C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jacking the C6

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Peter_Reinhard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default jacking the C6

Hello
I've read the 2008 manual. They have very specific points where you can jack the car, making sure to span 2 cross members, etc.

Also, a few guys have posted some elaborate jacking systems. Pretty smart good stuff.

Bottom line:
Can I jack up the C6 from one point in the front, or back, and then add jack stands?

The owners manual shows very limited jack points. I was wondreing where I would put a jack stand after I jacked it up with my floor jack per the manual? I'm not that smart I guess.

Note: I have built some wooden "steps" as shown on this site, bringing the car up 4.5" in three steps. Great idea. Car is way too low for my floor jack.

Question 1: with a piece of wood on my floor jack, can I lift the entire rear of the car from the middle frame, just in front of the sway bar, and then add the floor jacks at the points shown in the owners manual?

Q2: How about the front? Can I lift safely from one point in the front?

thanks.
any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:44 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,573 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I use "Jacking pucks" that fit right into slots already in the frame. Have never had a problem using those
Old 04-05-2013, 11:08 PM
JJPonzini
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a cross beam adapter that is fit to my jack. Others may use a single jacking point or a hunk of wood with good results, but I follow the factory specified jacking points and will not trust my car to a hunk of wood. I had a customers frame break while on a lift and while I was under it. And it was on the lift properly. Scared the sh.. out of me. Why would you trust your car or your life to a piece of wood???
Old 04-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Truckie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not trust wood either..... but what I think he is asking , (And I have been wondering), If you use the jack points how do you then use a jack stand? I have seen pics on here with the car on jack stands... they don't look like they are placed at the jack points. Does the crossmember adapter let you put them anywhere on the adapter?

I bought 10" tall race ramps. but they won't do it if I want to pull both wheels....
Old 04-06-2013, 12:14 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

For complete details, see "Jack" on Bugman's website: http://www.bugmanweb.com/c6/c6index.html

Originally Posted by Peter_Reinhard
...Question 1: with a piece of wood on my floor jack, can I lift the entire rear of the car from the middle frame, just in front of the sway bar, and then add the floor jacks at the points shown in the owners manual?
Depending on the type of jack & contact pad, you might not need any wood.

Originally Posted by Peter_Reinhard
Q2: How about the front? Can I lift safely from one point in the front?

Or with a cheaper jack + wood planks under the tires...

Photos courtesy of Bugman's website.

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 04-06-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:39 AM
Jimailer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info thanks
Old 04-06-2013, 06:58 AM
Peter_Reinhard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, this is great info and great pictures. Thanks Jack.
The manual does not show the jack stand outer positions you used but it makes sense.
I might want to get me one of those race jacks too. And the pucks.
This makes me NEVER want to bring my car to someone who doesn't do this regularly.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I'm still struggling with this a full month after buying a new C6. I made the wood ramps as per other threads using sections of 2x8's cut about 36" and 24", but haven't tried them yet. My understanding is that these are designed only to get one end of the car up high enough to insert a floor jack.

The floor jack I've used for about 20 years is about 1" short of sliding under either the side or front of the car, so I bought a HF 2-ton low-profile jack (#68050) on sale recently, which will easily clear the sides and probably the front perhaps with some flexing of the air dam. It is very robust and weighs in at over 100 lbs.

I don't have a cross-beam adapter yet and am trying to figure out how to implement it if I did buy one. The old jack has a 1" stud on the saddle that fits in a 1" hole in the jack, and that will accommodate an adapter like those sold by Summit Racing. OTOH the new jack's saddle is held in by a 15/16" (approx.) threaded bolt, and I don't think the SR adapter will work with it, or if it does I would imagine the adapter would damage the threads in the jack.

If CO Lightfoot's center jacking points are okay I could see using that location to jack the car up and secure it with jack stands without buying a cross-beam adapter, then slip in the jack stands in the jacking locations specified by GM. I await discussion on this, as I need to get a secure and safe jacking strategy together on this car ASAP.

Last edited by iclick; 04-08-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:06 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

I use the points under the frame and use a rubber pad. No issues...same thing other guys with C6's that I know.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:30 PM
jumm
Instructor

iclick , I use the same jack u have with a hockey puck on it and jack up on the center like pics show. No problems
Old 04-06-2013, 11:56 PM
JJPonzini
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link to my jack and crossbeam. I use flat top jack stands onder the crossbeam. I did have a local welding shop fab the pin and sleeve. It all works together now. And is safe.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...cessories.html
Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jumm
iclick , I use the same jack u have with a hockey puck on it and jack up on the center like pics show. No problems
That would be the answer for me. Just drive up on the wooden ramps, jack it in the center with a puck, and place jack stands on the official jacking points. Now, I'll just need to find some hockey pucks, as there aren't many in locally LA. I checked Ebay and there are hundreds available, most of them with team logos, "collector" pucks, minis, etc. Where can plain, used pucks be puchased on-line for a good price?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:30 AM
jumm
Instructor

Search google hockeymonkey.com $1.50 ea. # 2 screw in eye bolt and make your own lifting pucks.

Last edited by jumm; 04-07-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:45 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jumm
Just tried it without pucks, using a plastic saddle pad instead, and it seemed to work fine. I don't think I'll need anything else, much less a cross-beam adapter, but I will get a couple of pucks and add the eye bolt to give me another alternative. I jacked from the center and put the jack stands in the factory-authorized positions on each side. I left the jack, stands, and ramps in place while I was under the car.

I wonder if it might be a good idea to use a section of 2x4 when jacking in the center to spread the pressure out a bit while protecting the cross-beam, too. I still think most of the pressure would be in the center, but it might help.

Last edited by iclick; 04-08-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:03 PM
blkgs
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by iclick
That would be the answer for me. Just drive up on the wooden ramps, jack it in the center with a puck, and place jack stands on the official jacking points. Now, I'll just need to find some hockey pucks, as there aren't many in locally LA. I checked Ebay and there are hundreds available, most of them with team logos, "collector" pucks, minis, etc. Where can plain, used pucks be puchased on-line for a good price?
No,no,no, you need NHL regulation pucks or nothing will work!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I change to track tires on my car several times a year. Someone gave me a single BMW lifting puck, and with that and a low profile floor jack, have them changed over in no time. Never thought about doing it any other way. No harm so far.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blkgs
Crap! I'm revealing my knowledge vacuum having lived in the South all my life. To us ice is what comes out of a refrigerator that you put in iced tea.

Last edited by iclick; 04-07-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To jacking the C6

Old 04-07-2013, 11:48 PM
Truckie
Instructor

Originally Posted by blkgs
seriously.... for us new owners... Is it a automotive tool called a puck? ( BMW PUCK) or are some of you using real hockey pucks?

and as for not being able to find hockey pucks in LA...??? really ??
go to where the FLYERS WEST... oh sorry ,I mean the Kings practice.
I think they won some sort of CUP thingy....
Old 04-08-2013, 01:00 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckie
seriously.... for us new owners... Is it a automotive tool called a puck? ( BMW PUCK) or are some of you using real hockey pucks?...
Yup, plain ol' hockey pucks will do the job.

Some folks also use an eyebolt to center the puck. Like this:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ck-thread.html

If your jack has a deep cup, make a double-decker:
http://97vette.com/howto/liftpads/index.html

Or you can buy ready-made versions:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...s-and-c6s.html

Or get the leave-in-place pucks:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ing-pucks.html
Old 04-08-2013, 01:34 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

did my lights today, drove the car up onto ramps and then put a piece of Oak 2" x 4" wood on my jack just before the oil pan and jacked it up, put the jack stands with hockey pucks under each side of the car in the right spots and went to work. Guy's this is really not that complicated. The 2 x 4 was Free and it works every time.

Quick Reply: jacking the C6