeting with their manager and let him know my dissatisfaction. I'm like yea right, ill think about it. I give the service "middle man" a little advice next time he "promises" a customer to pick up a car when it was days off from being ready. Before i left we got the manager involved and hes going to get the GM rep involved to see if they can refund my 1100 on a new clutch i paid for a few months before. It would take a few days to get back to me. i said your little survey will be directly related to if i get my money back on the clutch. So, i left packed what i had left, drove up to my new place and sure enough, reverse is back grinding like mother just as bad as it was. What on earth do i do now? lemmon law? demand my money back plus new tranny? new car? lol any advice would be much appreciated!
Call 1-800-222-1020 to start a file with GM and to see if you can switch dealers. Making it clear that you have moved this may help.
z51vett
Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Your problem first started when the warranty was in effect and it is still not resolved. You need to talk to the higherups at GM and get them involved. Write down all the dates and servicing that was done to your car. Sounds like a new tranny is in order.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:28 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

If it were me....I would call Chevy Customer care and tell them what happened, they are Very concerned about their CPO Warranty Program, it sells a lot of car for them. Sounds like they jerked you around till the warranty expired. They will know of all the times you had the car in the shop and for how long. Tell them that if they cannot help you then you will be contacting an attorney. They f%#@(d you man don't let them get away with it.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Did I miss "CPO?" I don't see it.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

since you have access here, you have a computer and can type. Start yourself a word document. In it, list dates, complaints, work performed etc, but not opinions. Be sure ot put as much info in there as possible. This will help others understand the timeframe and scenario, and allow you to keep your calm. Review it a few times to make sure it is accurate.

Then call the dealer and ask to speak to the general manager or owner. Send him a copy as well as to yourself to document it. Give him a few hours ot read it, review it with service, and respond, perhaps overnight. Then call gm as suggested and open a case, and try to switch to another dealer. Hopefully you paid for the clutch on a credit card. Dispute the charge when the bill arrives and go from there.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It sounds like you had one of those warranties that most states require when used cars are sold by dealers. Most of those are issued by warranty companies that provide them to used car dealers.

Irrespective of having a warranty GM sends out Customer Surveys any time a car is serviced at a dealership.

Do you know why your car waited so long for any of the repairs to be performed? Most of the stuff you have talked about shouldn't take more than a day or two from the time parts are received and they should have let you drive the car home as soon as they decided they had to order parts (Any driver can work around gear grinding while driving any car while waiting for parts). It is very unusual for a dealership to tear a car down, order parts and leave the car on a lift or in a service bay until the parts come in. Lifts and service bays are where they and the mechanics make their money on a day to day basis and they don't want them tied up with cars waiting for parts.

It sounds like you were getting some fresh air and sunshine service and the car wasn't high on their priority list. The message may be they were telling you to take your business some place else.

Bill
Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Don_SA
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you use a credit card to pay them?

If you do not get satisfaction, can you chargeback?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 PM
vette4mud
Racer

Yes I used a credit card
I contacted them yesterday about an update, all they said was "sorry, you can bring it back if you can" at this point all I could say is, I think I'm going a different route. I'll contact them later in the week and see if the gm rep has any update. What I can't stand is this dealer will NOT call me with an update or anything, I always have to call them. Btw it's BEST CHEVROLET in Kenner, La

Get notified of new replies

To Need some advice on handeling my dealer

Old 02-26-2013, 03:26 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by vette4mud
Yes I used a credit card
I contacted them yesterday about an update, all they said was "sorry, you can bring it back if you can" at this point all I could say is, I think I'm going a different route. I'll contact them later in the week and see if the gm rep has any update. What I can't stand is this dealer will NOT call me with an update or anything, I always have to call them. Btw it's BEST CHEVROLET in Kenner, La
You bought this from a Chevy Dealer.....what warranty did they give you at the time of purchase? CPO any paperwork, warranty in writing?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:28 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by AORoads
Did I miss "CPO?" I don't see it.
I did not see it either. He bought the car from a chevy dealer I was just assuming CPO because I would not buy a car of this value any other way. Your right I assume other people think the way I do but....... that is not always so.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:16 PM
vette4mud
Racer

Originally Posted by ls1121
I did not see it either. He bought the car from a chevy dealer I was just assuming CPO because I would not buy a car of this value any other way. Your right I assume other people think the way I do but....... that is not always so.
It is not a CPO, was definitely overlooked at time of purchase and I am now regretting it. But they are upholding factory warranty until this is resolved. An option I do have is taking it to a dealer here in Jackson MS and get them to talk to my old dealer and tell them what's been going on but I absolutely want a GM rep involved I just haven't had the spare time lately.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on handeling my dealer