C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

old style latches on removable roof

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:12 PM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Default old style latches on removable roof

im currently looking at a used clear roof panel from a 2005. Its in great shape but has the old style latches. What were the issues with these latches and how difficult is it to change over to the new style latches if need be.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:40 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I still have the old style and there are no issues that I can see. I think they switched to fix some rattle noises but that can easily be fixed on the old one's by using some O-rings on the pins. Those latches are VERY expensive at the dealer. If the top is a good price I would not pass it up just because it has the old style latches.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When GM originally "fixed" the old style latches, they simply glued the rollers in place, until they had the new latches available. They then replaced the rollers with solid formed pieces.

Neither of the two "fixes" resolved all of the popping/squeaking issues.

Swapping them out is easy - a single torx screw holds each one in place. All you do is unscrew them, remember the order the washers and plates fit in, and screw the new ones in.

But I wouldn't worry too much about the handles - you can affix the rollers yourself, or add e-clips over the rollers (documented in the top fix sticky). But it's unlikely that that would be the only cause of any top noise.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:09 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

The old latches have the old rollers that get flat then move from side to side and cause noise.
The 5/32" or 3/16" e-clip fixes the movement from side to side.
As others have noted, the rollers were and are not the only place that pops and squeaks happen. Keep the weatherstripping lubed, use O-rings and or dielectic grease on the posts to keep those noise free.
The back latch can also be tightened as well.

Here is a pic with the e-clip and old style latches, still in use with my car. My top is noise free

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Haven't had a problem with my 'old style' latches. Don't know the difference..

Get notified of new replies

To old style latches on removable roof

Quick Reply: old style latches on removable roof