C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curb Alert Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Curb Alert Issue

I posted this issue to southerncarparts on their Curb Alert thread but the issue has returned.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1583592428-post19.html

Same as before, after washing my C6 the curb alert starts acting funny. I just finished washing my C6 and was about to pull back into the garage. Without even moving it beeped as if there was a curb. I got out thinking maybe I forgot my bucket in front of the car. Nope, complete clear. So I pulled into the garage, turned the car off and waited 10 minutes. Making sure there as nothing in front of the sensor, I turned the car back on and BEEP BEEP BEEP!

Turned car off, pointed the sensor level to the ground just in case it is "seeing" the floor. Only thing in front of the sensor now is the wall which is at least 5 feet away. I turned the car back on and BEEP BEEP BEEP!

Tried to re-calibrate and no joy. It constantly thinks something is in front of the sensor. If it is anything like last time, this issue may clear itself in a day or 2 but this is a PITA. I can't be the only person having this problem after a wash or did I just get a defective sensor and water is getting into the sensor somehow.

FYI: Since installing the curb alert, I have washed my car 2 times and both times I have had issues with curb alert.

Thoughts?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:33 PM
RO55
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had mine for 1 1/2 years and no problem like that. I do wash my car often too. They do come with a warranty - good luck!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 PM
jke_mn
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had a problem with mine after a wash. If you can't get a warranty replacement, I'd try sealing the sensor module seams to see if that helps before buying a new one.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

I will have to check on the warranty thing since it was a gift. I personally don't have a receipt for it.

Originally Posted by jke_mn
... I'd try sealing the sensor module seams to see if that helps before buying a new one.
I was thinking the same thing too. Maybe putting a bead of silicone around any of the seams in the sensor housing.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 AM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think replacement sensors are about $25. Hope I recall that correctly.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:30 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Southern Car Parts: I'm sure that they'll make it good.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:00 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Homer3D
If it is anything like last time, this issue may clear itself in a day or 2 but this is a PITA.
Well I called it. Curb Alert is working fine again. No phantom beeps or anything. I will give it one more wash and if it happens again that will be 3 for 3. Then I will hit up Southern Car Parts for a warranty replacement for the sensor or just seal the sensor in some way.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Did you try to re calibrate it? I am guess you may of knocked it out of Calibration.

Use the method in this video below and shoot me a PM and let me know.

Jim

Well I called it. Curb Alert is working fine again. No phantom beeps or anything. I will give it one more wash and if it happens again that will be 3 for 3. Then I will hit up Southern Car Parts for a warranty replacement for the sensor or just seal the sensor in some way.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:51 AM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

is the phantom beep a continuous beeping, or just one time. You know the curb alert beeps three times when it first gets turned on right? I have no problems with mine so far.....
Old 04-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by southerncarparts
Did you try to re calibrate it? I am guess you may of knocked it out of Calibration.

Jim
Yes. Both this time and the first time it happened I attempted to recalibrate. In both instances calibration would not work because the sensor alway felt there was something in front of it. I did exactly what was in the video. I would put a large box about 20 inches from the sensor (pointing level to the ground) and hit the calibration button. I get a long BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. I move the box away but the beep does not stop. Turn the car off, try again in 10-15 minutes and same result. I even when as far as disconnecting the ground and pulling the fuse for the curb alert to make sure it was not getting power from anything before trying calibration again. Once again, I get the long steady beep regardless if there is a box in front of the sensor or not.

After giving it a day to "dry" I went out and did the calibration again. Worked perfectly. Took me under a minute to calibrate the sensor.

Originally Posted by vig1116
is the phantom beep a continuous beeping, or just one time. You know the curb alert beeps three times when it first gets turned on right? I have no problems with mine so far.....
Yes I am aware there is a triple fast beep when the curb alert first turns on. The phantom beep that I refer to a different beep, the one that you get when you come close to a curb. The first time this happened I would get the beeps driving after the wash.

While driving I would get the beep sound as if I was coming up to a curb. Road was perfectly flat, wasn’t going in/out of a driveway or anything. I only went for a 4 mile day and it went off roughly every 30 seconds. However, 2 days later I drove the corvette again and everything was fine.
In any case, so far things are pointing to maybe a fault sensor or sensor housing allowing water to enter the sensor. When I wash my car again (in about 2 weeks) I will first use a small plastic bag and some tape or rubber band to enclose the sensor. Hopefully this will avoid getting the sensor wet and I will see how curb alert acts after that wash.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:43 AM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

I posted this issue to southerncarparts on their Curb Alert thread but the issue has returned.

Same as before, after washing my C6 the curb alert starts acting funny. I just finished washing my C6 and was about to pull back into the garage. Without even moving it beeped as if there was a curb. I got out thinking maybe I forgot my bucket in front of the car. Nope, complete clear. So I pulled into the garage, turned the car off and waited 10 minutes. Makh ing sure there as nothing in front of the sensor, I turned the car back on and BEEP BEEP BEEP!

Turned car off, pointed the sensor level to the ground just in case it is "seeing" the floor. Only thing in front of 9the sensor now is the wall which is at least 5 feet away. I turned the car back on and BEEP BEEP BEEP!

Tried to re-calibrate and no joy. It constantly thinks something is in front of the sensor. If it is anything like last time, this issue may clear itself in a day or 2 but this is a PITA. I can't be the only person having this problem after a wash or did I just get a defective sensor and water is getting into the sensor somehow.

FYI: Since installing the curb alert, I have washed my car 2 times and both times I have had issues with curb alert.

Thoughts?
I installed Curb Alert on my 2013 Grand Sport. Washed the car several times, no issues with Curb Alert function.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:57 AM
wj150v
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same as before, after washing my C6 the curb alert starts acting funny. I just finished washing my C6 and was about to pull back into the garage. Without even moving it beeped as if there was a curb. I got out thinking maybe I forgot my bucket in front of the car. Nope, complete clear. So I pulled into the garage, turned the car off and waited 10 minutes. Making sure there as nothing in front of the sensor, I turned the car back on and BEEP BEEP BEEP!

Turned car off, pointed the sensor level to the ground just in case it is "seeing" the floor. Only thing in front of the sensor now is the wall which is at least 5 feet away. I turned the car back on and BEEP BEEP BEEP!

Thoughts?
Homer- it sounds like the sensor may not tightened securely. If it has moved (rotated) during washing Please make sure the sensor is calibrated to the right curb height and tightened securely. If it still has the same issue after that, you could apply black silicone rubber on the sensor and on the sensor cable going into the housing (take care not to apply any silicne rubber on the lens. Your Curb Alert is warranted for 12 mo. Suggest you ask your vendor for a new sensor if the issue persists.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wj150v
Homer- it sounds like the sensor may not tightened securely. If it has moved (rotated) during washing Please make sure the sensor is calibrated to the right curb height and tightened securely. If it still has the same issue after that, you could apply black silicone rubber on the sensor and on the sensor cable going into the housing (take care not to apply any silicne rubber on the lens. Your Curb Alert is warranted for 12 mo. Suggest you ask your vendor for a new sensor if the issue persists.
I can guarantee the sensor is not moving. It is pretty tight. I am unable to move the sensor by hand so I doubt water causing it to move. Calibration during this "wet" time doesn't work because I get the long beep regardless if there is something in front of it or not. But once I give it a day or so to dry, calibration works fine. The issue is definitely a result of something in the sensor getting wet.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:59 PM
djohnson00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with the random beeping that was due to the ground being loose. Try checking the connections and make sure your ground is held in tight. If it is loose, it will cause the beeping
Old 05-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

This is a quick update on the issue. I washed my GS Saturday but before getting it wet, I wrapped the sensor in plastic and a rubber band. I did my wash like I normally do.

After I was done, I removed the plastic and Curb Alert worked without any issues. No recalibration needed. No phantom beeps. No issues at all. So the problem with the sensor acting up it directly related to the fact the sensor is getting wet.

Now I just have to decide it if is worth getting a replacement sensor or just deal with the one I have. Wrapping it in plastic wasn't too hard but I might just put a bead of silicone around all the seams and see if that helps.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 AM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

This is a quick update on the issue. I washed my GS Saturday but before getting it wet, I wrapped the sensor in plastic and a rubber band. I did my wash like I normally do.

After I was done, I removed the plastic and Curb Alert worked without any issues. No recalibration needed. No phantom beeps. No issues at all. So the problem with the sensor acting up it directly related to the fact the sensor is getting wet.

Now I just have to decide it if is worth getting a replacement sensor or just deal with the one I have. Wrapping it in plastic wasn't too hard but I might just put a bead of silicone around all the seams and see if that helps.
I have washed my 2013 GS convertible many times, and the Curb Alert Sensor has never giving me problems. I do avoid spraying a direct stream of water on the face of sensor. I use a gently spray when rinsing. Never had to wrap in plastic, nor apply silicone.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 AM
vig1116
Drifting

I don't want this to come out wrong, so it's not meant to be mean or bust *****, but why on earth would you go through all the trouble of silicone or wrapping it every time you wash when it is FREE to get a new one under warranty. It's usually no questions asked and it's in the mail and then you never have to worry again. You spent $160 for an item that is broken, get it replaced and be done with it....

Get notified of new replies

To Curb Alert Issue

Old 05-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vig1116
I don't want this to come out wrong, so it's not meant to be mean or bust *****, but why on earth would you go through all the trouble of silicone or wrapping it every time you wash when it is FREE to get a new one under warranty. It's usually no questions asked and it's in the mail and then you never have to worry again. You spent $160 for an item that is broken, get it replaced and be done with it....
Agreed but since it was a gift I don't have the original receipt so was entertaining other options to resolve my issue. But no worries here. The company the produces the Curb Alert had followed my thread and has offered me a replacement sensor. Awesome customer service right there!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the same problem too.
I wash my car and the sensor acts up.
They sente a replacement module first but after reading this I think it's probably the sensor. I will now seek a new one.
Thanks for the post.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:22 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Agreed but since it was a gift I don't have the original receipt so was entertaining other options to resolve my issue. But no worries here. The company the produces the Curb Alert had followed my thread and has offered me a replacement sensor. Awesome customer service right there!
I'm glad it's getting straightened out for you! Its much more fun/enjoyable when things work and you don't have to worry about covering every time or messing with it!!

Quick Reply: Curb Alert Issue