C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many times do people flash the brights at you at night?

Old 04-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default How many times do people flash the brights at you at night?

As the thread states...I never realized how freaking high and bright these HIDs are until now. I've only owned the car a week but so many people are flashing me thinking I'm running high beams. I just do a nice flick of the high beams to show them what the real high beams are like and they usually stop flashing.

Anyways, I'm coming from an Audi with HIDs that were pretty damn bright but for a car sitting so low I'm surprised it causes an issue with other motorists.

I hit the door unlock on the key fob walking to my car last night and I finally saw first hand why people are pissed when I'm driving towards them. I did buy the car used so unless the original owner did something to the stock lights they are ridiculously bright and aimed rather high. I can show a photo later when it gets darker out. Oh well, it's my way of a sports car getting even with all the soccer mom's and their oversized SUVs.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:37 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

If your lights are aimed correctly, you shouldn't be getting flashes to dim. They are easy to adjust. I usually set them to horizontal and mainly right angled on a level road.

When I got the SC on the car, the damn things went down and blinded the ants. I put coil-overs on the car to get it back up and got flashed constantly. I had to aim the HIDs correctly to be at peace with the world.

Elmer
Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

one of those people flashing may have bad reflexes and worse eyes. I'd get the level right, and soon, or you may be meeting one of those "flashers" in a way that will take your lights out. just saying to be careful because it's not like you're doing it to yourself----it's the person coming the other way.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
If your lights are aimed correctly, you shouldn't be getting flashes to dim. They are easy to adjust. I usually set them to horizontal and mainly right angled on a level road.

When I got the SC on the car, the damn things went down and blinded the ants. I put coil-overs on the car to get it back up and got flashed constantly. I had to aim the HIDs correctly to be at peace with the world.

Elmer
care to elaborate on how to adjust? I'll go outside and do it now. Car is in a garage so I can just aim it at the wall or something.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:57 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Never had this problem.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

A corollary to your issue is that, because the Vette rides so low, we see oncoming low-beam headlights brighter than in a normal-height car.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 PM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by LS WON
Never had this problem.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When we first got our 2006 and the HID lights were not common; people would occasionally flash us, thinking that anything so bright had to be high beams. After a while on the 2006, and after trading for the 2009, very few flashes.

I wonder if someone had previously adjusted the OP's lights upward, or adjusted the suspension so the front is angled upward a bit.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:55 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I only get this when my fog lights are on too, and very rarely. I acknowledge with a flash of brights, and they sheepishly return to low beams. If I think somebody's brights are on, I usually do nothing, just look to the right side until they pass. This cuts off road rage before it starts.

Sometimes on wavy roads, oncoming traffic headlights may bob up and down enough to give the momentary optical delusion of brights. I finally noticed this after only about 30 years of driving.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:59 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Has not happened as of yet, (5 years).
Old 04-23-2013, 04:59 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl

Elmer
A. I would look at their adjustment first - could be aimed high.

B. The offended, now blind, ants have contracted with their Bullet Ant counterparts, to pay a little revenge visit to your sleeping bag

C. Ain't it grand to be at peace with the world
Old 04-23-2013, 05:04 PM
ButchN
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
I only get this when my fog lights are on too
Fogs aim lower that headlamps &, peopel flashing when they see fogs on are numb as even most "uneducated with cars" people know fogs mean low beams.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by butchn
Fogs aim lower that headlamps &, peopel flashing when they see fogs on are numb as even most "uneducated with cars" people know fogs mean low beams.
except a VAG-COM on my old Audi allowed me to keep high beams on with fogs (illegal I know lol)

Anyways quick google search I found the adjustment it's 6mm allen wrench under the hood. I'll play with it later when it gets dark outside.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:31 PM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AviBen
A corollary to your issue is that, because the Vette rides so low, we see oncoming low-beam headlights brighter than in a normal-height car.
So true!!!

Any SUV or pickup coming my way looks like it has its high beams on.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
When we first got our 2006 and the HID lights were not common; people would occasionally flash us, thinking that anything so bright had to be high beams. After a while on the 2006, and after trading for the 2009, very few flashes.

I wonder if someone had previously adjusted the OP's lights upward, or adjusted the suspension so the front is angled upward a bit.

Use to happen to me when I first bought my 07.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:39 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,557 Likes on 1,639 Posts

I have never been "flashed" by oncoming drivers when my headlights are on. However, let me turn on the fog lights and I get flashed like CRAZY! I took the car back to the dealer to have the fog lights adjusted and "surprise, surprise", I am told the fog lights are NON-ADJUSTABLE...
Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 PM
southpaw5000
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
I have never been "flashed" by oncoming drivers when my headlights are on. However, let me turn on the fog lights and I get flashed like CRAZY! I took the car back to the dealer to have the fog lights adjusted and "surprise, surprise", I am told the fog lights are NON-ADJUSTABLE...
I have a 2005 and adjusted my fogs. There is a small hole bekow the light in tha valence. You need a long T-10 torx to adjust if i remember correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To How many times do people flash the brights at you at night?

Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

Back in 2005 when I got my coupe these lights were rare and I used to have some folks think my brights were on.

not so much in recent years...
Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,418 Likes on 2,789 Posts

Most of the people flashing you for OEM HIDs are actually drunk. Alcohol increases your sensitivity to light, so if you're getting flashed by people in a larger vehicle than you because of your HIDs... its probably alcohol related.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:20 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Maybe once every other year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many times do people flash the brights at you at night?