C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dust magnet

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 05:49 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17
Default dust magnet

just finished washing my car here in pa. due to all the crap they put down in the roads from last friday's snow. beautiful 55 degree weather so i gave it a quick wash. ( never drive it in snow or rain ) after washing the car i took it for a little spin with the top off, first time ever. i'm guessing since the color is night race blue, it really seems to be kind of like a magnet for dust. the ride took all of five minutes and when i got back home it was very dusty already. what gives? i'm thinking, maybe i should have bought the silver color vette. am i going to be washing this car every time i take it out for a drive?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:01 PM
EricT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. I had a black C5, never again. You could get a California Duster, some detail spray and some MF towels. Just use the Duster very lightly and shake it out often.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:07 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I know where you are coming from. My black Z gets bathed once a week with blasts from the leaf blower in between. It does a nice job removing most of the dust in between washes. My highway dept. plow and spread dirt even at the sight of a flurry. Geez, you would think diesel iis .05/gal the way they waste fuel.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Grand Sport 13'
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my silver GS. I have never owned a black or dark colored vehicle.....too skeered!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:18 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately they have probably been treating your roads all winter long (dirt, salt, brine)and until spring rains clean them the residue dust is worse than ever. As much as I loved them, I've given up on dark colors.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:27 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait a little bit til the pollen gets flying. Which comes right after the rains wash the salt residue off the roads. It'll be summer before you can relax. But then the bugs come out and splatter all over the front of your car. October is usually not a bad time for keeping a car clean.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:31 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Originally Posted by chasboland
I know where you are coming from. My black Z gets bathed once a week with blasts from the leaf blower in between. It does a nice job removing most of the dust in between washes. My highway dept. plow and spread dirt even at the sight of a flurry. Geez, you would think diesel iis .05/gal the way they waste fuel.
You don't actually mean they spread dirt on roads where you live do you?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:38 PM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a black DD (4Runner) and it seemed when I used Turtle Ice spray deailer- I attracted more dust than when I switched to Blackfire ...

Old 03-10-2013, 06:38 PM
05Z51C6
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Some say silver is boring...not to me

Old 03-10-2013, 07:07 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dklowrider
You don't actually mean they spread dirt on roads where you live do you?
Dirt mixed with lots of small pebbles and a small amount of salt cover the roads in my development. The problem is they come down the street 2/3 times a day during a 24hr period, each time with spreader puking the awful mixture. So, when you go out to the main road through my development it's a total dust storm unless you go 5 mph.

Fortunately, my highway superintendent is a fellow vette owner who understands my spring time need to get the streets cleaned up early in April. Til then, our DD's are dust covered messes.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I enjoyed the 2 silver ones I had, for that very reason, didn't show dirt and dust as much as most other colors.

However, now that I'm back in my favorite color, I'm glad I'm only about 2 miles from a coin-operated car wash. Mine gets washed about once a week, for $1.25 each time.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:23 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by dklowrider
Wait a little bit til the pollen gets flying. Which comes right after the rains wash the salt residue off the roads. It'll be summer before you can relax. But then the bugs come out and splatter all over the front of your car. October is usually not a bad time for keeping a car clean.
Having that problem here in California. The pollen 'dust' looks like powdered mustard and really covers the car. BTW mine is silver and they may not show it as much as a dark car, but they get just as dusty.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:37 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Originally Posted by chasboland
Dirt mixed with lots of small pebbles and a small amount of salt cover the roads in my development. The problem is they come down the street 2/3 times a day during a 24hr period, each time with spreader puking the awful mixture. So, when you go out to the main road through my development it's a total dust storm unless you go 5 mph.

Fortunately, my highway superintendent is a fellow vette owner who understands my spring time need to get the streets cleaned up early in April. Til then, our DD's are dust covered messes.
That is the most horrible thing I've ever heard of. The main thing here is 1/4" crushed limestone, commonly called anti-skid, mixed with the salt to give a little traction. That's bad enough, but DIRT, I would never have believed.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:41 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Originally Posted by TerryL
Having that problem here in California. The pollen 'dust' looks like powdered mustard and really covers the car. BTW mine is silver and they may not show it as much as a dark car, but they get just as dusty.
Yep, that's the stuff. After a black Z28, black C5, and a lemans blue C6, I am enjoying my machine silver car. Sure, it still gets dusty, but you get a little time to breathe between cleanings.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:42 PM
23outlaw
Advanced

Originally Posted by billyboy47
just finished washing my car here in pa. due to all the crap they put down in the roads from last friday's snow. beautiful 55 degree weather so i gave it a quick wash. ( never drive it in snow or rain ) after washing the car i took it for a little spin with the top off, first time ever. i'm guessing since the color is night race blue, it really seems to be kind of like a magnet for dust. the ride took all of five minutes and when i got back home it was very dusty already. what gives? i'm thinking, maybe i should have bought the silver color vette. am i going to be washing this car every time i take it out for a drive?
Where in Pa are you from, anywhere near Doylestown?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:47 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Originally Posted by 05Z51C6
Some say silver is boring...not to me

I hear you on that one.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:51 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

You might find two interesting things to help control (not alleviate) dust on your car:

1. Consider using a detail spray with some anti-static ability. It does help to reduce some of the dust your car can grab, especially if the other sprays have oils or waxes in them. Finishkare 425 is a good and pretty darn cost effective too.

2. When you find that after a spirited romp with the car its a bit dusty but not really dirty. Consider using a rinseless wash product. Products like ONR (Optimum No Rinse) can help with a quick wipe down. They use lubricants and emulsifiers that break down dirt and dust differently and quickly. You can use it to mix up a bucket of wash, you can make a bottle of rinseless wash (just spritz and wipe), and you can even add to current wash when car is very dirty to help clean quicker and with better lubrication to avoid swirls and scratches.

www.autogeek.net

Get notified of new replies

To dust magnet

Old 03-11-2013, 03:15 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
I agree 100%. I had a silver 2012 and sometimes wonder if I should have gotten another. I also have a 2013 NRBM and it gets dusty VERY fast.

It was beautiful Saturday when I left upstate, PA to head to Lewisburg, PA to meet some friends, roughly 115 miles south. When I got there it didnt look bad but the next day I noticed it was VERY very dusty. In the sun it was sort of tough to see it but as I put it away last night I could see it was pretty bad.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:47 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Or don't worry about washing it every time dust gets on it and just enjoy it instead?
Old 03-11-2013, 03:53 PM
NoRuls
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I came down I 84 to I 81S in Pa. from Ct heading to Fl. Saturday and I'm lucky to have a front end left! Worst roads on the entire trip! BTW watch for radar in Va. $185 for doing 73 mph on the interstate!

Quick Reply: dust magnet