C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does any vendor modify stock seats for 5/6pt. harness?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Default Does any vendor modify stock seats for 5/6pt. harness?

I am wondering if any of the vendors sell modified stock seats with grommets (and sub belt hole) to make them work with 5/ pt. racing harness? I know about Caravaggio seats, but the price is way above my budget. I would also love to see if a vendor sells these without having to modify my original seats.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Just FYI, make sure whoever the organization you run with will allow it.

Here's an excerpt from the SCCA rulebook:

Section 13.2 H:

Driver restraints as outlined in Section 3.3.1 are allowed. Seats may not be cut to allow for the installation of alternate seat belts or harnesses. Passive restraint systems may not be removed. A horizontal "harrness bar" may be used as part of the installation hardware for allowed driver restraints. It may serve no other purpose (e.g., structural enhancement).

And from PCA event requirements:

Equal Restraints: Both student and instructor shall have the same restraint system. All vehicles must be equipped with a properly installed lap and shoulder restraint system.

Harness Systems: If the participant chooses to install a 5- or 6-point driving harness several changes to the automobile must be made to create a safe occupant restraint system. Harnesses must include a antisubmarine strap and be mounted in an approved manner consistent the manufacturer’s instructions. The Harness system must be used in conjunction with a seat which has the supplied routing holes for the shoulder and antisubmarine belts. All pieces of the restraint system must be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. This means that a seat is required to have the proper routing holes for the harness as supplied by the seat manufacturer for the shoulder and anti-submarine straps. The shoulder straps should be mounted at 90 degrees to the axis of your spine or at most 40 degrees down from horizontal. Because the addition of the harness system means that the occupants are fastened upright in the vehicle, a properly padded roll bar or roll cage is strongly encouraged to complete the SYSTEM. The use of one without the other may result in an unsafe environment and is not a COMPLETE SYSTEM.
Note the recommendation for a rollbar or cage if using a harness system.

Many track day organizers follow PCA/SCCA/BMW requirements, and many will only allow seats that are manufactured with pass through holes in them, and won't allow modified seats.

It's all about legal liability these days!!!

Bob
Old 04-15-2013, 10:26 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

BTW, I was reall happy to see that the C7 seats have harness pass-through holes.

Butt.....take a look at this video - scroll out to about 9:15 to see the holes in relation to Jay's shoulders:

You can see that the angle the harness would take going through those holes and up over your shoulders is not a safe and acceptable routing. Take a look at this Schroth site with harness mounting instructions:

http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2...structions.pdf

Simpson and other harness manufacturers have similar installation instructions that require the harness to go over your shoulders at a shallow angle.

Just FYI!!

Bob
Old 04-15-2013, 01:00 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

If you need it for NHRA/IHRA you can do (or have done locally) a seat mod that retains the stock appearance when removed.

Wayne O had this done and I copied it from him. You can avoid having to cut slots in the back cover by just unzipping it each time you need the belts in place. When it's zipped nothing shows.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:49 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Just FYI, make sure whoever the organization you run with will allow it.

Here's an excerpt from the SCCA rulebook:

And from PCA event requirements:

Note the recommendation for a rollbar or cage if using a harness system.

Many track day organizers follow PCA/SCCA/BMW requirements, and many will only allow seats that are manufactured with pass through holes in them, and won't allow modified seats.

It's all about legal liability these days!!!

Bob
Thanks for your detailed reply Bob. It seems once you go down the route, you have to do all or nothing. I am actually amazed how most owners do a half-baked job.

Everything up until the roll cage/bar can be done in a way so that it can easily be uninstalled, but I'm not sure about a roll cage/bar.

I am starting to change my mind about modifying the stock seats since it must be unsafe to do so (since it is not allowed by most racing bodies) any way.

Get notified of new replies

To Does any vendor modify stock seats for 5/6pt. harness?

Quick Reply: Does any vendor modify stock seats for 5/6pt. harness?