C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it me, or are these GY run flats thin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 AM
twinarrow99
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Is it me, or are these GY run flats thin?

Dang it, another need for tire repair @ 2800 miles on my '12 GS - GY EMT's... Months ago, I picked up a small nail on driver rear tire at 1k miles, it was not very long - had it repaired. Tonight, at 2800 miles i noticed the passenger rear down a little on the DIC. Sure enough, got home and noticed a small screw, center of tread. I realize there is not much tread when new on these tires, but do you all think these tires are thinner than other GS tires available? Already planning on Michelin Pilot Super Sports when the time is ready. What are your experiences here?

Last edited by twinarrow99; 03-27-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

got my first puncture @ 3000 miles , so i did 200 better than you!

switched to Nitto Invo @ 5k and have made it another 4K with no more

not sure if its the brand or just Wide tires (probably both)

added.... 18k on truck , no punctures. 32K on second car, no punctures. 205K on neon (since sold) no punctures

Last edited by ChevyDave; 03-27-2013 at 12:42 AM. Reason: added
Old 03-27-2013, 06:06 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

I've driven 3 different brands of tires on my vettes from 2007 to present, and they are all nail and screw magnets.

Many of us here on the forum don't like the Goodyears for street tires, because they vary so much in traction between cold and warm temps.

It was sooooo refreshing this morning to be able to romp mine without spin worries, with 34 degree temps on the way to work. I have the Bridgestone Potenza run flats on mine.

But, even with them, I've had 2 flats in the past year, one front and one rear.

There's over 1,500 houses in my development, and they are building more, so it's the nature of the beast for me ..........
Old 03-27-2013, 06:13 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm constantly trying to watch the road for any debris,especially going into and out of driveways and intersections where stones and junk pile up and going over with soft rubber tires are more susceptible to picking something up. My truck tires are much harder than the GS. You can dig your fingernail into the GS tires but not the truck tires,as an example.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:59 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg
............... and they are all nail and screw magnets.....................
Sometimes you just get unlucky with punctures. Best to stay on the well traveled portions of the pavement and stay out of the "weeds" where screws and nails lurk.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

I have a 2012 GS and had three punctures in the first 4,000 miles. The tires come with a one-year replacement GY road hazard warranty that replaced all three tires at no charge. Most buyers and dealers are unaware of the warranty. The tread is thin to begin with and quite soft, but that's what we get for buying a car designed for racing.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 AM
twinarrow99
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default thanks all -

Thanks all for responding. I agree that these tires are for performance, and larger contact surface/soft rubber=potentially greater risk of puncture. Have been shocked even with the mild winters here in Texas how grip suffers with the slighest cold front...I also visually sweep the road when driving, and parking lot at work to avoid stuff. Was just wondering if anyone had seen <lesser> incidents by switching brands. Bridgestones look good, will have to see if Discount Tire can get me a price to compare against the pricey Michelins. Just trying to hold out until at least 10K!! I recall GY telling me that if you are within first 3/32" of treadwear, and within 1 yr, replacement is possible.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it me, or are these GY run flats thin?

Quick Reply: Is it me, or are these GY run flats thin?