C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventing Battery Terminal Corrosion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Rich Farr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Preventing Battery Terminal Corrosion?

What is the best way to keep them from corrosion? I replaced the battery last week and the black terminal cover fell off into the engine.

Thanks,

Rich
Old 04-14-2013, 08:37 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Farr
What is the best way to keep them from corrosion? I replaced the battery last week and the black terminal cover fell off into the engine.

Thanks,

Rich

Any Auto Parts store sells: spray-on and paint-on corrosion preventive liquids as well as coated felt pads that fit on the posts under terminals which absorb any leaking corrosion causing acid. Some folks prefer to use plain ole Vaseline of their battery posts and cable ends - other buy 'battery terminal grease' to do the job.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:38 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Use those little round cushions that fit over the terminals and use that red spray stuff thats supposed to prevent corrosion.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

There are several products that are available from your local auto parts store. The most common is a felt ring that goes between the battery post and the terminal. There are also sprays and lubricants that are frequently used. You can also just use any grease and coat the terminal so the air doesn't get to it. You have most likely seen people pour Coke over the terminals to eat the corrosion off, I would not recommend this method. Just go the your local auto parts store and see what the recommend.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Rich Farr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Thanks For Info!

I used vaseline, but was not sure if this was still acceptable. The vaseline prevented charger from fully charging battery. Wiped off and charged successfully.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:45 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Have not had any problem with battery corrosion on original 2005 battery. It does have rubber covers over both terminals. In other car I notice whenever I use any of the above methods mentioned here there is a tendency to attract more dust and dirt to battery terminals.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:50 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

After I cleaned the terminals with a wire brush to remove the corrosion I applied a liberal coating of dielectric grease to both sides of the terminals and have not seen a recurrence of the corrosion.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:50 AM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rich Farr

Thanks,

Rich
A little white vinegar and baking soda and borrow someone else's toothbrush (they proabably won't notice).
Old 04-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
After I cleaned the terminals with a wire brush to remove the corrosion I applied a liberal coating of dielectric grease to both sides of the terminals and have not seen a recurrence of the corrosion.

No corrosion when the car was new, and dielectric silicone grease has kept it good for 4+ years/55k + miles. I reapply once per year or after installing a new battery.

Get notified of new replies

To Preventing Battery Terminal Corrosion?

Quick Reply: Preventing Battery Terminal Corrosion?