C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It’s not the Harmonic Balance...$800 later

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Default It’s not the Harmonic Balance...$800 later

It’s not the Harmonic Balance...$800 later.
This is a continuation from an earlier post
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...sure-what.html
I posted about a noise my 2005 Corvette makes. Based on my information we all assumed it was the Harmonic Balance. Took car to corvette repair shop and they also stated it was the Harmonic Balance. Therefore the following was changed:
a) Harmonic Balance (shop)
b) Idler tensioner (me)
c) 2 belts (me) first set
d) 2 belts (shop) second set, yes…belts changed twice in less than 30-days
The sound I keep hearing has not changed. It’s the same noise before any repairs and after all the repairs listed above. Recap: 2005 Corvette with 88K miles. I hear a weird squeal at 2K to 2.5K rpm in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th gear. If I maintain the engine rpms in the range listed above, the weird squeal sound remains the same. If I depress the clutch pedal, (disengage the clutch from engine) and maintain the rpms listed above, the sound goes away. If I take my foot off the clutch pedal (let engine connect to transmission) while maintaining the rpm listed above, the sound comes back. If I raise the rpms pass 3K the noise goes away. If the noise was related to the fan belts, pulleys, AC compressor, etc, the noise would always follow the rpms of the engine. The clutch position will have no effect. The noise is only present while car is in gear with the rpms between 2.5k to 3k.
I returned to shop and we test drove the vehicle. The guy said the sound is normal to corvettes. It’s something to do with the throw-out bearing. I want to make sure it’s not a hidden problem which a small amount of money today will prevent a large amount of money spend tomorrow. Have anyone heard a similar complaint or sound (earlier post), or how can I verify this sound is normal.
Sound: Weird squeal, squirrelee, small-vibrating, very hard to label this sound.

Went in with a squeal…..$800 harmonic Balance, $450 Radiator cage/support frame….$1,250 later Came out with new stuff and the same squeal…..priceless
Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey reg, i hope you get this worked out, i know it can be annoying, but it may help someone recognize the problem if you take a vid of the sound. Maybe it's a clutch issue or trans issue since it goes away when engaged.... good luck
Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,912 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I bet it is the diff. Mine does the same thing. I have heard it is a crap shoot to change it out. Might help but just as likely to not help.

Read where one cf member went through 3 to find a quiet one. Even then it might start squealing later. I just live with it.

mine is most noticable when diff is under a load but just barely. Like when trying to maintain a constant speed...30 or 75 for example.

Last edited by wayback; 04-10-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:46 AM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if it's the diff, maybe change the fluid to the fluid i've read about on here, or a better fluid? I don't know, just guessing....
Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wayback
I bet it is the diff. Mine does the same thing. I have heard it is a crap shoot to change it out. Might help but just as likely to not help.

Read where one cf member went through 3 to find a quiet one. Even then it might start squealing later. I just live with it.
I did change the diff fluids about 3 weeks ago just in case. Here is a question...If it's in the diff the problem should be speed related. My problem is linked to the engine rpms at any speed. As long as the clutch is enagaged to the engine.

Here is an earlier post from me regarding the diff.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...need-help.html

I will try to make a recording later today.

Last edited by Reggied; 04-10-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:01 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,912 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Reggied
I did change the diff fluids about 3 weeks ago just in case. Here is a question...If it's in the diff the problem should be speed related. My problem is linked to the engine rpms at any speed. As long as the clutch is enagaged to the engine.

Here is an earlier post from me regarding the diff.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...need-help.html

I will try to make a recording later today.
Seems my noise is different than yours. Mine is more noticable under light load and goes away when tran is in N. Sound might still be there under harder acceleration but my headers and Corsa Sports drown it out.

My shop said it was the diff pinion gear and not to worry about it. Most do it but it is more noticeable in a Vette cause you sit so close to it.

Sound goes away when load is removed from diff. and increases with engine rpm till it gets drowned out.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:06 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

See if it sounds anything like the video in here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...n-neutral.html
Old 04-10-2013, 12:26 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

When you you were testing with the clutch engaged and disengaged were the back tires off the ground so they could turn with the clutch out and transmission in gear.

If that was the case, then the squeal could be coming from the torque tube bearings (3 of them), transmission or diff.

If the car was on the ground, and the transmission was in neutral, my pick would be a bearing in the torque tube.

I have a 2005, and at about 120-130,000 miles one of these bearings was completely shot (nosiy and vibrating).
Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Jitsu
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I just fixed a squeek/noise underneath my car. Just want to point this out in case its something simple like it was in my case -

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...imple-fix.html
Old 04-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FireRoc
When you you were testing with the clutch engaged and disengaged were the back tires off the ground so they could turn with the clutch out and transmission in gear.

If that was the case, then the squeal could be coming from the torque tube bearings (3 of them), transmission or diff.

If the car was on the ground, and the transmission was in neutral, my pick would be a bearing in the torque tube.

I have a 2005, and at about 120-130,000 miles one of these bearings was completely shot (nosiy and vibrating).
Nope ...car is on the street/highway.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I listened again to detect the noise. Enclosed is a quick recording of the sound. This time it’s not as loud as before. I cut a small sound bite from the actual recording and looped it to capture the chirping sound. It’s more like a bird chirping sound. I can also feel the sound by holding the gear shift ****.
All my testing has been on the street/highway. The rear tires are always in contact with the street.
Listen very closely and you can hear the chirping sound. Most of the time it’s much louder. I will try again after work for a better recording. Tell me if you can hear it.
Attached Files
File Type: wav
Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM
JPJR
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

One day last year I started up my 2006, and I noticed a chirp.
Like a squeaky belt.
Uh oh.
It only got worse.
I thought for sure it was my HB.
So, had a local speed shop replace it.
$700 later, I drive it out and the noise hasn't changed!
WTF?!
I immediately drove back.
Took the tech for a ride.
He said it's an exhaust leak.

My aftermarket headers were leaking.
The paper gasket had degraded, and the squeaking was caused by the same thing as blowing through a blade of grass held between your fingers.

They quickly replaced the gasket on the side that was leaking.
I asked about the other side, and they said it was fine.
Well...
only a few months later I heard the same sound.
The other side had given out.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JPJR
One day last year I started up my 2006, and I noticed a chirp.
Like a squeaky belt.
Uh oh.
It only got worse.
I thought for sure it was my HB.
So, had a local speed shop replace it.
$700 later, I drive it out and the noise hasn't changed!
WTF?!
I immediately drove back.
Took the tech for a ride.
He said it's an exhaust leak.

My aftermarket headers were leaking.
The paper gasket had degraded, and the squeaking was caused by the same thing as blowing through a blade of grass held between your fingers.

They quickly replaced the gasket on the side that was leaking.
I asked about the other side, and they said it was fine.
Well...
only a few months later I heard the same sound.
The other side had given out.
Keep in mind my chirping sound is linked to rpm and clutch/engaged together. Your problem should be linked to rpm only.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:10 PM
JPJR
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggied
Keep in mind my chirping sound is linked to rpm and clutch/engaged together. Your problem should be linked to rpm only.
Yup, mine was RPM only.
I hope you get it figured out.

I know how it feels to pop for an expensive new HB, and it didn't solve anything.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Slammedc5..
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to tell from the sound clip. Sounds like a click. Only guesses, but clutch or torque tube issue
Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

simple solution,trade the car for a new 1.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:05 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

I have had a noise from sometime that is both rpm and clutch engagement sensitive. It is not a squeal or squeak though. Traced it to the throw out bearing. Mostly noticeable when car completely warmed up and present in any gear. Goes away with disengagement. Had for a year with no real change in noise level so I just turn up the tunes and open the exhaust up.

Get notified of new replies

To It’s not the Harmonic Balance...$800 later

Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 PM
king off the hill
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Torque tubes

That is it the bering mine went too. Big job cost me two grand but smooth now 2005 . Harmonic done on mine three times.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Reggied
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Slammedc5..
Hard to tell from the sound clip. Sounds like a click. Only guesses, but clutch or torque tube issue
Sorry its my recording..the click sound is the replay point in the recording. I will need to get a better recording. IT really a bird chirping sound.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:57 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Wait, so you have an 8 year old Chevy with 88K miles and you get the sound of a small bird chirping when the clutch is engaged and it only happens within a 500 RPM range? And this surprises you? Simple fix...Turn up the stereo J/K

I guess I'm too old as I remember Chevy's would basically fall apart after about 65k miles. 88k with only a chirp? Yea, thinking I would not lose any sleep over that.

What really sucks is having shops replace parts that are not needed. Did you mention that you thought it was the balancer? Just wondering how they would even suspect that as it probably was not bad.

Seriously, I hope you find your issue.

Quick Reply: It’s not the Harmonic Balance...$800 later