C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much carbon fiber?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:03 PM
zildjianz06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much carbon fiber?

Ok guys I'm in the final stages of a LOOOOOOONG winter project with the corvette. Its a Lemans Blue 2006 with a wide body on it and Im thinking about adding a ZR1 splitter and side skirts. I plan to hydrodip them on my own in carbon fiber....trying to save some money on the project at this point.

Anyways Im thinking I might as well hydrodip the rear bumper diffuser while Im at it. I've already dipped the door handles and fender/quarter vents. I'm thinking that everything would look off if I left the fender and quarter wheel opening moldings flat black like they currently are.

Does it seem like I'm going to over do the whole carbon fiber look at this point?

If I carbon fiber the skirts, splitter, and diffuser, should I also do the wheel opening moldings?

Does anyone have photos of their car with a carbon fiber rear diffuser and side skirts and front splitter??

Let me know your thoughts
Old 03-30-2013, 08:15 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

First off, hydro isn't real carbon fiber. In my opinion a little goes a long way. The purpose of real CF is to lighten things up to go fast. Other than for that purpose, its just posing. Just my 2cents since you asked.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:25 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure what you mean "fender and quarter wheel opening moldings"?

Are you talking about the rear brake ducts? If so, go ahead and do those. Stay away from doing anything with the splash guards as rocks will just tear into the hydrodip and they will look aweful. I have the sideskirts in hydro and the flap just in front of the rear wheel opening is already getting pretty beat up after no more than maybe 500 miles.

This would happen even with real carbon fiber. It's not the material, but the rocks flying up from the front tires. I need to get the wider Apsis from splash guards.

Last edited by Swiftrider08; 03-30-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 AM
keith954
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06, '13

I'm not a fan of hydrocarbon. I'd rather have something black than have it in hydrocarbon.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Every single time someone mentions hydrocarbon you get all the comments about how someone does not like it. Who the hell cares. Can't we help the guy out with his question? He is already doing the work and just wanted a little advice.

I like real carbon too, but not going to pay the price for a street car. Read too many times on here about people replacing high dollar real carbon front splitters and side sikirts time after time.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:56 AM
HOWSER
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Zap City
First off, hydro isn't real carbon fiber. In my opinion a little goes a long way. The purpose of real CF is to lighten things up to go fast. Other than for that purpose, its just posing. Just my 2cents since you asked.
Don't be ghetto, just say no.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:59 AM
newvetteguy9
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would have to be a fairly large tank to hydro dip the side skirts and rear diffuser.....
Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 AM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by zildjianz06
Ok guys I'm in the final stages of a LOOOOOOONG winter project with the corvette. Its a Lemans Blue 2006 with a wide body on it and Im thinking about adding a ZR1 splitter and side skirts. I plan to hydrodip them on my own in carbon fiber....trying to save some money on the project at this point.

Anyways Im thinking I might as well hydrodip the rear bumper diffuser while Im at it. I've already dipped the door handles and fender/quarter vents. I'm thinking that everything would look off if I left the fender and quarter wheel opening moldings flat black like they currently are.

Does it seem like I'm going to over do the whole carbon fiber look at this point?

If I carbon fiber the skirts, splitter, and diffuser, should I also do the wheel opening moldings?

Does anyone have photos of their car with a carbon fiber rear diffuser and side skirts and front splitter??

Let me know your thoughts
I have the real carbon diffuser, splitter and skirts on mine, not sure if that helps you, since you are looking for hydro examples, plus mine is a base body.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I don't think the OP ask for anyone's opinion on real carbon fiber compared to hydrocarbon, he was asking if what he was doing was just to much. I don't blame him for trying to save a little money. The front splitter and side skirts are expensive in CF and not easy to repair and after all we are talking street and looks, not a track car that need to save weight.

I am not sure either what you mean by the wheel opening moldings. I suggest that you install the splitter and side skits and see how they look if they are black already. After all the hydrocarbon and even real CF from a distance just looks black.

I personally think it will look fine, and again don't worry about the post that were telling you that they don't like hydrocarbon. After all it is your car your money. If they don't like it, let them buy you the real stuff, or else keep the opinions to themselves
Old 03-30-2013, 09:18 AM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zap City
I totally agree that the true purpose of real CF is to reduce weight while still providing the necessary strength and rigidity. That said, most every piece and part on our cars has had some sort of cosmetic enhancement to improve its looks. Paint, leather, chrome, etc. are all there to cover the raw materials that make the utilitarian parts. At least for me, the black plastic and fake aluminum (and yes, I know that is just another cosmetic application to plastic) plastic pieces look cheap and they benefit from some cosmetic enhancement like the addition of HC. Whenever it has been possible (availability and affordability considered) to get the real thing, I have done so in my replacement parts. But some items, like the fender grills and some interior pieces, are simply not available in the real stuff and, if you want to get rid of the black or silver plastic, HC is the only option. I am not a big fan of overlays or covers (e.g. brake fluid covers, coolant tank covers, etc.) as that certainly seems like adding weight strictly for cosmetics. But, bottom line, I understand that it is all very subjective and we should all do what we personally like best. And, to some extent, we are all "posers" simply by virtue of the fact that we own and drive corvettes on city streets. There's my 2 cents which doesn't leave me much left to buy more CF or HC.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:20 AM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
I don't think the OP ask for anyone's opinion on real carbon fiber compared to hydrocarbon, he was asking if what he was doing was just to much. I don't blame him for trying to save a little money. The front splitter and side skirts are expensive in CF and not easy to repair and after all we are talking street and looks, not a track car that need to save weight.

I am not sure either what you mean by the wheel opening moldings. I suggest that you install the splitter and side skits and see how they look if they are black already. After all the hydrocarbon and even real CF from a distance just looks black.

I personally think it will look fine, and again don't worry about the post that were telling you that they don't like hydrocarbon. After all it is your car your money. If they don't like it, let them buy you the real stuff, or else keep the opinions to themselves
I think what the OP wants to do will look great, as I have done the same with my car except with real carbon. I was not trying to tell him not to do hydro.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:31 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I just installed a carbon fiber diffuser on my car. Next week I will install my carbon fiber ZR1 splitter and side skirts. Hopefully I can get some photos of it all next weekend.

My car is Cyber Gray.

I know there are some more members who have done this (I have seen photos on here) so maybe someone will post some photos soon.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Binh360
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the hydrocarbon look on the interior. Did not like it at all. Trying to save money but in the end it cost much more to replace them with the real thing.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 AM
rsssguy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

This is what I have in Carbon Fiber on my Centennial GS vert Callaway.............rear diffuser, rear plate cover, rear splash guards, side skirts, rear brake duct inlets, door handles, front splash guards, Zr1 rear spoiler, (3) ZR1 front splitters after damaging the first 2. Front chin splitter for when I rip number 3 off. Fender badges, A pillars, d.s. piece at base of windshield, nose inlet, fuse box cover, engine caps, engine covers and hood scoop compliments of Callaway. I am obviously not doing anything for weight reduction. I just like the way it looks. Everything flows together on my car. I steered clear of side view mirrors because I think they look tacky. Just my opinion. My car is a carbon fiber theme that kind of got out of control but its with good taste. All I can say is I think it looks good on vettes, especially black ones. I say do it up. I don't have pics but they are coming soon. Thank goodness I took a pass on the carbon wheels just recently posted as available in May. With tires and sensors it was going to be about 17K. Waiting to see if there are any issues with those but I'm not ruling them out. I just love the wheels I already have. Good luck with your project, it sounds really nice.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 AM
mabryusmc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a bit of hydro dipping. Small items were easy but when it came to longer/ larger items ESPECIALLY the carbon fiber look. I found it very difficult to get the pattern to look good. You have to have a high quality sprayer to ensure you get a nice even coat of activator or one section of the film will receive mroe activator than another causing the carbon film to not lay in a nice orderly fashion similar to what you would see with real carbon fiber. You could very well have a better set up than I did though....

My alternate route was to use the Di-noc carbon fiber sticker vinyl stuff. Pretty easy to use and looks great. Other vette owners compliment me on it all the time. I know you didnt ask about options other than hydro dipping... but just thought I would throw it out there.

Either way... good luck and we all expect pics when done
Old 03-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,085 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Of course I would rather have real carbon fiber over a hydrocarbon piece, but some of it looks pretty good.

This hydrocarbon ZR1 rear spoiler for instance ... I really like it and am really thinking of replacing my body colored ZR1 rear spoiler for one of these:

From what I understand, this spoiler was done by American Hydrocarbon here in Florida.

(sorry for stealing this photo from the original owner)

Old 03-30-2013, 12:15 PM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Real Carbon has more depth to it but is brittle if you hit it and you will be out a lot of $$$

Get notified of new replies

To Too much carbon fiber?

Old 03-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Everyone has their own idea as to what looks good and it's difficult to visualize exactly how your car looks or will look. It's neither here nor there but I'm not especially enthused about exposed carbon fiber....faux carbon fiber even less. That being said it's your car and you have to decide what looks best. I would, however, keep in-mind you can overdo a good thing....sometimes less is more.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:26 PM
boost2na
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Stay away from doing anything with the splash guards as rocks will just tear into the hydrodip and they will look awful

Rocks will destroy them. Keep those stock and just shine them up with a detailer for black trim pieces.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:53 PM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Every single time someone mentions hydrocarbon you get all the comments about how someone does not like it. Who the hell cares. Can't we help the guy out with his question? He is already doing the work and just wanted a little advice.

I like real carbon too, but not going to pay the price for a street car. Read too many times on here about people replacing high dollar real carbon front splitters and side sikirts time after time.

right on...i much rather re wrap mine after a curb rash than cry about splitted CF spoilers...yeah they look great...just dont hit anything..

about the OP ?,,,what you want is a well balanced color scheme regardless what mtl you use. make it simple and make the viewer follow the lines and segments of the CF all around the car...so far on mine i got the fornt spoiler, side skirts, wdw A pillar, portion of the targa top and the rear window rails and the Z06 rear spoiler..then i followed it inside with dash and door trims...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by veloz; 03-30-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Too much carbon fiber?