C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike rack on roof?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:51 PM
richietables
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bike rack on roof?

I do a lot of sporting events. Anybody have ideas about a bike rack on the coupe? I have a Yakima roof rack that I used on my old Honda CRX for years to get to triathlons, etc. Is this crazy since the targe top is removable?

Go easy now, I've only had the car for a week...
Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

There was a post some time back that someone made a bike rack for their C6 Coupe that was mounted on top. If I recall, it did some damage to the top. However, do a thread search b/c if I remember, someone posted a bike rack that mounted in the rear. Oh, and dont worry about whatever people say about wanting one.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:12 PM
chiromed0
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's one bike I'd pop the wheels and lay it in the back and cover it. Not sure if they make racks for it but putting a rack on fiberglass...I personally don't like the idea and I worked in a bike shop for 8 years. Plenty of racks that catch the top of the hatch and rest on the glass and hatch or a trunk rack. It still all kind of worries me with it being fiberglass but gotta do what ya gotta do.

It if were me I'd invest in some creativity and design a hard steel rack that can fasten underneath by existing bolted structure and top strap to the hatch top side. Then fasten a bike rack arm to the structure. Bikes are only 20-40lbs so it could be made out of aluminum and tig welded. Just take a look at it.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Deceptikon
Racer

I would get any good bike rack and an extra targa top. Bolt the rack directly onto the targa and don't drive too fast
Old 04-12-2013, 08:12 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I'd love to have a roof rack available for a C6...anybody got any pics or chops?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 PM
rsssguy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by richietables
I do a lot of sporting events. Anybody have ideas about a bike rack on the coupe? I have a Yakima roof rack that I used on my old Honda CRX for years to get to triathlons, etc. Is this crazy since the targe top is removable?

Go easy now, I've only had the car for a week...
My Cannondale gets mounted to a gmc. I don't even allow bottled water in my Vette. I've never seen a vette with a bike rack. I've seen a couple with a hitch and that would be my suggestion. Not sure of mounting on top.......my guess is some damage from the straps. Not sure mine would fit in the trunk, even with wheels off. Doesn't matter, I would never put it in there after a good ride anyway. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:23 PM
jeff5755
Intermediate

Yup, put a hitch on and do a hitch mount rack.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

My plan is to mount a trailer hitch. They make all sorts of racks that attach to recievers.

Robin
Old 04-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Might be easier to find a bike that will brake down far enough to fit under the rear deck lid?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 PM
richietables
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. I got a Weather Tech cargo mat and I'll see if bike bike fits in the back with the wheels off or not.

As for not having even a water bottle in the car, I'm gonna drive this thing everywhere and I don't mind cleaning it...

Get notified of new replies

To Bike rack on roof?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bike rack on roof?