C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking Up a C6

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:41 AM
k_arnold
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Jacking Up a C6

Hi All,

Great forum here.

I want to install a set of Hawk ceramic pads soon and my floor jack is too tall to fit under the nose of the car or even from the side. I see there are locations on the sills to install or place pucks to jack up the car.

I just bought a set of four pucks to place where the blue dots are on the above diagram.

My question is: if I lift at just one point at a time with the floor jack at the puck location, is there really a risk of damaging the frame? In a search one person said the frame will twist, but I cannot believe a car as stiff as a Vette could or would do this. I've jacked up cars like this for years without any issue.

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have used the pucks too same spots with a floor jack, didn't notice any problems.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:47 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I jack it up under the frame in between the front and rear jack point with pucks installed and lower it down on 2 jack stands at the same time.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:57 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by k_arnold
My question is: if I lift at just one point at a time with the floor jack at the puck location, is there really a risk of damaging the frame? In a search one person said the frame will twist, but I cannot believe a car as stiff as a Vette could or would do this. I've jacked up cars like this for years without any issue.

Thanks for your input.
No.

Twisting frames, the recommendation to open doors and hood when jacking......all ended with the C4's.

C5's and C6's are in a different league. The frames are strong by themselves.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

You'll be fine lifting at the specified locations. People on here do it all the time especially at the track.

It would be nice if someone would make a video of jacking the C6 at different locations and inserting jack stands. A lot of us first time owners are nervous about doing damage and the proper way to do things.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:15 PM
k_arnold
Racer

Originally Posted by SmokinZ51
It would be nice if someone would make a video of jacking the C6 at different locations and inserting jack stands.

Good idea, I may do that!

Thanks everyone for their input. This saves me from buying a new floor jack (for now....)
Old 04-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Weely
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've wondered about this too.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Ol Slagito
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too!

Originally Posted by Weely
I've wondered about this too.

Oil life is at 94% I'm running out of tiiiimmmmmeee!!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:50 PM
vindicator
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems to me. store bought or even home made ramps would be easier, and safer for the car and owner? I haven t been under my C6 yet, but I thinking of whats safest???
Old 04-11-2013, 07:37 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

This is how I installed headers, believe me it was not going anywhere. used side points and went around and around putting more boards until i was 16 inches off the ground
Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 PM
CHBroker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmokinZ51
You'll be fine lifting at the specified locations. People on here do it all the time especially at the track.

It would be nice if someone would make a video of jacking the C6 at different locations and inserting jack stands. A lot of us first time owners are nervous about doing damage and the proper way to do things.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM
robertaj
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by k_arnold
Hi All,

Great forum here.

I want to install a set of Hawk ceramic pads soon and my floor jack is too tall to fit under the nose of the car or even from the side. I see there are locations on the sills to install or place pucks to jack up the car.

I just bought a set of four pucks to place where the blue dots are on the above diagram.

Thanks for your input.
Just drive up on a 2x4 or 2 and your jack will fit under the car lol.. don't over think it!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:02 AM
k_arnold
Racer

Originally Posted by robertaj
Just drive up on a 2x4 or 2 and your jack will fit under the car lol.. don't over think it!
You know I searched 2-3 hours reading about jacking up the C6 and I finally saw a thread somewhere that said the same thing. I felt really stupid after that. As an engineer, I can't believe I over-thought it that much! Thanks.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 AM
robertaj
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol happens to the best of us! (well not me but I assume everyone else lol)

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking Up a C6

Quick Reply: Jacking Up a C6