C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY Drone noise can not be filtered by using sound damping materials

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I am good now..
Thank you Corvette family.
Thanks to Brooklync5, DocIvy, and bdanyluk for major information, mufflers, over-axle-pipe, and H-pipes. I will install the system this weekend and maybe perform the 3/4 hole mod to deepen the sound.

THANKS AGAIN
Old 02-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brooklync5
Wow jack your posts get more annoying daily. You are the nuisance. This guy just bought the car and is having trouble with it. if you would have read his first few post regarding this issue you would have seen he didn't even know what he was dealing with until we (forum members) informed him that he had no mufflers. You are really something else man.

This guy is seriously nuts and just needs to go away. I'm all for having difference of opinion, but his become just repetitive and annoying. He's the typical neighboorhood codger that scorns any and all fun.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

OP, have you ever looked at a Corsa exhaust?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Pinky...
OP, have you ever looked at a Corsa exhaust?
No, I have not. Just purchase car 3 weeks ago, I wanted to get the car close to factory then upgrade from there. Spending major money on the car exhaust system without knowing the car's history would probably be a bad idea. I need to first make sure i don't need brakes, clutch pad, tune-up, harmic balance or timing belt.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 PM
California Don
Drivin' The Dream
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing you have an automatic and it droans at 15-1700 rpm. Been there done that. Changed the header to a Z06 and changed the muffler. Eliminated almost all of the droan. I tried all the sound deadening material and it did help with the road noise but not the exhaust.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedraider
The drone is the rear tub vibrating
The OP said he has added three layers of sound deadening material to the rear cabin (cargo compartment). That would have killed "rear tub" vibrating.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:45 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

This guy is seriously nuts and just needs to go away. I'm all for having difference of opinion, but his become just repetitive and annoying. He's the typical neighboorhood codger that scorns any and all fun.
Well, if you think drone is "fun" then I rest my case.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:54 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by brooklync5
Wow jack your posts get more annoying daily. You are the nuisance. This guy just bought the car and is having trouble with it. if you would have read his first few post regarding this issue you would have seen he didn't even know what he was dealing with until we (forum members) informed him that he had no mufflers. You are really something else man.
This from a guy who cuts in front of people waiting hours to get gasoline in an emergency, thinks he is cool, and brags about it on the Forum. Sorry "Sal", you might be cool in Brooklyn, but that's not saying much.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Reggied
No, I have not. Just purchase car 3 weeks ago, I wanted to get the car close to factory then upgrade from there. Spending major money on the car exhaust system without knowing the car's history would probably be a bad idea. I need to first make sure i don't need brakes, clutch pad, tune-up, harmic balance or timing belt.
Well, I can tell you with due certainty, you won't need a timing belt as LS motors use timing chains. Serp belt might be another story. How many miles do you have?

Anyway, let me give you the skinny on Corsa exhausts. The Sport setup is as quiet as stock just putzing around and on the highway, but when you kick her in the ***, she's nice and loud.

IMO, the stock exhaust is way too quiet for the car. You won't hear anything until you get on it and even then it won't be that loud.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Well, if you think drone is "fun" then I rest my case.
This isn't about drone. This is every single post you make about almost every single topic. You're beyond contributing constructive ideas, it's all the same, rehashed stuff, all the time, that the majority of us have by and large grown sick of.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:08 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

This isn't about drone. This is every single post you make about almost every single topic. You're beyond contributing constructive ideas, it's all the same, rehashed stuff, all the time, that the majority of us have by and large grown sick of.
Well "Pinky", this is certainly not the first time you have attacked me, and I doubt it will be the last. Outside of having the name "Pinky" you haven't revealed anything about yourself, which obviously makes you feel brave enough to attack others without regard to the consequences. I can assure you I have contributed many, many constructive ideas on this Forum, but at the same time I make it a practice never to encourage lawbreakers. If you don't like my statements simply ignore them, or be man enough to come out of the closet and state your name, rank and serial number.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Ozarkwoods
Racer

Pinky,
I have said this in another thread, ignore in user CP works wonders, if the word gets out he will be posting to himself..kinda like a forum shun. It like when a guy comes to a group, is so annoying that they see him coming and change the subject while at the same time turning their backs.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 PM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Here is what I know. Bought a 07 Z06 stock with Borla Stingers. They were loud, they had drone, they drove me crazy. So I read all the posts, and did the full dynamat treatment with 1/2 inch dense foam on top:

And the results. Not so much. Cut down on some road noise but did just about zero on the drone. With much research, riding in different C6's, I determined Corsa had the exhaust I wanted. And it didn't dissappoint. It has a nice rumble at idle, barks when you get on it, and is just so nice at cruise speed. My vote is Corsa
Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Cailebb
Intermediate

I had the B&B fusion with m2w. Going all open droned like crazy at 1900-2100rpm, which on a A6 GS was horrid. I even got the B&B x-pipe because i was told it would help things out some. It actually did, but what really happened was that it ended up louder, with a tad less drone, but still just didnt cut the mustard.

While it could be tolerated with the top off in the open air (great show off moments), it wouldn't go well with the ladies, or dudes if that is your preference. Sure they loved being in a vette. But when it was rocking their eardrums, you begin to question "should I just have stayed with stock?". going B&B fusion w/ m2w, while it sounded great on the outside opened or closed, it wasnt too pleasant for me on the inside.

Maybe others had different experiences or perhaps enjoyed the drone. I wished I would have kept my stock pipes because there were a few points where I would have made a bee line to get the B&B replaced.

Keep in mind this was from the experience of an A6. I understand the experience is different in a M
Old 02-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Rustysocket
Racer

Wonder if I should tint my tails?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 AM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Another Corsa story for you. Before my Z, I had a 07' with A6. Mods included Vortech super charger, cam, and headers, 530 whp. Added the Corsa Sports, and Bingo. Nice idle, barks when you step on it, and ZERO drone! Check e-bay, I found a brand set with a dent in one of the mufflers (under the car and cant' even see it) for $795.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I will try my best to bring as much science to this subject as I know from my experience with Audio. I work for Motorola and part of my background is audio and the effects of sound. I am not an Engineer but very close to being one based on my years in the Electrical Engineering field of design. I used portable audio test equipment in my car to measure the audio levels while cruising. The levels are posted somewhere in the forum under my Op's name. The high audio levels (db) at the low freqs (Hz) can not be completely dampened by mats and damping material that stick to the car's frame. The only thing can dampen freqs this low is a solid mass that is anchored to the ground. The car sits on rubber tires therefore this type of filtering /dampening can not be properly done. The entire car is resonating. The rear hatch glass surface just amplifies the effect within the car. I am only guessing but I believe Chevy is aware of this...that is why the OEM pipes are so quiet. Very loud low freqs exposure for a very long time is not good for you. 105db @ 50hz is loud as hell (Rock Concert loud with only sub-woofer bass and you sitting in front of the speakers)

This is not my first vette, I been a member since 2003. But I am a NEWBEE for the C6. I will do my best to be helpful to the C6 family because I will need your help to fully enjoy my C6. 2005, 88K miles. 6sp manual. w/nav (fully loaded)

Get notified of new replies

To MY Drone noise can not be filtered by using sound damping materials

Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dovervold
Another Corsa story for you. Before my Z, I had a 07' with A6. Mods included Vortech super charger, cam, and headers, 530 whp. Added the Corsa Sports, and Bingo. Nice idle, barks when you step on it, and ZERO drone! Check e-bay, I found a brand set with a dent in one of the mufflers (under the car and cant' even see it) for $795.
Thanks..
I will start checking ebay in the future..Might get lucky
Old 02-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

A Bruel&Kjaer type 2250 sound analyzer,Really?and I thought I was **** about stuff. Get the factory system back on.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
A Bruel&Kjaer type 2250 sound analyzer,Really?and I thought I was **** about stuff. Get the factory system back on.

That's me LoL!!!!!

It drives my wife crazy.

Quick Reply: MY Drone noise can not be filtered by using sound damping materials