C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Handling & Central Florida Stealership Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Default Active Handling & Central Florida Stealership Service

Hi Folks,

Need some advice. I think I am at the point where I need a recommendation for which Stealership to take my C6 vert for repair.

Long story, so I will try to make it brief. Have an 09 and a few weeks ago I started getting the "Service Active Handling" and "Service Traction Control" on cold start only. I have done a through search so I have the background. I think I have bigger problems than described in those threads.

1. Car started out started getting the "Service Active Handling" and "Service Traction Control" on cold start only. It would go away on restart. No other symptoms. Car drove normally.

2. As time progressed, new symptoms started to occur. Car refused to shift higher than third gear when SAH/STC lite. All symptoms would might go away on restart, or might not. Also, the Service Engine Soon light would come on so I assume new codes are being triggered.

3. More time progressed. Dash gauges started to go crazy. Speedo and HUD would oscillate, or read zero. Fuel gauge might read empty and low fuel would come on. Other gauges would go to zero and then come back to life.

So, I tried the easy stuff first. I ordered the "comb" that the thread mentioned that was part of the TSB from GM. I took the hush panel off and found out that the car is probably not part of that TSB since the connector looks completely different than the ones shown in that thread and the comb would not fit at all.

Second, I know these cars are sensitive to a weak battery and since the battery was the original I thought it was worth getting tested. Battery tested ok, but said "recharge needed" which indicated to me it was probably on the way out. Install new battery, but the symptoms remain.

I think I could get the OBD2 reader from the local parts store to read the Service engine soon codes, but from reading the active handling threads those codes need a TECH2 computer to be dug out.

So I am at the point of taking this to a Stealership which is the last thing I would want to do. Because if I wanted someone to throw parts at it, I could do that. Plus the SAH/STC messages do not come up all the time so I need the Stealership to read the codes when it is lite up from what I read in those threads.

Any recommendations as to the best service department in Central Florida to use?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

I personally like Tom at Jon Hall Chevrolet in Daytona Beach, he is one of the sharpest techs I've known over the years.

I had similar issues with my 2008, to the point that GM bought it back, and Tom worked with the engineers at GM as it progressively got worse.

This may be too far away for you to travel though ......
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 AM
flashburn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't go to David Maus. Unless you want more problems going out than you had coming in.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have heard that the dealership on west colonial has the best corvette tech in the area
Old 03-25-2013, 09:01 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg
I personally like Tom at Jon Hall Chevrolet in Daytona Beach, he is one of the sharpest techs I've known over the years.
I agree, I have used Tom for years. He only works on Corvettes. Only problem is you are a hostage at the dealer unless you have a way home or live in the Daytona area, which I don't.

Reference your problem: I had the same issue you discussed in #2&3. Turned out the VCIM was the culprit. My problem was water had gotten into the right hand cubby hole in the trunk and shorted out the module which is located under the fiberglass insert in that storage area. You might consider having the module checked. Just a thought.

Last edited by Deftly; 03-25-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Voytek
Team Owner

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts

you'd get a lot more useful info in the regional section
Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 AM
corvette4689
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speedraider is correct, the tech at west colonial
Drive courtesy Chevrolet is very knowledgable
And if u ask to speak with him he will show
You what was wrong and what he did to fix it
Plus there pretty nice and fast. Just my op
From the harmonic balancer and roof recall
Old 03-25-2013, 09:16 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Not sure if you're near Orlando, but couple years ago, "lectricman" also posted a good review of Courtesy on West Colonial and said that Keith Cummings was the tech to go to and Tim Brown was the service advisor to speak with.

Also, altho Tampa's not central, "CPTAHAB" and "tampatopless" both recommended Stingray Chev. in Plant City, specifically a tech named Francisco. "tampa" mentioned moderator "pewter99" as knowing the area and techs as well.

Again, this may not be central enough, but "retiredmd" mentioned he got excellent service at *** in Bradenton.

BTW, please come back on and tell us what it turns out to be with your car. It'll provide some info for people to note.

Last edited by AORoads; 03-25-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Hi Folks,

Need some advice. I think I am at the point where I need a recommendation for which Stealership to take my C6 vert for repair.

Long story, so I will try to make it brief. Have an 09 and a few weeks ago I started getting the "Service Active Handling" and "Service Traction Control" on cold start only. I have done a through search so I have the background. I think I have bigger problems than described in those threads.

1. Car started out started getting the "Service Active Handling" and "Service Traction Control" on cold start only. It would go away on restart. No other symptoms. Car drove normally.

2. As time progressed, new symptoms started to occur. Car refused to shift higher than third gear when SAH/STC lite. All symptoms would might go away on restart, or might not. Also, the Service Engine Soon light would come on so I assume new codes are being triggered.

3. More time progressed. Dash gauges started to go crazy. Speedo and HUD would oscillate, or read zero. Fuel gauge might read empty and low fuel would come on. Other gauges would go to zero and then come back to life.

So, I tried the easy stuff first. I ordered the "comb" that the thread mentioned that was part of the TSB from GM. I took the hush panel off and found out that the car is probably not part of that TSB since the connector looks completely different than the ones shown in that thread and the comb would not fit at all.

Second, I know these cars are sensitive to a weak battery and since the battery was the original I thought it was worth getting tested. Battery tested ok, but said "recharge needed" which indicated to me it was probably on the way out. Install new battery, but the symptoms remain.

I think I could get the OBD2 reader from the local parts store to read the Service engine soon codes, but from reading the active handling threads those codes need a TECH2 computer to be dug out.

So I am at the point of taking this to a Stealership which is the last thing I would want to do. Because if I wanted someone to throw parts at it, I could do that. Plus the SAH/STC messages do not come up all the time so I need the Stealership to read the codes when it is lite up from what I read in those threads.

Any recommendations as to the best service department in Central Florida to use?
The highlighted comments are the key to your problem. Both the TC and AH functions of the ABS can request the ECM to reduce torque. If the ECM can't do that properly due to some sort of an engine or engine control problem that causes an engine DTC the ECM sends a message to the EBCM saying it can't do its job and and the EBCM sets a code saying the ECM can't do its job and displays the messages. As soon as you said you had a CEL that indicated to me you need to resolve the engine issue before you look at anything else. Most likely the other messages will go away when you get the engine issue resolved. Here is the FSM description of one of the conditions that can exist. Note in the highlighted section the DTC is only an advisory to the mechanic and doesn't indicate an issue in the ABS/TCS.

Unless your B2B warranty has expired this should be covered. If it has expired it may still be covered under the power train warranty but you will have to check. The problem could be in the throttle body, a bad spark plug wire or plug, etc.

As you have found out there is a lot of misleading direction on how to resolve a SAH message. I think the sticky at the top of the forum is the worst place to look for help.

Bill
Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I had similar issues and it wound up being the BCM....Good Luck!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 PM
ebf2k
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-14

+1 for corvette tech at Courtesy Chevy on west colonial. I've gone there several times with warranty issues with no hassles. They will treat you right. They have their own multi-bay garage just for vettes, ask for the tour. People bring every year of vette there and when some of the local shops get busy the farm out the work to this dealership.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Hurley1 on this forum will be your connection to contact about service advice at either StingrayChevy location. Matt is a great guy and will steer you in the right direction.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

^If you can make it to Stingray they are fantastic. They did my header install,
Old 03-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Keith at courtesy on west colonial.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Thanks for all the great feedback. At this point, I will send it over to Keith to work on. I will post results.

UGH! Now every time I ride the thing it won't throw the SAH/STC codes. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll have to keep trying it and drive it there when it shows or they won't find anything to fix. From reading the threads it does not retain the codes for these errors.

Last edited by Flame Red; 03-26-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

This car must be possessed.

I cannot get it to throw these codes now. I disconnected the new battery and removed to hush panel to examine that connector that goes into the steering column to see if the TSB "comb" will fit - totally different connector so the TSB does not apply. Put the connector and battery cable back and problem won't reoccur. I am not taking to a stealership unless the code is present.

She is really play with my head here...
Old 03-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

Hi Folks,

If I were you I would contact the President of the Corvette Club of Orlando and ask for a recommendation: http://www.corvettecluboforlando.com/contact_us

Get notified of new replies

To Active Handling & Central Florida Stealership Service

Old 03-27-2013, 03:14 PM
billsblue73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Folks,

This sounds similar to the problem I had with my 2008 about a year ago. It turned out to be a body control module (I think) and some other electronic modules. I took it to Keith at Courtesy on West Colonial in Orlando. If he is not the best Corvette tech around he is pretty close to the top. You will probably need to call and make an appointmemt, he is always booked. I take both my 2008 and 1973 to him and have always been very pleased with the service.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Update: For one month the problem has not reoccured - like I said - she is possessed!

Well this morning it did reoccur, but since I am working nights I took it right over to Keith @ Courtesy and he was going to look at it before they shut the engine off and the problem disappears for another month!

Waiting for a call back with the verdict. I pulled the codes from the engine before taking it in and there was one for the tranny and one that indicated the GM high speed BUS was shutdown.

I'm thinking it is a intermittent bad BCM myself.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM
richie15
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Steve at Maher in St.Pete has been my guy since day one and always does a good job.

Quick Reply: Active Handling & Central Florida Stealership Service