C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle Shift, Shift Delay..08

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 03:18 PM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Paddle Shift, Shift Delay..08

I rarely drive my wife's 08, but recently I did and tried out the paddle shift. It seems like there is a big delay between actually hitting the shift button and the trans actually shifting. We bought it last year with around 4000 miles on it and she has about 7500 now.

Do these things normally have such a long delay? If you are on it hard in 1st and shift at 5000 it will hit the rev limiter before it shifts. Just seems useless to have if it doesn't work.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:21 PM
kthomas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my '09 vette for 3 years ... I never used my paddles just for that reason. I just recently received my COW tune and he adjusted the engine and transmission settings. My paddle shifters are a lot of fun now and are way smoother with his tune.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:26 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ends-soon.html
Old 03-28-2013, 03:38 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Another believer in the Cow tune, had mine for a year now and still smiling
Old 03-28-2013, 04:00 PM
trading tiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pugly
I rarely drive my wife's 08, but recently I did and tried out the paddle shift. It seems like there is a big delay between actually hitting the shift button and the trans actually shifting. We bought it last year with around 4000 miles on it and she has about 7500 now.

Do these things normally have such a long delay? If you are on it hard in 1st and shift at 5000 it will hit the rev limiter before it shifts. Just seems useless to have if it doesn't work.
***DING DING DING***

Yes, the paddles are useless in the auto trans vette, very disappointing. I was hoping to get an auto, but I just could not get over the fact that they were that bad/slow. I went with the manual and even though I'm tired of shifting gears, been driving nothing but manuals my whole life, it sure beats the alternative in the vette.

Folks swear that they get better with a tune, but I'm not spending that type of money on a car with a tranny that must be tuned just to seem even remotely usuable.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Depends on what you're using the paddles for. If it's flat out acceleration it's better to put the trans in S and let it shift itself. You can also use the paddle shifters to choose a gear for road racing, climbing hills, to keep the exhaust drone down, etc. I use mine when I do the BBORR because I don't want the trans doing anything I'm not expecting when I'm at 150+ mph. There are lots of reasons to use the paddle shifters, but pure hard acceleration isn't one of them, nor is simply driving around meekly, but then that's not what our cars are made for.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:59 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,912 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

LG's tune sure helped mine. But as stated above for max performance in a straight line acceleration S is best.

I have heard that GM improved the paddles in newer models, but the 06-08 suck when left stock.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:25 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

CoW tune!! get it.... problem solved. Period.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Non-mail order tune, even better.
Please don't hurt me for suggesting it. Heh
Old 03-28-2013, 05:37 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

How about the Diablo Intune...?? Anyone have experience with this?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Depends on what you're using the paddles for. If it's flat out acceleration it's better to put the trans in S and let it shift itself. You can also use the paddle shifters to choose a gear for road racing, climbing hills, to keep the exhaust drone down, etc. I use mine when I do the BBORR because I don't want the trans doing anything I'm not expecting when I'm at 150+ mph. There are lots of reasons to use the paddle shifters, but pure hard acceleration isn't one of them, nor is simply driving around meekly, but then that's not what our cars are made for.
leave it in S and just nail it and it'll shift instantly at Red Line through all the gears.
At least that's how my 09 works.
Rarely do it, but if I use the paddles for hard acceleration, it still shifts almost instantly.
I just don't wait until the Revs are almost at Red Line to push the paddle.
Push the paddle at 500 - 700 RPM below Red Line and it works great without hitting the Limiter
Old 03-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by trading tiger
***DING DING DING***

Yes, the paddles are useless in the auto trans vette, very disappointing. I was hoping to get an auto, but I just could not get over the fact that they were that bad/slow. I went with the manual and even though I'm tired of shifting gears, been driving nothing but manuals my whole life, it sure beats the alternative in the vette.
We've put 100k miles on a pair of A6 cars and the paddles work well when we use them. There IS a delay, but if you can't think ahead of your car by an extra second, then...
The regional autocross champs (man and woman) in our area a couple of years ago, won their championships using a stock A6 and cleaned up on a whole lot of stick shift people.

Originally Posted by Steve_R

Good explanation.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:35 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by Ferocious C6
Non-mail order tune, even better.
Please don't hurt me for suggesting it. Heh
That's OK. I did Cow tune, it solved the paddle-shiftand many other issues. Best part......Chuck sat right next to me with his computer, making programming adjustments as we drove approximately 60 miles (Bowling Green to the Tennessee lone, and.back). It was.a very good thing poop was ignoring vettes that weekend.

If you can get enough guys, Chuck will come to you.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

My 07, which seems to have far better [paddle shift] response than other A6s I've driven; has a second & half upshift delay .
I've gotten so used to it I don't think about it now.
However my downshifts are instantaneous when I want to accelerate particularly in highway situations. Car has incredible power.

There is a new shift table for the ECM that will help, offered later part of 08- I believe. So if you have a significant delay you can easily show it to the Tech at the dealership and they can reflash the ECM with the modified shifting points.

It made a noticeable difference with one of the other A6 drivers I associate with from time to time.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:54 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Dang! Does your wife know you're hammering her Corvette?

Tip: Normally, the automatic will upshift faster on its own than with the paddles, but the difference is minimal in Competitive Driving mode.

Tip: You can make the paddle shifters more responsive simply by disengaging Traction Control and Active Handling.

Just be careful... the nannies are there for a reason.

For more details see pgs 4-6 to 4-9 in this online version of your owner's manual: http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...08corvette.pdf

Common Scenario: When you suddenly floor the gas pedal, the engine seems to "die." Especially likely if you're also steering. Very unsettling. And it's normal behavior for a stock C6 auto... designed to help keep you out of trouble... also helps assure longer life for the drivetrain. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...blem-help.html

Bottom Line: Educate yourself... the Corvette is much more fun when you know how to use it.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:03 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thanks GUYS!

Thanks GUYS!

YES, we can fix t hat one up for you.

Call any time!

914-332-0049
Chuck CoW
Old 03-29-2013, 09:05 AM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Dang! Does your wife know you're hammering her Corvette?

Tip: Normally, the automatic will upshift faster on its own than with the paddles, but the difference is minimal in Competitive Driving mode.

Tip: You can make the paddle shifters more responsive simply by disengaging Traction Control and Active Handling.

Just be careful... the nannies are there for a reason.

For more details see pgs 4-6 to 4-9 in this online version of your owner's manual: http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...08corvette.pdf

Common Scenario: When you suddenly floor the gas pedal, the engine seems to "die." Especially likely if you're also steering. Very unsettling. And it's normal behavior for a stock C6 auto... designed to help keep you out of trouble... also helps assure longer life for the drivetrain. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...blem-help.html

Bottom Line: Educate yourself... the Corvette is much more fun when you know how to use it.
NO She doesn't know... Don't tell her. She will kick my ***.

No way she is going to let me start modding her car. I was just wondering.... In a pipe dream, I was thinking this car might be fun to hit the road course with, I don't really like auto's for going around a track, especially if you need to leave them in drive.

Get notified of new replies

To Paddle Shift, Shift Delay..08

Old 03-29-2013, 11:07 AM
g35206c6a6
Heel & Toe

With my cow tune I shift just past 6000 rpm and never hit the rev limiter.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RACE U
That's OK. I did Cow tune, it solved the paddle-shiftand many other issues. Best part......Chuck sat right next to me with his computer, making programming adjustments as we drove approximately 60 miles (Bowling Green to the Tennessee lone, and.back). It was.a very good thing poop was ignoring vettes that weekend.

If you can get enough guys, Chuck will come to you.
And how long did you have to wait to get said tune done? From wanting it to getting it done?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:51 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One main issue with the A6 is that it can't shift when the torque converter has locked up. When you've been in a gear for a few seconds and are meeting certain acceleration and speed criteria, the torque converter locks. When you paddle shift, the transmission has to unlock before it begins the shift. That takes extra time.

Once I understood this and learned to tell when it was locked, I was able to anticipate the shift speed much better, and now it's second nature. Even though it's not nearly as fast as a dual-clutch, that extra half-second is no big deal anywhere, even on a road course.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shift, Shift Delay..08