C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Door Opener - Do I have one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 05:41 PM
haberman13
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Garage Door Opener - Do I have one?

I have a 2008 1LT, the visor has 3 buttons with ONE LED.

The manual doesn't mention what this is, only a THREE LED version with instructions.

Does that mean I don't have a garage door opener in my visor? If not, why did they put the buttons + working LED up there?

If there is a garage door remote in the visor, why doesn't the manual mention a ONE LED version + instructions?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Does the LED have a image of a house? If so, you have the homelink and you are in luck. I have the newer Car2U one on my 2013 and it was a b*tch to get programed. I resorted to calling their customer support line. Homelink is supper easy to program. You should be able to go to Homelink's website and find the instructions specific for your car and garage door opener.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:49 PM
haberman13
Instructor

OK, I just figured this out.

It's a homelink in my Vette (ONE LED)
  1. Press outer two visor buttons simultaneously for 2 seconds
  2. Now hold down one of the buttons (the one you want to open the door), at the same time holding down your existing garage door opener remote next to the visor, until the LED on the visor blinks rapidly (now the visor is programmed)
  3. Now go to the garage door opener head unit and press the learn button
  4. Now back in the car repeatedly press the the button you held down until the garage door opens/closes
  5. Done

Last edited by haberman13; 03-29-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Only the 3LT 2008 Vettes have the Universal Home Remote.

1LT
Air Conditioning: Dual zone automatic climate control
Audio System:AM/FM stereo with CD player, MP3 playback with input jack
Automatic Twilight Sentinel headlamps
Brakes: Four wheel, antilock/four-wheel, disc.
Cabin Air Filtration
Engine: LS3 6.2L V8 with 430hp
Foglamps
Floormats
Active handling with traction control
HID Xenon lighting
Mirrors: Auto-dimming with compass
Power hatch pull-down
Remote Keyless Access with push button start
Seats: 6-way power driver seat and 2-way manual passenger
Steering: Power: Rack and pinion, speed-sensitive.
Steering: Tilt, Three-spoke leather-wrapped
Suspension: Four wheel, independent.
Theft-deterrent: Includes Push-Button Start, immobilizer and audible/visual alarm.
Transmission: Six-speed manual, short-throw
Tires: Goodyear F1 EMT (run flat) tires
Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Wheels: Five-split spoke, Silver-painted aluminum

2LT
Features shown below are in addition to, or in place of 1LT features:
Cargo Net: In rear compartment area
Luggage shade and parcel net
Seats: 6-way power driver seat and 6-way power passenger’
Seats: Sport front bucket with perforated leather seating surfaces, includes back angle adjustment and adjustable lumbar and side bolsters

3LT
Features shown below are in addition to, or in place of 2LT features:
Audio System: AM/FM stereo with six-disc in dash CD changer MP3 playback, seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control. Includes Bose premium seven-speaker system
Head-Up Display: With dot-matrix readouts for street mode, track mode with g-meter, vehicle speed, engine rpm and readings from key gauges including water temperature and oil pressure
Memory Package: Recalls two driver "presets" for six-way power seat, outside mirrors and telescoping steering column
Seats: Heated driver and front passenger
Steering Wheel: Power telescoping and mounted audio controls
Universal Home Remote: Includes garage door opener, 3-channel programmable, located on driver visor

4LT
Features shown below are in addition to, or in place of 3LT features:
Custom Leather Wrapped Interior
Specific Bias pattern center console trim plate
Old 03-29-2013, 05:50 PM
haberman13
Instructor

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

If you bought used the first owner installed the visor and wired it up.
z51vett
Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 PM
b09676
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In a previous post on this subject the poster mentioned the 3LT has a 6 CD changer. I was under the impressin that with a nav system there is only a single CD player. Am I correct?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:18 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by b09676
In a previous post on this subject the poster mentioned the 3LT has a 6 CD changer. I was under the impressin that with a nav system there is only a single CD player. Am I correct?
Yes. The nav head unit only takes 1 CD + the nav DVD.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:33 PM
bill1100
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trading my '06 3LT in on a new GS - how do I clear out the garage door code?

Last edited by bill1100; 04-02-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bill1100
I'm trading my '06 3LT in on a new GS - how do I clear out the garage door code?
When I sold my 05 I held the 2 outter buttons until it started blinking. I then held the button I used to open the garage door but I didn't have a signal for it to learn because I wasn't holding down a button on my remote. After it "learned" I hit that same button and the garage door did not open.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:51 PM
bill1100
Advanced

Originally Posted by Homer3D
When I sold my 05 I held the 2 outter buttons until it started blinking. I then held the button I used to open the garage door but I didn't have a signal for it to learn because I wasn't holding down a button on my remote. After it "learned" I hit that same button and the garage door did not open.
I thought it might be something like that. Thanks!!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:58 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Holding the two outside buttons, waiting for the blink and release deletes all codes. No need to push any other button.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Really don't mess with the factory automotive systems, nor the oem garage door opener sytems myself, as bypassed all of that with a smaller DEI rolling code system years ago. Fob transmitter is dinky, and sits in the cup holder. Figure it's more secure, and just lend the fob to friend when I'm not around. I find it the best way.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Really don't mess with the factory automotive systems, nor the oem garage door opener sytems myself, as bypassed all of that with a smaller DEI rolling code system years ago. Fob transmitter is dinky, and sits in the cup holder. Figure it's more secure, and just lend the fob to friend when I'm not around. I find it the best way.
Why would you think your hand held remote would be more secure than the Homelink? It all works on the exact same principle.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:08 PM
rodgerb
1st Gear

Default homelink blues

I replaced my homelink visor because of a damage mirror. I bought one on ebay. It looks the same. I installed the visor and started to program the Homelink as before (the other four cars I own all have Homelink). I pressed the 1 and 3 buttons got the flashing red lignts. I then tried the hand held transmitter install, however I only get a solid red lignt and no slow or rapid blinking red. I have tried it close (inches) OR FEET away. Nothing. The Chev dearership said it was bad and sold me another visor. Still won't program. Any suggestions. The Chev dealership can't offer any other suggestions. Homelink said call Johnson Control, Are you Kidding.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rodgerb
I replaced my homelink visor because of a damage mirror. I bought one on ebay. It looks the same. I installed the visor and started to program the Homelink as before (the other four cars I own all have Homelink). I pressed the 1 and 3 buttons got the flashing red lignts. I then tried the hand held transmitter install, however I only get a solid red lignt and no slow or rapid blinking red. I have tried it close (inches) OR FEET away. Nothing. The Chev dearership said it was bad and sold me another visor. Still won't program. Any suggestions. The Chev dealership can't offer any other suggestions. Homelink said call Johnson Control, Are you Kidding.
Are you sure you got a homelink one and not a car2u one? They program very different. The reason I ask is because you said lights, plural. The homelink visor only have 1 led light with a house symbol. The car2u visor has 3 led lights above each button.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Why would you think your hand held remote would be more secure than the Homelink? It all works on the exact same principle.
Simple. Different frequencies/codes than most systems, more difficult it is to gain access into your garage. Also nice to take the fob with you, into a rental car.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Door Opener - Do I have one?

Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener - Do I have one?