C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I swear they were doing it on purpose

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:51 PM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by C6z06man
Sounds like they were trying to pass some time.
No pun intended
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Sad, just plain stupid. Truckers used to be some of the best drivers and most polite on the road. Not any more.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Anything to avoid hitting the brake or throttle, whether it's cutting you off or taking 5 minutes to pass. Besides being bored and playing games at your expense.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I am not in the air I am usually on the road for work, most of the truckers are still really good, but ya do seem to get more fools now that the trucking industry exploaded and its one of the few places you can work without a higher education.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Joe B.
Anything to avoid hitting the brake or throttle, whether it's cutting you off or taking 5 minutes to pass. Besides being bored and playing games at your expense.
They dont care how much the slow traffic as long as they dont have to use their brakes. Happens all the time here in TX.

Once there was a truck wo wanted to go from the far right lane to the far left turn lane in rush hour traffic. He thought he owned the road and almost ran over a few cars, my vette included. I had the top off and yelled at him....go ahead and hit me a$$hole I want a new one!!
I was in the left lane waiting my turn, stopped at that.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 PM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Old Boot
When I am not in the air I am usually on the road for work, most of the truckers are still really good, but ya do seem to get more fools now that the trucking industry exploaded and its one of the few places you can work without a higher education.
Old Boot, I dont know that I would agree with the education part. I know plenty of very well educated folks, and they are some of the dumbest plants I have ever met. I get more sense out of a pint of Guinness than these turkeys. A formal education seems to be the current priveledge for those that can afford it rather than those that will benefit from it.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:13 PM
cegusa
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's why it is sometimes referred to as Die95. Gotta be careful out there
Old 04-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by SSWEET
while I wouldn't do it in the Corvette......when that happens to me I cut back in front of the 18 wheeler and sloooow way down and listen to them grind those gears......
Yea great, good way to get killed or kill someone else.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

unless you were driving like an A.. it is just that they can't see you. minivans with the mirrors facing down are the ones to watch out for.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its the young people texting that got me (young lady that is ) on my HD a few years ago.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticblast
And truckers used to be some of the most courteous drivers on the road. Now it seems they're just D**kheads like everyone else.
(Of course, some are still pretty courteous....maybe that was too general)
One almost planted me, my GS and my wife into the guardrail. I actually had to use full brakes to avoid him. Around here they like to cruise in the next to left lane no matter how many lanes there are (3-5) or try to pass going uphill. Then he got pissed when I stood on my horn a bit when I got next to his cab.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

And this is why I don't carry a gun....I'd be in jail......
Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

If it's on a hill, they figure that it's easier for you to get back up to speed than it is for them.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

It's not a conspiracy against you.
Keep in mind most trucks today are company owned. There are less and less owner operators out there. The larger companies are under immense pressure from FMCSA to adhere to safety standards.

The trucks now have on-board black boxes that record speed and many trucks have throttle governors. One truck may be capped at 67 and the other truck may be at 66 - that is why the pass takes so long.

If a driver gets a ticket, or recorded with a violation, that gets reported and shows up on FMSCA SafeStat. If that happens the driver gets a lower score and it brings down the company score. I can tell you first hand that I know carriers with lower scores get less business and make less money as a result. I also know that individual drivers with poor safestat scores make less money...

Bottom line, give the truck drivers a break. Most of these guys bust their backs in this industry to feed their family and stay safe.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Maybe they wanted you to stunt drive your Vette under their trailer box and come out the other side unscathed. All kidding aside, don't tangle with those big boys!!
I always stay away from them, one time I saw a big rig pop a rear outside tire, even with the windows up it was very loud. Plus the tire took out some cars front paint job.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishSpuds
Old Boot, I dont know that I would agree with the education part. I know plenty of very well educated folks, and they are some of the dumbest plants I have ever met. I get more sense out of a pint of Guinness than these turkeys. A formal education seems to be the current priveledge for those that can afford it rather than those that will benefit from it.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:33 PM
chiromed0
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run into that sometimes but if they think you're driving too aggressive I can see them screwing with you. No, it's not right but these guys "live" on the road so they can get moody. Just blow it off and enjoy your car.

Get notified of new replies

To I swear they were doing it on purpose

Old 04-18-2013, 12:41 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticblast
And truckers used to be some of the most courteous drivers on the road. Now it seems they're just D**kheads like everyone else.
(Of course, some are still pretty courteous....maybe that was too general)
Wrath episode withdrawn, lots of good drivers out there in big trucks, but it's the jerk-offs that give the rest a bad rep. My guess is that they were messing with you, not a good thing. All you need to do is leave them in the wake once your past the morons.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by SSWEET
while I wouldn't do it in the Corvette......when that happens to me I cut back in front of the 18 wheeler and sloooow way down and listen to them grind those gears......

Originally Posted by demon vette
smart! cut off a 80,000 lb truck and trust that a fatigued driver is alert enough and can react quickly and that his rig has proper working brakes. not to mention that "you" might be the one starting these dangerous games that you accuse these truckers of doing. your actions are potentially much more dangerous to the driving public because you could cause a chain reaction accident. think about it.

no one said brake checking...that would be retarded and dangerous. I just get in front of them and play oblivious and just slow down by coasting.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:04 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by demon vette
smart! cut off a 80,000 lb truck and trust that a fatigued driver is alert enough and can react quickly and that his rig has proper working brakes. not to mention that "you" might be the one starting these dangerous games that you accuse these truckers of doing. your actions are potentially much more dangerous to the driving public because you could cause a chain reaction accident. think about it.
Not only that...BUT it's bad Math. 80,000 lb goes over 3200 lbs ONE time ....Nothing left over!!

Quick Reply: I swear they were doing it on purpose