C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto or manual????

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Slammedc5..
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a c5 auto. Then a manual. Yes the auto " shifted" faster, but the 6 doped manual was faster in the quarter mile due to the gear ratios.
I now have a c6 z51 stick. Its definatly the quickest c6 I test drove. The manual is lighter and stronger.
For those of us that swap in a nice cam to add 70 plus rwhp. We don't need to add a converter at the same time.
To sum it up, I race it, drive in the worst traffic, and the auto was the most boring car ever. That's just me.

Why don't the zo6 or zr1 come in an auto ?
Old 05-03-2013, 04:40 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by CAPTRKO
In the process of buying my 4th C6. All had MN6....and I love shifting gears, but my current target car is a Convertible A6 with Paddle shifters. I am curious if people really like the paddle shifter? It looks like fun and the best of both worlds. I always thought the Ferrari was cool with them........

Seems like a good compromise is the Paddle shifter? Thoughts on this gentlemen?
I use them exclusively. Wouldn't have been an option without paddles. They are a blast.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:03 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
love the paddles on my 013. shifts like stick without the clutch. up shift, down shift doesn't matter it still feels like stick. you tell me while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. loved the stick back when i had my 67 and 69 vette but i out grew it. a6 all the way. imo
No disrespect but every vehicle I own (minus work vans) has 6 speed shiftable auto and not a single one of them "shifts like a stick" without a clutch. They're just automatics
Old 05-03-2013, 06:55 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by The BreeZe
It's simple....you steer an automatic....your drive a manual.
That sums it up nicely. And it has nothing to do with 'machismo'. Driving a manual is definitely more work; manual drivers see that as an enjoyment, and auto drivers as a hassle. That's an easy way to find out which camp you're on . And yes, in a land where most folks want everything done for them, we manual drivers are losing the battle indeed . It's not going to be long before no car is available with a manual; enjoy them now while you can .

Last edited by JCtx; 05-03-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CAPTRKO
In the process of buying my 4th C6. All had MN6....and I love shifting gears, but my current target car is a Convertible A6 with Paddle shifters. I am curious if people really like the paddle shifter? It looks like fun and the best of both worlds. I always thought the Ferrari was cool with them........

Seems like a good compromise is the Paddle shifter? Thoughts on this gentlemen?
Well this should probably be a new thread so that the posts to your question don't get all shot up in the crossfire. But I will attempt to answer your question understanding that I will probably tick off a manny Vette owner or two.

I have owned 3 stick shift sports cars (Camaro, Acura Integra and Audi TT). I understand the enjoyment of stick shifts and appreciate the seemingly extra dimension of control (largely when driving sticks on European roads). I now own a 2012 Grand Sport A6 and really wrestled with the question of A6 or M6 before the purchase. I said it earlier in this thread and will say it again. When I program the GS to be in both Sport and Competitive mode (as I usually do when my trip doesn't involve getting on the interstate for any length of time nor heavy stop and go traffic), the car very much behaves like a manual transmission car. So, for me it's as close to the best of both worlds as one can get, and it is the only way to get close to the best of both worlds until the day they introduce a manual transmission automobile where you can disable the clutch requirement and still shift the car easily and smoothly.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:57 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I've got a 6 spd manual and it's the best of both worlds. If I want to drive a standard I pull up to a stop light, then do the gear and clutchy thingy. Once I get tired of that (and believe me it can wear you out) I just drive on and on and on and it's like a automatic! Again once I get bored with the auto thingy I find another stop light and start it all over again. It's the coolest thing ever!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:05 PM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08 & '12

Originally Posted by SK360
And chances are I'll out drive your manual z06 with my ****** automatic "base" level car. Lot more to being fast then pushing a clutch pedal.
Ok I have turned 11.01 at Martin Dragway here in Mich. with my only mods being cai and tune. Not as fast as your base but I am 60 years old and slowing down a bit

I have stated several times in this thread I have had both and enjoyed both.

I neve once said anything negitive about the "base" level car I don't play that.

Last edited by slolane; 05-03-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

These threads are like a broken record and should be a Sticky.
Then we wont' have to keep typing and can just read it over and over again

PS: Yeah, .... so like aaah, ... which one is betta
Old 05-03-2013, 08:56 PM
CAPTRKO
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rathmullan
Well this should probably be a new thread so that the posts to your question don't get all shot up in the crossfire. But I will attempt to answer your question understanding that I will probably tick off a manny Vette owner or two.

I have owned 3 stick shift sports cars (Camaro, Acura Integra and Audi TT). I understand the enjoyment of stick shifts and appreciate the seemingly extra dimension of control (largely when driving sticks on European roads). I now own a 2012 Grand Sport A6 and really wrestled with the question of A6 or M6 before the purchase. I said it earlier in this thread and will say it again. When I program the GS to be in both Sport and Competitive mode (as I usually do when my trip doesn't involve getting on the interstate for any length of time nor heavy stop and go traffic), the car very much behaves like a manual transmission car. So, for me it's as close to the best of both worlds as one can get, and it is the only way to get close to the best of both worlds until the day they introduce a manual transmission automobile where you can disable the clutch requirement and still shift the car easily and smoothly.

Great response! Thank you for the insight!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:56 AM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
Old 05-04-2013, 08:05 AM
CAPTRKO
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SK360
I use them exclusively. Wouldn't have been an option without paddles. They are a blast.
Good to know...thanks!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:09 PM
stingraynick75
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

From what I see on this post is, I cant go wrong...hey ita a bad *** american made sports car and the best vette to get is....hell, it dont matter, as long as we live in this country we can decide and Live Life To The Fullest... My car should be here Monday and then I need to change my moniker from stingraynick75 to ?
Old 05-04-2013, 01:52 PM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08 & '12

Originally Posted by stingraynick75
From what I see on this post is, I cant go wrong...hey ita a bad *** american made sports car and the best vette to get is....hell, it dont matter, as long as we live in this country we can decide and Live Life To The Fullest... My car should be here Monday and then I need to change my moniker from stingraynick75 to ?
Yellow 6spd manual of course
Old 05-04-2013, 03:20 PM
stingraynick75
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by slolane
Yellow 6spd manual of course
how about yell6spman08 ?
Old 05-04-2013, 03:24 PM
6893Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stingraynick75
you can't go wrong. The performance difference between the manual and automatic has narrowed so much that its now a preference issue. Do you like to row through the gears? Do you like the engagement that is required by the manual? Do you like the added skill required to heel toe shift a manual at high speeds? This takes nothing away from the automatic. The automatic is a great performing car and it takes skill to drive it fast on a track, and in every day use, is much easier to use (when in bumper to bumper traffic a manual can be a drag). It's really just your preference. Do you like Coke or Pepsi? I like them both and decided to buy the best used Vette I could find in the best possible shape for the money. I've owned 3 Vette, 2 manual and 1 automatic. I love them all for different reasons. I'm very happy to have manual on my C6 and that is my preference. Let us know what you do, share pictures and whatever you do, save the wave.....
Old 05-04-2013, 04:18 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif

PS: Yeah, .... so like aaah, ... which one is betta
Well.....so which one...?? lol
Old 05-04-2013, 07:07 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

i see the new porsche 911 comes in auto shift only. that should answer your question about which one to go with.

Get notified of new replies

To auto or manual????

Old 05-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Auto or Manual is like discussing which color car you prefer, chrome or non chrome wheels, light or dark interiors, xm radio or cd's, tinted or non tinted windows,coupe or vert,blondes or brunettes, Democrat or Republican, !!! YIKES I better stop right NOW !! SORRY !! ****
Old 05-04-2013, 07:35 PM
6893Vette
Burning Brakes

i see the new porsche 911 comes in auto shift only. that should answer your question about which one to go with.
911 also comes with DCT auto, as good as the Corvettes auto is, you can't compare that with the Corvette's auto.

In my mind the auto and manual in the Corvette will be about even until the Corvette gets a DCT auto.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:18 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

So Porsche is the standard in car manufacturing? Funny!

Quick Reply: auto or manual????