C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD is giving problem, no image on windshield. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default HUD is giving problem, no image on windshield. Any ideas?

HUD has a problem with no image on the windshield. I have a 06 C6 A6 F55 Corvette.

Her is what possibly happened to the HUD. I just put new chrome wheels on the car with Discount Tire, they remounted tires on the wheels, installed ALL new tire sensors and balanced. I took the tires and wheels home and installed them on my Corvette. They stated that the sensors would most likely work and to bring them back if not. Well, the tire sensors all read -0- and would not read even after driving approximately 2+ miles.

Discount Tire technician tried to program the the sensors three times but could not get it to initalize. He got in the car and was pushing and pounding on ALL the buttons on both side of the steering wheel, ignition switch without any luck. He looked at their programing instructions three times and under different models of the same year, 2006. Finally, he got it to "beep" and then he got all 4 wheels reading correct pressure, 30 lb.

Now the fun begins, now all the HUD buttons cluster on the left side of the steering wheel does NOT work, nothing.
These procedures were tried:

1. The HUD fuse was checked and looked good (checked at home later with ohm meter and checked out good).
2. The battery was disconnected and reconnected about 4-5 minutes later, still NO HUD at Discount Tire.
3. I noticed that the HUD was moving up and down on the windshield when using the up and down buttons, the overhead shop lights showed the reflection moving up and down on my button commands.

Any ideas if this "pounding" on ALL the buttons may have confused the computers and possibly turned something off, etc?

They are taking the position that their might be something wrong with my car, sure, anything to pass the blame after all their "pounding".

I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Default I didn't see that you tried

There is a control for brightness, it may be turned all the way down? Other than that and the placement on your windshield that's all I got
Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

They broke the mirror loose from the bracket. I've read about it here that just hitting a pothole can do it. They owe you a new HUD.
BTW, all they would have needed to do is break the tire seal and stick the controller closer to the sensor to make it read. They (Discount Tite) had to do that with one of mine.

Last edited by EVRose; 04-02-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:35 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jim Barker
There is a control for brightness, it may be turned all the way down? Other than that and the placement on your windshield that's all I got
Thanks, yes, you are correct! I tried mode, page, up & down, and brightness. Nothing worked. I'm let it set for awhile and then try it again. I'll keep everyone posted on results.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:44 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EVRose
They broke the mirror loose from the bracket. I've read about it here that just hitting a pothole can do it. They owe you a new HUD.
BTW, all they would have needed to do is break the tire seal and stick the controller closer to the sensor to make it read. They (Discount Tite) had to do that with one of mine.
I just talked to a buddy of mine and he also brought up the broken mirror and the broken pivot. He is thinking of installing one in his 2013 C6 GS and using the GM OEM from GM Partshouse, I think that is correct for about $400? Thanks for your imput, I'll keep that controller idea closer to the sensor.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:55 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default Started working again!

After letting it set for a few hours the other night, I started up the car and I looked through the windshield and it was on, had a image on the mirror. I adjusted, tested, looking through the windshield and things appeared to be working. I took it for a drive for little over an hour, and it seemed to worked fine. Yesterday afternoon, again it worked fine. It seems like after all the tech's "pounding" and the battery disconnect and the setting for a couple of hours and then retrying. That the computers maybe were beginning to "talk" to each other and begin to work. Any explaination is probably as good as mine, yikes! So far so good, I plan to take out this afternoon.

Discount Tire called me from their claims office in Arizona and seemed to be real good listners and they suggested that the techs should take a copy of instructions to the car for programing the sensors. They seemed to understand what I told them, computer programing facts, etc. I came at them from an engineering standpoint, hard for them to disagree. No bs given to them, only from a scientific view, hard to dismiss. We'll have to see what happens in their stores, maybe they'll wake up store managers and techs! I'm not holding my breath. They asked me to watch my car and get back with them if any future problem.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:34 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
After letting it set for a few hours the other night, I started up the car and I looked through the windshield and it was on, had a image on the mirror. I adjusted, tested, looking through the windshield and things appeared to be working...
Did you use FOB #1 or #2?

If you've added a FOB #3 or #4 -- or reprogrammed an existing FOB using the Short Procedure -- they cannot access memory features... maybe that includes HUD functions too???

Just thinking out loud.

Glad your HUD is working.

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 04-05-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default Good point!

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Did you use FOB #1 or #2?

If you've added a FOB #3 or #4 -- or reprogrammed an existing FOB using the Short Procedure -- they cannot access memory features... maybe that includes HUD functions too???

Just thinking out loud.

Glad your HUD is working.
Good point! Unfortunately, FOB #1 was only used and really is the ONLY active FOB. FOB #2 is in my wife's dresser and is only gotten out and put in her purse when we go on cruises or vacation trips. FOB #3 is hidden inside of the car WITH BATTERY REMOVED - a trunk key is also hidden so that we can get back into the car in case a FOB and key is accidently lost. For example: We are at Jasper National Park in Canada, half way to the Artic Circle, AND NO car dealers within hundreds and hundreds of miles of the glaciers, snow, and mountains. At least we can now get out of there, hopefully, without freezing and trying to get car open and started. As you know, it is at times tough to get help in good old USA, think about Canada. Might be more polar bears there than dealers!

So, I don't think the FOB was the problem, BUT a very good point and you are correct.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:46 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Barker
There is a control for brightness, it may be turned all the way down?
Need to turn up the brightness on the technician, LOL.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:12 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default Cheers!

Originally Posted by ButWhatDoIKnow
Need to turn up the brightness on the technician, LOL.
Hey, you need to be the "Compliance Officier" at Discount Tire, I'll nominate and second you for the position! Let the hammer down on them and I'll vote for a "Bonus Every Year"!

Get notified of new replies

To HUD is giving problem, no image on windshield. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: HUD is giving problem, no image on windshield. Any ideas?