C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping the fuel tank above half????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Delbert
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Keeping the fuel tank above half????

When my C4 would get close to half a tank of gas, I would make it a point to fill up. The pump is submerged in the tank and is cooled by the fuel within. Continually running a tank close to empty would allow the pump to heat up and thereby decrease it's longevity.

Now comes the C6 with two tanks!! What is the current concensus about maintaining fuel in the tank? Since I purchased my
C6, I've never allowed the guage to drop to half a tank........this situation as caused me to wonder......is the driver's side tank filled with old stale fuel since the passenger side tank is emptied first????
Old 03-26-2013, 02:39 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Delbert
When my C4 would get close to half a tank of gas, I would make it a point to fill up. The pump is submerged in the tank and is cooled by the fuel within. Continually running a tank close to empty would allow the pump to heat up and thereby decrease it's longevity.

Now comes the C6 with two tanks!! What is the current concensus about maintaining fuel in the tank? Since I purchased my
C6, I've never allowed the guage to drop to half a tank........this situation as caused me to wonder......is the driver's side tank filled with old stale fuel since the passenger side tank is emptied first????

I unfortunately can not tell you how each of the 2 tanks are emptied or if maintaining a half fill is causing stale gas to develop - perhaps others with more expertise will jump in. I would however think it wise to run the tanks to near empty with some frequency, to exercise the float system 'all the way' together with the gauge.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Well I have read everyone should fill at half and in the early morning or late night to save gas. It was to do with vapors ,and never fill up when a tanker is dropping a load of fuel,it stirs up trash on the bottom and any water that may be there.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:46 PM
NY Chief
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would think there would be some kind of crossover between the two like on the old Harley split tanks. Also not draining at the same rate would skew weight bias. I remember reading about development of a formula car (old Jackie Stewart Tyrell?) where they all kinds of fuel sloshing issues throwing the balance of the car off.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:05 PM
peahead
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank Half Empty

The dealer told me to keep my 2012 GS tank no less than half full at all time.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:07 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by peahead

But did they say why ????
Old 03-26-2013, 04:14 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

I think overall it would be beneficial to keep, at least, a half full tank. No "scientific" reason, though.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Well... I know I can go 450 miles before the light comes on and it says I can go sixty more...

Is that bad?

Oh yeah... This is an internet forum and everyone on the internet has a different opinion.
Nevermind, I will continue to get gas whenever I feel I need it, it is just my daily driver.
Pump life?

Maybe we should just not drive the cars at all.
What if the fuel pump fuse blows and we can never, I mean ever get back home. Like Never.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:18 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

On my trips to the keys, I get it down to 1/8 of a tank before I get to Key Largo (435 miles) to refuel. I don't see a problem doing this. If it's winter and cold (Not me, I live in Jacksonville) I'd keep it above 1/4 to fight water condensation in the tanks but only for that reason. The pump is in a bucket. I doubt it will be running in the air until your engine quits after you run out of gas.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 03-26-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:20 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
Well... I know I can go 450 miles before the light comes on and it says I can go sixty more...

Is that bad?

Oh yeah... This is an internet forum and everyone on the internet has a different opinion.
Nevermind, I will continue to get gas whenever I feel I need it, it is just my daily driver.
Pump life?

Maybe we should just not drive the cars at all.
What if the fuel pump fuse blows and we can never, I mean ever get back home. Like Never.

OK - a bit of cynicism and drama enter the discussion.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:24 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Naw... He's just grumpy 'cause he's freezing his *** off up there!

Elmer
Old 03-26-2013, 04:24 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I just put gas in when the fuel indicator is pointed to the E! I can't imagine anything settling in the tank that won't be sloshed up at the next stop light whether the tank is full or empty. Even at full throttle is the fuel pump working that hard that it would overheat?....doesn't seem right to me. But then again, I'm open to some differing opinions that make sense!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:25 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
I could not help it.
I am still deciding if I should go with the Run flats or regular tires.
Then there is the oil decission.
Not to mention should I Zaino or just wash, clay, wash, regular wax.

This car is so hard to deal with all of the important issues.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:26 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
I just put gas in when the fuel indicator is pointed to the E! I can't imagine anything settling in the tank that won't be sloshed up at the next stop light whether the tank is full or empty. Even at full throttle is the fuel pump working that hard that it would overheat?....doesn't seem right to me. But then again, I'm open to some differing opinions that make sense!

In the LS1, Camaro and maybe the Vette, the pump would fry like a toad on a hot skillet if you ran out of gas. Some paranoia still runs around I guess?

Elmer
Old 03-26-2013, 04:35 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Have to say I never gave it much thought and still will not. When the tank gets low and I feel like stopping I put gas in it. Sometimes it is half empty, other times it is close to fumes.
Not an issue for me and do not believe it will have any impact on the car or fuel pump in any way.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:35 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
I could not help it.
I am still deciding if I should go with the Run flats or regular tires.
Then there is the oil decission.
Not to mention should I Zaino or just wash, clay, wash, regular wax.

This car is so hard to deal with all of the important issues.

Well then, Thank Gawd you have all of your brother forum members to guide and assist you through the maze of decisions. I'm certain that you can glean some experience and expertise here on nearly any topic - whether you request it or not.

I the meantime, IMHO, I believe you should go with the Run Flat Motor Oil with matching tires - and just wash and Zaino, using the clay bar only to fill in rust holes in your SMC and fiberglass . . . . you're welcome
Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by peahead
That was just fear mongering or perhaps a bit of obsessive compulsive thinking. Did he show you the service bulletin that backs up such dramatic advice? I doubt the GM engineers designed the system to self-destruct at less than a quarter tank (net).

Please give the engineers a little more credit than that "dealer" person did.

Get notified of new replies

To Keeping the fuel tank above half????

Old 03-26-2013, 04:38 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dvilin
Have to say I never gave it much thought and still will not. When the tank gets low and I feel like stopping I put gas in it. Sometimes it is half empty, other times it is close to fumes.
Not an issue for me and do not believe it will have any impact on the car or fuel pump in any way.

You just love to live on the ragged edge, you nonconformist rebel
Old 03-26-2013, 04:47 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat
That was just fear mongering or perhaps a bit of obsessive compulsive thinking. Did he show you the service bulletin that backs up such dramatic advice? I doubt the GM engineers designed the system to self-destruct at less than a quarter tank (net).

Please give the engineers a little more credit than that "dealer" person did.

"Good morning, Mr.Phelps. Your mission Jim, should you decide to accept it, is to maintain a minimum of half full fuel tanks in perpetuity. As always, should you or any of your I.M. Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. These fuel tanks will self-destruct in five seconds at less than a quarter tank. Good luck, Jim."
Old 03-26-2013, 05:20 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I don't know what best practice is, I just go to empty myself.

I can say with confidence however that if you do keep it to half a tank or more, you won't get any stale fuel in the drivers side tank. The process of filling would create a current in the tank and a mixture of the new and old gas would cross over to the passenger tank.

Quick Reply: Keeping the fuel tank above half????