C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Driving observations/experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:40 PM
PSU_Vette
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
The 1521 compound can be Auto X and is a great daily driver pad, if you want more bite and can put up with dust and noise than the AX6 is the best for Auto X. Give me a call at 216-780-8825 I will be happy to talk with you.

The Carbotech™ 1521™ is our high performance street compound. The 1521™ compound is known for its release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. 1521™ is also a very low dusting and low noise compound with an excellent initial bite. This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Carbotech™ 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 800°F (426°C+). 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle or fleet vehicle. Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1100°F + (10°C to 593°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. AX6™ offers high fade resistance, rotor friendliness at all temperatures and excellent cold stopping power. As a result, AX6™ is an excellent choice for Autocross and has gained tremendous popularity with SCCA Prosolo/Solo2 competitors for its outstanding all around performance. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

1521 F&R $276 less 5%.

AX6 F&R $320 less 5%.
I recently ordered a set of XP10 (front) and XP8 (rear) pads from Adam and ran them on the Daytona Road Course. They worked extremely well with no fade, which is impressive considering it was my first HPDE. As with the others on here, I've only done one, but I'm hooked. Certainly a great time with great folks!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:45 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Hey Will

I got your PM. We walked around to try and find where you were parked, but you were hiding!!

It was great to meet you and your buddy and glad to hear you really had a good time!!

Bob
Old 04-17-2013, 01:50 AM
wase13
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand how they put such a crappy brakes on base vettes out of the factory? My buddies' Infiniti G37 has much better brakes than a base vette does.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:55 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wase13
I don't understand how they put such a crappy brakes on base vettes out of the factory? My buddies' Infiniti G37 has much better brakes than a base vette does.
Huh???????????????

I've been running the stock brakes on my (Z06) car since I got it 6 years ago - and they're FANTASTIC!!!!

Many really hardcore track hounds that have a C5 or base C6 (essentially the same brakes) that I run events with have the stock brakes, and they work great!!!

If you're talking about running them hard on the track, all you need is better fluid and pads and you're ready to go - the stock brakes will work great!!!

The stock rotors on the Z51 with the holes in them are for bling only. The holes are focus points for cracks to occur. But you can easily upgrade rotors.

Overall, for the street, we've got OUTSTANDING brakes on all models of the Vette!!

Bob
Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by BEZ06
:Confused:Huh???????????????

I've been running the stock brakes on my (Z06) car since I got it 6 years ago - and they're FANTASTIC!!!!

Many really hardcore track hounds that have a C5 or base C6 (essentially the same brakes) that I run events with have the stock brakes, and they work great!!!

If you're talking about running them hard on the track, all you need is better fluid and pads and you're ready to go - the stock brakes will work great!!!

The stock rotors on the Z51 with the holes in them are for bling only. The holes are focus points for cracks to occur. But you can easily upgrade rotors.

Overall, for the street, we've got OUTSTANDING brakes on all models of the Vette!!

Bob
Are you talking about the padlets? Whatever "engineer" designed the calipers to use those god forsaken padlets-I hope he got the crabs. I love the 6 piston caliper, but I got rid of the padlets the first time I hit the track.

Padlets indeed.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to see people taking their vette's out and "using" them for what they were intended for. I started the same way but with a C5Z and led me to sell the car since it was mostly stock for a caged, race prepped C5Z to finish my HPDE progression into wheel to wheel racing. I had an absolute blast doing it!

Nasa also has a great HPDE program and many regions around the nation. That's what I used to get into W2W racing. NARRA is another up and coming organization that is worth looking into as well. But like others have said, need to start looking into safety mods (harness, helmet, seat, etc.). Goodluck and have fun!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 AM
gvette98
Racer

Sounds like a blast thanks for all the advice
Old 04-17-2013, 10:34 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VatorMan
Are you talking about the padlets? Whatever "engineer" designed the calipers to use those god forsaken padlets-I hope he got the crabs. I love the 6 piston caliper, but I got rid of the padlets the first time I hit the track.

Padlets indeed.
I run whatever I can find a good deal on, and the padlets are a LOT cheaper.

The one-piece pads don't stop me any better than padlets do.

Last week at Daytona I had one-piece up front and padlets for the rear. I ran the fronts down to absolute min thickness, but got some new front one-piece last week for a great price. The rear padlets will last a few more track events.

I have no problems at all running either padlets or single pads - I find it a lot quicker and easier to pop in new padlets than a one piece, and I remove the caliper to replace either type. With padlets I can leave the spring in and just push the padlet down to compress the spring and pop the padlet in place. With one-piece, I usually need to remove the spring, then I find it a PITA when reinstalling it to get the little fingers over the pad and then up over the backing plate so the spring will slide all the way back in place. However, you can probably run the one-piece without the springs and won't have problems.

Here's a picture of my caliper with the one-piece installed that I ran last week. It is an early Carbotech XP12 that doesn't have the two center holes drilled, so I had to pull the center pad pin bolts in order to install the pad. You can see one of the new pads (also CT XP12) leaning against the wheel, and you can see it has the holes drilled in it so I can reinstall my 2 center pad pin bolts:

Bottom line - I run padlets or one-piece. I like 'em both!!!

Bob
Old 04-17-2013, 12:30 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

If you want to just run some high speeds, then running at Talladega each May, might be an option. 160+ is doable. vettes4vets.org
Old 04-17-2013, 02:24 PM
wase13
Racer

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Huh???????????????

Bob
I was talking about BASE vette!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 03:04 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wase13
I was talking about BASE vette!!!
Me too!!!

As I said in my post above:

I had a 2005 (all they made that year was a base) and the brakes were really good.

Like I also said in my post above:

Bob
Old 04-17-2013, 04:16 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Really easy to upgrade the base rotors to Z51's.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Really easy to upgrade the base rotors to Z51's.
Most track rats who have a Z51 ditch the larger rotors and go with base C6/C5 size.

There just aren't many options available in the larger Z51 size fitment.

The OE Z51 (and Z06) rotors with all those holes in them are no good for seriously tracking the car. The holes are purely for bling - and the holes are stress points where cracks develop.

So.....rather than "upgrade" to Z51 rotors, if you're going to do a lot of time on the track you'd do better to stick with base size rotors. If you're doing a lot of tracking of a Z51 you might rather go down to base C6/C5 size so your consumables are much easier to acquire.

Bob
Old 04-17-2013, 08:03 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

The Z51 rotors and brakes I had on my 08 Z51 worked quite well. I agree with the drilled rotor issue mentioned, but not with the idea of using base model rotors. To increase swept area, there are z51 sized rotors that are slotted or plain. I would try slotted but do recall a lot of race cars use plain.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:58 PM
Truckie
Instructor

Need to double check ...but think there is an auto-x event at the museum BASH event in BG. next week? and another for the Convention in June being held at Nashville Fairgrounds speedway... They just had one there and you are out on the track for most of it.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:45 PM
rwillitt
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

One additional observation on HPDE's, if you've never done it before, be VERY careful if it rains (even sprinkles a little). All that dirt and oil on the track makes if slippery quickly. I learned this the hard way at Sebring, cost me a new wheel and tires(which I was going to need anyway) after a wet corner and I couldn't slow down. to avoid hitting another car, went over the curb. Could have been worse.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:53 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I edited a couple previous posts that had info about the Dec HPDE at Daytona.

The event is co-sponsored by 2 track day organizing groups:

You can sign up for the event through either of those organizations.

I edited the info due to PDG taking over as a co-sponsor from the other group that was mentioned.

Bob
Old 06-19-2013, 02:51 AM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg
Another thought is, if you not willing to pull the trigger, or want to learn more, just about every one of the places will allow you to watch, take pictures, talk with the car owners, etc.

As BEZ06 knows, I've been a spectator to a few events around the Daytona area, and ONE DAY my day job will NOT conflict with track days, and I'll get mine out there to play some.

Finally, I can't say enough about driving schools too. I'm a MUCH smoother (and safer/faster/intelligent) driver since I attended the 3 day school at Spring Mountain. It was time and money well spent.

I grew up in the mountains of WV, so I had a lot of curvy road experience (both cycles and auto), now it makes sense about what worked and what didn't as a teenager

like we always say, start with the driver, then improve the car!

The Official Performance Driving School Of Corvette
www.racespringmountain.com
victor@racespringmountain.com
800-391-6891

Old 03-24-2017, 10:21 PM
13gsvette
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP: Your post was "Deja Vu" all over again. I was in the Novice/Instructor Group that day and had the same result. Did the Sebring Short Course and am going back to Daytona School Course early April. Took advantage of a Tire Rack Track Night in America event at Atlanta Motorsports Park after Daytona. Earlier experience made for a much enjoyed Atlanta. TRTNA: Recommend.

Quick Reply: Performance Driving observations/experience